1) OECONYMS: Slovenian gravestones often contain oeconyms (farm/house names, hišna imena). Sometimes it isn't clear which name is the surname and which the oeconym. In some cases I've entered oeconyms as surnames when no surname is available. Corrections are appreciated. Try searching an individual Slovenian cemetery by first name instead of last name if you think a memorial may have been entered using an oeconym.
2) DIACRITICS: This site no longer searches for many special characters (čšž äöüß etc.); searching for them returns reconfigured names (e.g., looking for "Božič" returns only "Boi"). To find such records, try searching by truncated last names ("Bo" for "Božič"), and/or first names that don't have diacritics ("Zofija Bo" for "Zofija Božič," "Marica" for "Marica Črv"). (Select "Do partial name search on surname".) Also try scanning known cemeteries ("View all interments"), which is a good idea anyhow because of spelling variations.
Another option: enter "site:.findagrave.com" (without quotes) followed by a space and the name you are searching for into your web browser (e.g., "site:.findagrave.com božič").
3) ALPHABETIZATION: Names with diacritics don't properly alphabetize (ČABC...XÜYZÄÖŠŽ), so be sure to scan up and down lists when searching.
4) WRONG CHARACTERS: This site sometimes incorrectly changes some letters with diacritics (e.g., č as è). I've tried to fix this where possible, but some of the Slovenian cemetery names are spelled wrong and I cannot fix them.
5) SISTORY links: Many of my wartime memorials include information (dates, places, relations) from the SiStory website. Any web addresses given were accurate at the time posted, but some of the ID numbers have changed over time.
No Find a Grave members followed yet.
Search memorial contributions by Donald Reindl