- Member for
- 8 years · 2 months · 4 days
- Find A Grave ID
2016/01/11 Official Ask an Admin, Mark: quote> The FAQ are guidelines and the guidelines are the RULES. Hence the FAQ are the RULES.
2013/04/13 Help Forum, Admin. A. J. Marik:
quote> Rules are rules, and in this case, guidelines are rules. Please abide by them. They aren't that difficult.
2011/11/30 Help Forum, Admin. A. J. Marik:
quote> The FAQs are definitely guiderules ... or are they rulelines? No matter. The FAQs *absolutely* detail site policy and all members are expected to follow them and abide by them.
Below are some FaG FAQ extracts about some common errors ...
- How do I enter a memorial when I am uncertain how many are buried in the grave? Only one memorial per person. Please do not create a family/group memorial. Instead each known person has an individual memorial.
- Why are there multiple memorials for the same individual? How does Find A Grave handle duplicate memorials?
There are some situations where an individual (usually a 'famous' individual) may have more than one memorial page, because their body was buried in one location but a cenotaph or second marker/memorial was also placed in a second location.
- What is a cenotaph? A cenotaph is a tomb or a monument erected in honor of a person or group of persons whose remains are buried elsewhere.
- Can I post a photo containing the text "unmarked grave" or post a generic image of a grave to represent an unmarked grave?
No. Please record that information in the Note &/or Plot section of the memorial page.
- If a headstone is not readable at all and you have plot information and a photo for the marker, please add the memorial as:
first name Unknown
last name Unknown
This is the standard.
Please do not use other terms unless they identify the person, for example:
Child, Twin, Infant, Adult, Male, Female
- What are your memorial naming conventions?
. Suffixes and Prefixes do not belong in any Name Field.
. If a hyphen or an apostrophe is part of the name, use the punctuation.
. Use a period after names where only an initial is known. If the full name is known, use the full name and not the initial.
. Do not use any other punctuation within any Name Field.
. Do not use Full capitalization (ALL-CAPS) of names in any Name Field.
FAG administration says that any other info ie: surname spelling variations, should be put into a memorial's notes area. Thanks for your co-operation with FAG rules :)
I have some virtual directories with duplicate memorials ... can you help clear up any of the duplicates that have been around for over 7 years ?
No Find A Grave members followed yet.