Charles “Lee” Redmond

Charles “Lee” Redmond

Death 13 Oct 1997 (aged 35)
Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada, USA
Burial Unknown
Plot Woodlawn Cemetery
Memorial ID 85753931 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Wonder's presence at the New Bethel Baptist Church in West Las Vegas was powerful, with some members of the congregation jumping to their feet and clapping their hands as Wonder sang, accompanied by a church organist, "I Won't Complain," ending it with, "God bless you, Lee." Then he sang "The Lord's Prayer" a capella.

"It was only through the love of Lee that I am here today, as a friend," Wonder told the congregation of about 150 people. "Our friendship was not based on who I was. It was based on being a friend."

Wonder then talked about the first time he met Redmond. "I knew instantly that this man would be someone special in my life," he said. "As much as I am hurt that he is not here in the physical, I am so glad that he is looking down on us, protecting us. He was my brother."

Cathy Scott, 2012
Cathy Scott
Wednesday, Oct. 15, 1997 | 10:06 a.m.

Charles Lee Redmond obtained a restraining order four months ago against a 21-year-old woman he said was stalking him.

It didn't help. She shot him to death Monday, then turned the gun on herself, police said.

Although Redmond filed a report with Metro Police on June 9 complaining that Nicole Thornton, a 21-year-old dancer who also worked for an escort service, had slashed his tires, broken his car windows and stalking Redmond and his family for months, she wasn't arrested.

According to Metro's records, the report filed by Redmond against Thornton was listed as a threat against a person and tampering with a vehicle.

Also in June, Thornton obtained a restraining order through the courts, said his sister, Jamie Pomerleau.

A detective with Metro's domestic violence unit said the unit typically handles stalking cases. Previously, such cases were handled by general assignment detectives. The Redmond case was not referred to the domestic violence unit.

"Technically, it should have come here, but another unit, general investigations, handled it," said a detective who asked that his name not be used.

The detective didn't know why the case wasn't referred to the domestic violence unit or why Thornton wasn't arrested, or even questioned.

That's no comfort to Redmond's family, which has lived in Las Vegas for 17 years.

Redmond had a fling with Thornton, but wasn't in a relationship with her, Pomerleau said. She said he possibly met Thornton while waiting for a fare at the Girls of Glitter Gulch nightclub downtown, where police said Thornton's work card showed she worked since 1996.

Redmond had received a threatening letter, the second one, about a week ago and his family believes he went to Thornton's apartment after he got off work about 12:30 a.m. Monday to tell her to leave him alone.

But homicide Sgt. Bill Keeton said, "Given the circumstances, it doesn't make sense that he went to (Thornton's) apartment. We'll never know why he went over there."

Pomerleau, however, said her brother simply wanted the woman to stop harassing him at work and at his home.

"He tried to go through the right channels and no one did anything," Pomerleau said. "Then he tried to handle it himself.

"He made the mistake getting involved with this girl, but he made up with his wife, and this woman wouldn't leave him alone."

Patricia Stocker, the woman who cradled Redmond during his last moments of life, said he kept telling her, "I'm shot, I'm shot."

She wants his family to know that he wasn't alone when he died.

"He talked to me," Stocker said. "He told me his name was Lee."

She made him comfortable by loosening his tie, untucking his shirt and unbuttoning his double-breasted suit jacket. He was still dressed for his limousine job.

"He raised up and I put my legs under him," Stocker said. "He put his arm across me and held on. He clenched his jaw. I said, 'No, you've got to open your mouth and let air in.' I said, 'It's OK,' and he relaxed. He let out his last breath of air and it was over."

Stocker and her roommate saw Redmond at the gate to their apartment complex, on West Reno Avenue near Tropicana Avenue and Decatur Boulevard, the same complex where Thornton lived.

Keeton said police believe Redmond was leaving Thornton's second-floor apartment and walking down the stairs when Thornton shot him once in the back.

His car was parked in the lot, police said. He had made it to his car because there was blood on the door handle, Keeton said. After he got off work, he drove the MGM Grand hotel-casino's limousine to Industrial Road, where it is stored, and picked up his car, then drove to Thornton's apartment.

Police believe Redmond had crawled to the gate seeking help.

Victor Rizzi, Stocker's roommate, called 911 while Stocker comforted Redmond. About three minutes before paramedics arrived, Redmond died.

Clenched in his hand was a key ring with a picture of his 2-year-old daughter, she said.

Hours later, police found Thornton's body in her apartment. She died from a self-inflicted head wound, police said.

Because of violent cases like the Redmond case, Metro opened its domestic violence unit last year, training officers to treat the cases "like the serious crime that it is," according to a news release issued when the unit opened.

But Pomerleau said while the unit may help other victims, "it didn't help my brother."
Cathy Scott
Tuesday, Oct. 21, 1997 | 9:43 a.m.

Stevie Wonder sang Monday at a funeral for Charles Lee Redmond, a Las Vegas limo driver who was shot to death earlier this month.

Last week, Wonder called the MGM Grand hotel-casino, where Redmond worked, requesting Redmond as his driver while in Las Vegas. Wonder was told that the man who had driven him around Las Vegas the past two years was killed Oct. 13, allegedly by a dancer who had been stalking him.

The dancer, 21-year-old Nicole Thornton, committed suicide afterward.

"He called Renee (Redmond's wife) and told her he wanted to sing at Lee's funeral," said Redmond's sister, Jami Pomerleau.

Wonder was one of about 150 people who attended the service for the 35-year-old Redmond.

Wonder's presence was powerful, with some members of the congregation at the New Bethel Baptist Church on D Street near Washington Avenue jumping to their feet and clapping as Wonder sang "I Won't Complain."

Accompanied by a church organist, he sang, "I've had some hills to climb ... but God knows what's best for me," ending with "God bless you, Lee."

"It was only through the love of Lee that I am here today," Wonder told the congregation. "It is only through Lee's love that I am here as a friend. Our friendship was not based on who I was. It was based on being a friend."

Wonder said he remembered the first day he met Redmond.

"I knew instantly that this man would be someone special in my life. As much as I'm hurt that he is not here in the physical, I am so glad that he is looking down on us, protecting us."

Before the service, Wonder said of Redmond to a family friend, "I have a new brother."

The Rev. Jesee Leo Wesley, addressing the congregation, said, "Things happen that we don't understand."

Redmond's father, Ralph Redmond, said while "Lee was not perfect -- none of us are -- he loved life." He said his son was a person with the ability to dream "and put those dreams into reality."

Redmond's pallbearers, one by one, described Redmond as their best friend, with one saying, "You don't get a lot of best friends in your life."

Pomerleau thanked Patricia Stocker, who also attended the service, for helping her brother. Stocker, with her roommate, found Redmond inside the gate to their apartment complex shortly after he was shot. He died in her arms.

"I've thanked her personally, but I want to thank her publicly for giving my brother comfort during the last moments of his life," Pomerleau told mourners.
He was remembered as a soft spoken and humble champion towering 6'4" and weighing in at 191 lbs. Las Vegas based kickboxer Lee "Hollywood" Redmond was the first ever IKF Cruiserweight champion. Redmond (Charles Lee Redmond) defeated Jason King of Albq. New Mexico, USA by TKO at 1:39 of round one on March 27th, 1993 at Kezar Pavilion in San Francisco, CA USA to capture the first ever IKF International Rules Cruiserweight title. Three months later on June 19th, 1993 at Placer High School in Auburn CA, USA, Redmond was offered a shot at the IKF Full Contact Rules Heavyweight title but lost by TKO at 1:54 of the second round to up and coming IKF star Greg Kirkpatrick of Fair Oaks/Grass Valley, CA, USA.

Redmond later turned pro, retiring his IKF International Rules title and continued his fighting career fighting out of Las Vegas under the guidance of Gwen Wydermyre. Redmond was scheduled to fight in the spring of 1998 for the Intercontinental Super Heavyweight Pro title against Matt Skelton of the UK. The bout was scheduled to be in West Virginia in late April 1998. However, Redmonds pro career was not to be.

Redmond was the victim of a jealous stalker who became attracted to him through an acquaintance. Even though the girl knew he was a married man, she continued to call him at work, show up at his work and other public places until he had a restraining order filed on her. This didn't change anything since she still wanted his companionship. Although nothing ever occurred physically between the two, she went as far as making threats to him that she would harm him if he didn't leave his wife. Redmond had been married to wife Renee for 3 years and together, they had a daughter, Lexus. Late Sunday night, the girl caught up to Redmond while he was alone and shot him in the back. She then went back to her apartment and committed suicide. IKF Champion, Charles Lee Redmond was pronounced dead early Monday morning, October 13th at 5:20 AM, by the Las Vegas coroners office. Why such a senseless killing took place, we here at the IKF do not know. Additional details of the homicide were not made available by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police at press time. However we do know this. Kickboxing has lost one of the great gentlemen of the sport. Redmond, like many IKF Champions was truly a champion in, as well as out of the ring. Our best wishes go out to those close to him and this written notice is in hopes he will never be forgotten by fellow kickboxers. The funeral for him will be on Monday, October 20th. Rest in Peace Lee...

Sponsored by Ancestry


See more Redmond memorials in:

Sponsor and Remove Ads


  • Created by: Ang
  • Added: 26 Feb 2012
  • Find a Grave Memorial 85753931
  • Find a Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Charles “Lee” Redmond (12 Jun 1962–13 Oct 1997), Find a Grave Memorial no. 85753931, ; Maintained by Ang (contributor 47411077) Unknown.