I am an amateur military historian and genealogist. I am interested in researching the burial locations of U.S. military service men and women, particularly at Arlington National Cemetery in Fort Myer, Virginia, and the U.S. Naval Academy Cemetery in Annapolis, Maryland.
I am also researching my family tree, particularly the Shewan family members who originated in Aberdeenshire, Scotland and their descendents throughout the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
My Scots great-grandfather, William J. Shewan (1867 - 1947) and his son, my grandfather, William W. Shewan (1895 - 1973) arrived at Ellis Island on July 2, 1911 and settled in Erie, Pennsylvania.
In addition to my paternal line, I am researching other family lines, including:
* Akre (originally Aakre in Norwegian)
Other cemeteries of interest:
* Air Force Academy Cemetery, Colorado Springs, CO
* Barrancas Nat'l Cemetery, Pensacola, FL
* Congressional Cemetery, Washington, DC
* Fort Rosecrans Nat'l Cemetery, San Diego, CA
* Golden Gate Nat'l Cemetery, San Francisco, CA
* Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, VA
* Oak Hill Cemetery, Washington, DC
* Quantico Nat'l Cemetery, Triangle, VA
* Rock Creek Cemetery, Washington DC
* Soldiers' Nat'l Cemetery, Washington, DC
* West Point Cemetery, West Point, NY
Some of my photo contributions can be seen here.
To all the Find A Grave photo volunteers who have been kind enough to take photos of my family's gravestones at my request over the past year, I thank you most gratefully for your time and effort. With graves throughout the United States, the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, it would not be feasible for me to visit them all and take my own photos. I am extremely grateful to Find A Grave, and to the photo volunteers, for helping me to research my family.
I give my permission to use any of my photos, providing 1) it is not for commercial use, and 2) attribution is given.