Aaron Coddington Fisher

Aaron Coddington Fisher

Somerset County, New Jersey, USA
Death 20 May 1892 (aged 71)
Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, USA
Burial Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, USA
Plot Section K Lot 92
Memorial ID 91617788 · View Source
Suggest Edits

AARON CODDINGTON FISHER, the fourth son in the family of twelve children of Jeremiah [Fisher] and Hannah (Coddington) Fisher, was born in Somerset County, New Jersey, September 22, 1820. His father was a descendant of Hendrick Fisher, of Bound Brook, New Jersey, who was born in 1703, the year that Hendrick Fisher, Sr., arrived at that place.

The elder Hendrick Fisher died on October 17, 1749. From an old number of the Messenger of Somerville, New Jersey, we gather the following particulars concerning the son: Hendrick Fisher was a man of earnest piety, and much respected. He was one of the founders of Queen's, now Rutger's College, and was a noted man in the province for many years. He possessed great intelligence and energy, and was always on the patriotic side in every controversy, and of an irreproachable character. He earnestly supported his pastor — the Rev. Theodore J. Frelinghuysen — in his efforts to introduce a strict evangelical life in his church, and perhaps no person had more influence than he had in securing the results that were reached. When the oppressive acts of the King and Parliament aroused the Colonies to resistance, he, in company with Joseph Borden and Robert Ogden, represented the province of New Jersey in the Congress known as the "Stamp Act Congress." He was a delegate to the Provincial Congress of New Jersey, which met at Trenton in May, 1775, of which important body he was elected President, and in his opening address set forth in a forcible manner the grievances of the American Colonies. He was Chairman of the Committee of Safety, exercising legislative authority during the recess of Congress, and held other offices of honor and trust. He was a member of the Assembly previous to the breaking out of the Revolution, and in the Provincial Congress at Trenton, in December, 1775, moved that the delegates to the General Congress be instructed to use their influence in favor of a Declaration of Independence, and when the immortal document was received, he was the first to read it to his neighbors and constituents. When he had finished, so great was their joy, that they mounted him on their shoulders and paraded him through the street (there was but one—the great Raritan Road) in triumph. The old bell of "Kets " Hall, which then hung in the belfry of the Presbyterian Church, was rung, cannon were fired, and the patriots drank toasts at the bar in the tavern of Peter Hardending. He died on the tenth of May, 1779, leaving two sons, Jeremiah and Hendrick. The former was probably the great grandfather of A. C. Fisher. The mother of the last named was born in New Jersey in 1792, and his parents were married in 1811.

About the year 1825 the family moved from New Jersey to Genesee County, New York, and lived there about twelve years. In 1837 they moved to Monroe County, Michigan, where they remained three years, and then moved to Mount Vernon, Ohio, remaining there seven years, and then in 1847 coming to Detroit. Here, in 1853, the elder Mr. Fisher died, and on April 16, 1883, the wife and mother also passed away.

In his youth Aaron C. Fisher attended school in the winter, and in the summer worked on the farm. As he grew to manhood he not only provided for himself, but assisted his parents also. Wages at this time were so low that, at the age of seventeen, he worked a whole month for a barrel of flour. At this period he was already learning the rudiments of his subsequent occupation as a builder, and was employed in a brickyard at sixteen dollars per month and his board. When he had reached his eighteenth year he began to feel anxious to settle down in some permanent occupation and in the Spring of 1839, seeing no other opening, he commenced to learn the business of an iron molder and served an apprenticeship at the business, following the same nearly seven years, but disliking this occupation he began to look around for one that suited him better. His elder brother being a bricklayer and builder in Mount Vernon, Ohio, where he was then living, he at intervals turned his attention to the art of bricklaying and became a thorough and practical workman.

In 1847 he came with his father's family to Detroit, and during the first year after his arrival here he worked about six weeks at molding in O. M. Hydes' foundry near the old Water Works. He then turned his attention to building, and in the year 1848 entered into partnership with his brother Elam, who was also an expert bricklayer, and the firm soon became prominent builders and contractors. The partnership continued under the name of E. & A. C. Fisher for about seventeen years, and was dissolved in 1865. During the continuance of the partnership the firm erected many prominent structures, and scores of buildings of their erection are still standing; among them may be named the building on the northwest corner of Jefferson Avenue and Griswold Street, occupied by A. Ives & Son, bankers, also the block opposite on the northeast corner, erected for the late John S. Bagg; they also built the "Rotunda," formerly standing on the site of the present Newberry & McMillan Building ; also the north half of the Merrill Block, formerly known as the Waterman Block, on the corner of Woodward Avenue and Larned Street. Later on they built the north half of the entire block on the east side of Woodward Avenue, between Congress and Larned Streets, also the block on the corner of Monroe Avenue and Farmer Street, running down to the Kirkwood House. They also erected the residence of the late Zachariah Chandler, the Fort Street Congregational Church, the First Presbyterian Church, on the corner of Farmer and State Streets, and the Fisher Block, facing the Campus Martius.

After the dissolution of the partnership in 1865, A. C. Fisher carried on the business on his own account until the Spring of 1867, and then, with David Baker, he embarked in the carriage hardware trade, under the firm name of Fisher, Baker & Co. The firm continued until March 1, 1882, when Mr. Fisher sold out his interest to Baker, Gray & Co., and since that date he has given his entire time to the care of his own large landed interests and to the administration of the large estate left in his care by his deceased brother Elam. Mr. Fisher is modest, quiet, and retiring in disposition, prompt in his business engagements, faithful in the discharge of whatever trusts are confided to him, and is in every way a worthy and estimable citizen.

He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since he was eighteen years old, and for the last thirty-five years has been an official and leading member of th^ church in Detroit, and at present is President of the Board of Trustees of the Central Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a liberal giver, conscientious in his duties, and a wise counsellor. Until five years ago he voted with the Republican party. He then united with the Prohibition party, and upon this issue ran for State Treasurer in 1886, and gives, and lives, and labors in the hope of the final triumph of Prohibition.

He was married March 21, 1844, to Eliza L. Willis. They have had three children, Adelaide, Mrs. Lottie F. Smalley and Mrs. Charles B. Gray. The last named is the only one now living.

Silas Farmer, The History of Detroit and Michigan, Silas Farmer & Co., Detroit, Wayne Co., Michigan, 1889, pp 1145-1146


Brother of
Elam Fisher
Mary Fisher Willis

Family Members



  • Created by: Twist
  • Added: 9 Jun 2012
  • Find a Grave Memorial 91617788
  • Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com : accessed ), memorial page for Aaron Coddington Fisher (22 Sep 1820–20 May 1892), Find a Grave Memorial no. 91617788, citing Elmwood Cemetery, Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, USA ; Maintained by Twist (contributor 46920390) .