Two of my favorite pastimes on this site? Linking and Flowers.
(1) Linking service men and women that never returned from the wars, be it Civil, WWI, WWII. Most of my memorials where transferred from the War Memorial folks who created them and transferred to Find A Grave. It is my way of helping.
(2) I never tire of searching for a known parent of a memorial and linking them! Why? Every one came from someone - no one just dropped out of the sky! Although, I admit, sometimes it feels that way!
(3) Flowers! as you can see I enjoy leaving them. Finding a Flower on a site is a joy! Please consider leaving one!
Three of my favorite "olden time" poems and inscriptions-
Brother Thou art gone to rest.
Thy toils and cares are o'er.
And sorrow pain and suffering now.
Shall ne'er distress thee more.
O sacred source of everlasting light,
Conduct the weary wanderer in her flight,
Direct her onward to that peaceful shore,
Where peril, pain, and death are felt no more.
“In Flanders Fields” by John McCrae
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
If you are new, please, take time to read the FAQs. They will help you succeed on this site. I have found that "Please" and "Thank you" go a long way.
Genealogy research has taken me to cemeteries in Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Virginia, Nebraska, Nevada, and California. Check my "Virtual Cemeteries" for some family members and friends!
Locations and Surnames researched are:
(1) England, Canada, USA, CT, MA: Owen, Downhill, Hamlet
(2) New England: Elmer, Van Valkenburg, Steele, Nims, Clark, Dix
(3) Canada, Poland, NH, MA: Biela, Charette, Gagnon, Rogers
(4) Ireland, MD, FL: Ford, Vail, Geoghegan, Dixon
(5) VA, PA: Johnson, Avery, Hardaway, Harrison
(6) NY, NE, NV, TN, AL, TX: Nesbitt, Pearce, Johnson, Bennett
I hope you find someone you're looking for in my postings and enjoy them as much as I did creating the memorial and adding the photos. Please, feel free to upload your own picture to any memorial I have created or maintain.
The biographies and photos posted here are updated often - One of the benefits of "maintaining" a memorial!
Thank you to all who walk the yards of stones, and photograph what they see.
Favorite Video about Grave Yards!
Dance In The Grave Yard (a please read the comments.)
When I've gone on to the great hereafter I authorize Find A Grave to assign my memorials to Gracie, FIND A GRAVE ID 47653696.
Search memorial contributions by Sue Downhill