I am a direct descendant of several notable ancestors through my father's side of the family including:
* Lieut. Joseph Kellogg (1626-1707), who emigrated to America prior to 1653 and became an early proprietor of Hadley, MA. He is my 9th great-grandfather.
* James Cutler (1606-1694), who in 1634 landed at Watertown, Colony of Massachusetts, North America. He is my 10th great-grandfather.
* Deacon Samuel Chapin (1598-1675), who emigrated to America in 1638 and is one of the founders of Springfield, MA in 1641. He is my 11th great-grandfather.
The oldest ancestor I am aware of is Nicholas Kellogg (1488-1558), who was the son of Nicholas Kellogg, Lord of Audley. He is my 13th great-grandfather.
My wife is a direct descendant of:
* George Soule (1593-1679), who is one of the Mayflower Pilgrims, who landed in America in 1620. He is her 10th great-grandfather.
* John Alden (1598-1687), who is one of the Mayflower Pilgrims and said to be the first person to set foot on Plymouth Rock in 1620. He is her 11th great-grandfather.
Other notable persons in our family tree include:
* Harry Foster Chapin (Musician) is an 8th cousin once removed of my paternal grandmother
* Mary Chapin Carpenter (Musician) is an 8th cousin once removed of my paternal grandmother
* Will Keith Kellogg (Founder of Kelloggs Cereal) is a 4th cousin 5 times removed of my father
* President William Howard Taft is a 7th cousin twice removed of my great-grandfather
* President John Adams, Jr. is related (17 steps)
* President John Quincy Adams is related (18 steps)
* Warren Buffett (Investor and philanthropist) is related (23 steps)
* William Bradford (Mayflower Pilgrim) is related (23 steps)
* Clinton Eastwood, Jr. (Actor) is related (24 steps)
* Norma Jean Baker (Actor) is an 8th cousin once removed of my wife's grandfather
* Orson Welles (Director) is an 8th cousin once removed of my wife's grandfather
* Richard Tiffany Gere (Actor) is a 9th cousin of my mother-in-law
* Dick van Dyke (Actor) is a 9th cousin of my mother-in-law
* Barry van Dyke (Actor) is related (22 steps)
As I have worked towards building our family tree the "Find A Grave" web site has been an invaluable source of information. And because my hobbies include photography and genealogy, I am gladly volunteering my efforts to try and photograph gravestones in my area.