John “Johnny” Bubar

John “Johnny” Bubar

New Brunswick, Canada
Death 28 Nov 1902 (aged 54)
Brainerd, Crow Wing County, Minnesota, USA
Burial Brainerd, Crow Wing County, Minnesota, USA
Plot Block 11, Lot 54, N 1/2
Memorial ID 89009576 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Arrived in Brainerd in 1873.

•See Justus M. Gray.
•See Nicholas Heller.

      John Bubar won the prize of $5.00 at the ten pin contest on Friday night last, making 272 points. (Brainerd Dispatch, 07 February 1884, p. 3, c. 2)

John Bubar married Annie Rabia [sic] on November 20, 1884 in Crow Wing County, Minnesota.

The bride's last name is variously spelled Rabia, Riebe and Reibe.

                        A WEDDING.

      As announced in last week's DISPATCH the wedding of John Bubar to Miss Annie Riebe [sic] took place on Tuesday evening, the ceremony being performed at 8:30 o'clock by Rev. N. B. Kelly at Mr. Bubar's residence, instead of at the Episcopal church as was stated by mistake. The members of Hope Hose Co. No. 1 were in attendance in full uniform they having displayed the flag on the hose house during the day, and made all arrangements for the grand ball and banquet which followed the joyous occasion. After the marriage ceremonies were over the company adjourned to the dancing hall at the Commercial House and tripped the light fantastic toe until the supper was announced, and which was prepared at the Metropolitan restaurant, being quite elaborate. There were many valuable presents given, among which was an elegant silver caster by James Dewar, Wm. E. Martin and Geo. W. Holland. Also a beautiful silver butter dish from Mrs. Milspaugh and Tom Sanborn, and an elegantly bound album from D. M. Clough and B. F. Hartley. (Brainerd Dispatch, 21 November 1884, p. 3, c. 2)

                 Policemen's Troubles.

      The police officers in Brainerd seem to be having plenty of fun these days. Last week Chief Shontell was tried on the charge of false imprisonment of a young lady, and this week Officer Derush [sic] was arrested for the false imprisonment of John Bubar. It seems that the policeman made an arrest on Tuesday night about one o'clock, the man being drunk, and Bubar went down to the cooler to see if he could in any way induce the officer to release the man, as he was a friend of his, but Derush [sic] concluded he could not let the man go even if Bubar did go [sic] [give] verbal security for his appearance in the morning. Here is where the stories of the officer and Bubar disagree, the officer claiming that Bubar interfered with him and was abusive, and he put him into the lock up but released him shortly afterward, while Bubar claims that he did not interfere at all and only asked to be allowed to put up for his friend's appearance in the morning. The Judge will render his decision next Wednesday morning on both cases. (Brainerd Dispatch, 17 July 1885, p. 3, c. 5)

               They Were Discharged.

      The cases of Mose Derush [sic] and Wm. Shontell who were arrested for false imprisonment were discharged from the municipal court on Wednesday by the judge. The former was arrested at the instance of J. Bubar, an account of which was given in last week's paper, and the outcome of which was quite visible from the start, Mr. Derush [sic] having only acted as any officer would under the same circumstances. The case of Shontell has attracted considerable attention from our citizens, and the outcome of the judge's decision has been watched with considerable interest. Mr. Douglas concluded that the officer could not be held for false imprisonment in this case and consequently discharged him. It seems to us that if the city has a police force that their actions should be respected while in the performance of their duty. The average police officer's life in Brainerd is not a desirable one at best. (Brainerd Dispatch, 24 July 1885, p. 3, c. 4)

      John Bubar, of the Clarendon house, made up his mind to keep the cold air out of his hotel and accordingly built a storm shed on the sidewalk four feet and eight inches wide over the door. Alderman Sundberg objected and had Mr. Bubar arrested for obstructing the sidewalk and to settle the matter Mr. Bubar reduced the width to two feet and a half. (Brainerd Dispatch, 24 December 1886, p. 4, c. 3)

      John Bubar has hoisted a flaming new sign at his place of business which bears the legend Lumberman's Exchange. The hotel was formerly the Clarendon. (Brainerd Dispatch, 23 September 1887, p. 4, c. 4)

      The Lumberman's Exchange hotel will be opened by a grand ball next Tuesday evening. (Brainerd Dispatch, 23 November 1888, p. 4, c. 3)

      The opening ball given at the Lumberman's Exchange hotel on Tuesday evening was a brilliant success. (Brainerd Dispatch, 30 November 1888, p. 4, c. 3)

      John Bubar thinks of enlarging his hotel by building a 25 foot addition. (Brainerd Dispatch, 06 May 1892, p. 4, c. 3)

                       Barn Burned.

      The large barn on Fourth street leased by John Bubar and used as a feed stable in connection with the Lumberman's Exchange Hotel, was burned early Sunday morning. The building was entirely destroyed and it was only by the hardest and most faithful work on the part of the department that Holst's blacksmith shop abutting it on the south was saved. The building was owned by Mrs. J. C. Rosser, of Grand Rapids, and insured for $400 in the American Ins. Co. It was worth between five and six hundred dollars, hence the net lost is not great. Mr. Bubar had about eight tons of hay stored there, which was a total loss. It was fortunate that the barn was unoccupied that night. The fire was of incendiary origin. The person who is supposed to have done the work is known, but it is not thought sufficient evidence can be found to convict. (Brainerd Dispatch, 01 February 1895, p. 4, c. 5)

   Lumberman's Exchange Hotel Leased.

      County Commissioner John Bubar has leased his hotel property, the Lumberman's Exchange, to Ed. McDonald, of Little Falls, who will take charge May 1st. Mr. Bubar is just recovering from a long spell of sickness and feels the need of rest, hence he determined to retire from the active management of the hotel. Concerning the new proprietor the Little Falls Transcript says:
      Ed. McDonald has returned from Brainerd, and informs us that on May 1st he will take charge of the Lumberman's Exchange hotel at Brainerd, formerly run by John Bubar. Since selling his saloon here some weeks ago Mr. McDonald has been on the lookout for a location, and finally made a deal with Mr. Bubar on Tuesday. The hotel has always enjoyed a good business and Mr. McDonald will certainly conduct it to the satisfaction of his patrons. (Brainerd Dispatch, 26 April 1895, p. 4, c. 6)

                    Gave Him a Chair.

      John Bubar was agreeably surprised on Tuesday evening of this week by a party of friends at the Lumberman's Exchange Hotel, it being his last day as proprietor of the same. The committee, consisting of J. P. Saunders and D. F. McIntosh, presented Mr. Bubar with a very fine easy rocking chair as a token of remembrance, a testimonial accompanying it as follows:
      In recognition of your genial company, pleasant manners, good fellowship and past favors, please accept this slight token as a remembrance from your friends: J. P. Saunders, Dan McIntosh, Chas. Kinkele, James Dewar, John Carlson, Fred Ellison, C. F. McLean, A. L. Robbins, Wm. Copeland, F. Miller, F. Wilkins, J. Kelleher, F. Stropp, A. Rheinthal, E. J. Morrison, J. Buley, Pat Connors, Ed. Britton, A. Rosenberg, G. Sargent, Harry Marx, Ed. Chamberlain, D. Dolan. (Brainerd Dispatch,) 03 May 1895, p. 4, c. 6)

                  Again Has Charge.

      County Commissioner John Bubar, the veteran hotel man, on Monday again took charge of his hotel property, The Exchange, after a rest of three or four months, during which time the business was conducted by Jas. McDonald, of Little Falls, who did not seem to succeed very well. Mr. Bubar has for years conducted this popular hostelry in a highly successful manner, and no doubt will do equally as well in the future. (Brainerd Dispatch, 26 July 1895, p. 4, c. 6)

      The Exchange Hotel has been leased again by Mr. Bubar, the proprietor, to J. P. Taylor, who has been managing the business for Mr. Bubar for some time. Mr. Taylor is an experienced man at the business and will make a success of it. (Brainerd Dispatch, 06 September 1895, p. 4, c. 3)

      The Lumberman's Exchange hotel, formerly owned by John Bubar, was purchased this week by J. N. Nevers, R. J. Hartley and M. Hagberg. E. Chamberlain, who has been proprietor of the Stratton House for some time, has leased the property from the above gentlemen for a term of years, and is moving into it. (Brainerd Dispatch, 18 October 1895, p. 4, c. 5)

                  A PIONEER GONE.

         Death of John Bubar Occurs on
                   Wednesday Night.

        Had Been a Resident of Brainerd
                 for Over Thirty Years.

      John Bubar, one of the early pioneers of Brainerd, died at his home, corner Third and Front streets, about 11 o'clock Wednesday night last. Mr. Bubar had suffered from a stomach trouble for years, and several times had been near death's door. During the past two months he had failed rapidly, and had been confined to his home several weeks when the end came.
      Deceased was 54 years old last September. He was a native of Maine, and came west and located in Brainerd about thirty years ago. For some time he was employed in lumbering, and later engaged in the saloon business, which he abandoned about 1885 to go into the hotel business. The well known Antlers hotel [Formerly the Lumberman's Exchange Hotel.] was built by Mr. Bubar in 1888 and conducted by him for a number of years, until on account of failing health he was obliged to retire from active business. He then moved to his fine farm about nine miles north of the city, where he lived until within the past two or three years, when he gave up farming and has since been living in town. He leaves a widow but no children.
      "Johnny" Bubar was an honest, straightforward man, and a good citizen, and he was liked by everyone. He was one of the oldest members of the Brainerd fire department, and for many years was foreman of Hose Co. No. 1. While living on his farm he served one or two terms as a member of the board of county commissioners. He was also a member of Red Cloud Tribe of Red Men. Many of our oldest citizens will learn with regret of the death of genial "Johnny" Bubar.
      The funeral of Mr. Bubar will take place this afternoon at 2 o'clock, at which hour services will be held at St. Paul's Episcopal church by Rev. C. E. Farrar, the rector. (Brainerd Tribune, Saturday, 29 November 1902) [Obituary courtesy of the Crow Wing County Historical Society]

Sponsored by Ancestry


Planning a visit to Evergreen Cemetery?



  • Created by: A. Nelson
  • Added: 23 Apr 2012
  • Find A Grave Memorial 89009576
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for John “Johnny” Bubar (Sep 1848–28 Nov 1902), Find A Grave Memorial no. 89009576, citing Evergreen Cemetery, Brainerd, Crow Wing County, Minnesota, USA ; Maintained by A. Nelson (contributor 47143984) .