The house passed from the family's possession by 1827 when Sarah Carlyle Herbert died and John Carlyle Herbert sold it to pay off an uncle's gambling debt. He himself had moved to Maryland in the first decade of the nineteenth century.
Maintained by: Find A Grave
Record added: Jun 03, 2003
Find A Grave Memorial# 7530795
John Carlyle Herbert is her eldest son
"Carlyle family and descendants of John and Sarah (Fairfax) Carlyle ; The Carlyle House and its associations"
Sarah Carlyle- eldest dau. of John and Sarah (Fairfax)
Carlyle, m. William Herbert of Alexandria, Va.
1. John Carlyle Herbert married Mary Snowden
2. William Herbert married Henrietta Maria Dulany
3. Margaret Herbert m 9th Lord Fairfax, Thomas Fairfax
4. Sarah Herbert m. Rev. Oliver Norris, Rector of Christ's Episcopal Church, Alexandria, Fairfax Co., Virginia
5. Anne Herbert d. un.
6. Eliza Herbert d. un. 1865
7. Lucinda Herbert d. un.