The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Stephen Michael “Steve” Benson

Stephen Michael “Steve” Benson

Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, USA
Death 22 Jan 2012 (aged 47)
Haymarket, Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Burial Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia, USA
Memorial ID 84154883 · View Source
Suggest Edits


Stephen Michael Benson passed away at Heathcote Health Center in Haymarket, Va. He was the son of John Benson and the late June Benson.

He had been a resident of Prince William County for the past 25 years. Steve served during his 23 year career as a VA State Trooper in both Prince William and Loudoun Counties. He was an active member of Triumph Baptist Church where he taught Sunday school and created a successful ministry called "Friends 4 Life." Steve also served as a missionary on numerous trips throughout Latin America. Steve's Faith and Love for Jesus Christ enabled him to live his life with exceptional honor and integrity. He was a blessing to every life he touched.

Survivors include his wife, son, daughter, father, three brothers, two step-daughters, and two granddaughters.

Published in News & Messenger, Prince William Co, VA, on January 25, 2012


* Added by Daddys Girl

Tribute & Message From The Family (EDITED)

Haymarket- Stephen Michael Benson, age 47, of 5602 Wheelwright Way, Haymarket, VA 20169, passed away on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at Heathcote Health Center in Haymarket, VA

Born on December 1, 1964 in Little Rock, AK, he was the son of John Benson and the late June Benson. He had been a resident of Prince William County for the past 25 years. Steve served during his 23 year career as a VA State Trooper in both Prince William and Loudon Counties. He was an active member of Triumph Baptist Church where he taught Sunday School and created a successful ministry called "Friends For Life." Steve also served as a missionary on numerous trips throughout Latin America.

Steve's Faith and Love for Jesus Christ enabled him to live his life with exceptional honor and integrity. He was a blessing to every life he touched. Survivors include his wife Barbara Benson; son Derek Benson; daughter Stephanie Benson; father John Benson; three brothers Dave, Jim, and Danny Benson; stepdaughters Melissa Kasun and Mary Jane Blizzard, and granddaughters Victoria and Erica Kasun. The Benson family will receive friends on Thursday, January 26th from 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. at the Pierce Funeral Home located at 9609 Center St., Manassas, VA 20110.

Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m., Friday, January 27th at Grace Life Community Church located at 9560 Linton Hall Rd., Bristow, VA 20136. Burial will follow at Bright View Cemetery, Old Auburn Rd., Warrenton, VA 20187.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be to the VA State Police Association:



*Sid and I would like to send our deepest sympathies to Steve's family. We are so sorry for your loss, and we are praying that God will continue to comfort you.

Posted by:

Sid & Liz Budd - Rixeyville, VA
January 28, 2012


You will be sorely missed but I know you are now with Jesus. This world is not our home. We are only passing through. Our lives are temporary and eternity is forever. Our human side will mourn that you, our brother, are no longer here to encourage us when we are hurting, cracking us up with your silly costumes and skits in Friends 4 Life, edifying us with that voice God blessed you with, leading our Sunday School class, visiting the elderly and sick, praying for us and not grudgingly, and never being "too busy" to be there for us. You will be sorely missed and are irreplaceable. Our souls, on the other hand, are rejoicing that God called you home, and that with as short as life is, we too shall be called home soon. We are separated at the moment, but soon, those of us who are saved will finally be home too.

I have one thing left to say Steve Benson. I know God is not going to let that voice go to waste, so sing out LOUD so we can find you once we reach heaven!

Thank you Lord God-Jesus-Holy Spirit for blessing all of us, including myself, with knowing Steve. I now ask Lord that if there is any one who knew Steve that is not saved, I pray that they too would be saved before it is too late. Thank you Lord. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Posted by:

Amy Wyatt
Falls Church, Virginia
January 24, 2012


*We are so sorry about Steve. We have very fond memories of him. He had such a heart for people especially the older ones and his ministry with the Young At Heart was such a blessing. He will really be missed and I am sure all will miss his singing ministry as well.

Posted by:

G.D. & Nancy Russell
Raleigh, NC
January 24, 2012


*The passing of Steve is truly tragic. He was genuine. I greatly enjoyed speaking with him, and he seemed to truly cherish those around him. With my deepest condolences, may God hold Barbara and his children close, during this extremely difficult time.

Posted by:

Jeff Pringle
January 26, 2012


*Dear Barbara,
Nancy and I are so very sorry for your loss. I only met Steven one time and he seemed like a wonderful person. We will keep you in our prayers.

Love to you and family

Arnold & Nancy

Posted by:

Arnold & Nancy Crewey
Bluefield, Va
January 26, 2012


*To the Family:
I wanted to send my deepest and sincere condolences during this unfortunate time in your lives, but I also wanted to share with your family a comforting promise that God gives in His Word the Bible about the hope of us seeing our dead loved ones again, it's found at John 5:28-29:

"Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice,

And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation."

Your family will be in my prayers, my sincere condolences.

Posted by:

Deloris Allen
Severn, Maryland
January 25, 2012


*Derek and Family,
I'm very sorry for your loss. My family's thoughts and prayers are with you.

Derek, Harold McGann is out of town this week. However, he has asked me to pass along his personal condolences to you and your family.

Posted by:

Stuart Conrad
South Riding, VA
January 25, 2012


*Steve shared in SS Sunday morning how much he often longed for heaven. How amazing that two hours later, God took him home. My heart goes out to you, Barbara, Derek, and Stephanie. Your husband and father was loved by many. His passion for life, and his humor will be terribly missed, but his love for the Lord will live far beyond his years. We're praying for you during this time of tragedy, that God will give you the grace you need to get through the days ahead.

Posted by:
Tami Nantz
Gainesville, VA
January 25, 2012


*I met Steve at my father's funeral. A beautiful voice indeed. I was so impressed with how the quartet sang that day. I told my mother, Madie Shomate, of Steve's passing and she is very saddened. She so enjoyed his singing and he stayed in touch with her after she moved away from the area. The Shomate family sends our heart felt condolences to Steve's family and friends.

Posted by:
Nettie Shomate Stevens
Manassas, VA
January 26, 2012


*Dear Benson Family:
I read about the loss of Mr. Benson in the obituary today and I wanted to extend my sympathy. As humans we want to live, and we want to enjoy life with those we love, it is only natural that we yearn to see our dead loved ones again, so it's comforting to know that the Bible teaches that most people who have died will be resurrected. The Bible promises this in John 5:28-29:

"Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice,

And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation."

Your family will be in my prayers, my sincere condolences.

Posted by:
Christine Jackson
January 27, 2012


*Dear Benson Family,
What a glorious addition to heaven!! I sorrow with you at this sad time, but I rejoice with you that Steve is with our lovely Lord Jesus Christ.

Posted by:
Emily Sue Fleming
Manassas, VA
January 27, 2012


*I am so sorry for your loss........Steve was married at one time to my sister Teresa which I hadn't seen neither of them in over 20 years!!!

Posted by:
Bonnie Weaver
Naples, FL
January 25, 2012


*Our heartfelt condolences go out to the family.

Posted by:
Bill and Kim Wiser
Warrenton, Va
January 27, 2012


*Dear Stephanie,
You and your family have been in my thoughts & prayers all week. My condolences to you all.



Posted by:
Cindy Graham
Winchester, VA
January 26, 2012


*Steve you will truly be missed, you were one of a kind.

Posted by:
Calvin Neal
United States of America
January 29, 2012



"'The loved and lost!' Why do we call them lost?--
Because we miss them from our onward road?
God's unseen angel o'er our pathway crossed,
Looked on us all, and loving them the most,
Straightway relieved them from life's weary load."

"They are not lost; they are within the door
That shuts out loss, and every hurtful thing,
With angels bright, and loved ones gone before,
In their Redeemer's presence evermore,
And God Himself their Lord, and Judge and King."

"And this we call a 'loss'! Oh selfish sorrow
Of selfish hearts! O we of little faith!
Let us look round, some argument to borrow
Why we in patience should await the morrow
That surely must succeed this night of death."

"Aye, look upon this dreary desert path,
The thorns and thistles whereso'er we turn;
What trials and what tears, what wrongs and wrath,
What struggles and what strife the journey hath!
They have escaped from these; and lo! we mourn."

"A poor wayfarer, leading by the hand
A little child, had halted by the well
To wash from off her feet the clinging sand,
And tell the tired boy of that bright land
Where, this long journey past, they longed to dwell."

"When lo! the Lord, who many mansions had,
Drew near and looked upon the suffering twain,
Then pitying spake, 'Give me the little lad;
In strength renewed, and glorious beauty clad,
I'll bring him with Me when I come again.'"

"Did she make answer selfishly and wrong,--
'Nay, but the woes I feel he too must share'?
No! rather, bursting into grateful song,
She went her way rejoicing, and made strong
To struggle on, since he was freed from care."

"We will do likewise; death hath made no breach
In love and sympathy, in hope and trust;
No outward sign or sound our ears can reach,
But there's an inward, spiritual speech,
That greets us still, though mortal tongues be dust.'

"It bids us do the work that they laid down,--
Take up the song where they broke off the strain;
So journeying till we reach the heavenly town,
Where are laid up our treasures and our crown,
And our lost loved ones will be found again."


Posted by:
Amy Wyatt
Northern Virginia, Virginia
Friend and sister in Christ
May 17, 2013



The following is Steve's Testimony:

A Story of Intervention

By Steve Benson

*****I would like to share a story of God's awesome intervention in my life. It was the spring of 2000 and my family and I were working on the completion of our new home. We had decided to build the whole thing ourselves and everything was going very well, that is until around the middle of April. I began to feel exhausted all the time, my body began to ache all the time, I would get fevers for no apparent reason, and my legs and feet would either swell or become bruised for seemingly no reason. I began a series of tests at my family doctor's office that spanned more than a month. Every test came back negative and they really couldn't tell what the problem was. My counts, however, continued to drop every week and on June 7th my doctor called me at home and said that she wanted to admit me to the hospital. She said my counts were dangerously low and that I needed a transfusion. She said I was susceptible to catch anything I was exposed to as my immune system was critically low. Also, if I were to cut myself I could possibly bleed to death because of a low platelet count; and because my red blood count had gotten so low, oxygen couldn't effectively get throughout my body, explaining the complete exhaustion all the time. Of course being the hard-headed, tough guy I thought I was, I decided that there was no hurry to get to the hospital. I decided to go out to dinner with my family first. After we ate, I casually told them that I had to go to the hospital for a couple of days to get my blood right again. So, arriving at the hospital several hours later and after being chastised for waiting so long, they began the blood transfusion. This made me feel better, but still the pondering question...what was causing all this?

The next day they called in an Oncologist who wanted to do a bone marrow biopsy. That she did and the pain was indescribable! The next couple of days all I could do was lay around the hospital and fret and wonder about what was happening to me.

June 10th (3 days later) was probably the most memorable and fearful day that my family (children, then 13 and 10), or myself would ever experience. I, the one who had hardly ever had more than a head cold, was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia or AML. My Oncologist explained that this was the fastest spreading type of leukemia and if left untreated would lead to death in a few short weeks. She also explained that it may not respond to the treatments, but we needed to try, and right away. The hardest thing at the time was to try and explain what was happening to my children. Fortunately we had just completed our house a week prior to the hospital stay and I didn't have to worry about that at least. However, we had to close on the loan in my hospital room about ten days later. That doesn't happen too often!

I need to back up a couple of years now. We had been through a couple of ugly church experiences and I had become bitter and indifferent toward the things of God. I was a Christian and knew that I needed to serve the Lord, but just kept putting my own agenda first. I was doing well in my construction business, which I did in conjunction with my police job, and thought I could continue in my own strength. I kept putting God off with the thought that I would eventually serve Him when things slowed down some. As you can imagine, I was miserable inside not serving the Lord. I don't want to say my sudden health condition was a punishment from God, but I will say that He will sometimes use a situation like this to get our attention. It worked!

My chemotherapy started the following Monday the 12th. I would be on a continuous IV drip 24 hours a day for seven days. Because of my immune system deficiency, I was quarantined to cut down the possibility of being infected. Literally hundreds of people began praying for me, including missionaries around the world, and I believed everything was going to be all right. During the seven-day treatment everything went well. I thought, 'this is a piece of cake'. I was having none of the side effects they had warned about. Then, a week later I hit rock bottom. It was like someone flipped a switch. I had a high fever (105-106 degrees) for the next few days that wouldn't come down. This was caused by several infections; one in each lung and one in the lower heart valve. I was placed in intensive care for four days and don't remember any of it because of delirium. My family, my doctor, and the nursing staff believed at that point that I wasn't going to pull through. They had begun several very strong antibiotics and eventually my fever came down. Once I got past the fevers and my delirium subsided, I knew more than ever how dependent I was on God. By now I didn't think I would ever get out of the hospital and was becoming very depressed. There seemed to be one setback after the other. After being flat on my back for so many weeks and not being able to eat, I had lost 40 pounds. Most of the weight I lost was muscle as I wasn't fat to begin with. Once I was able to start eating again, I had to learn to walk again. This was mainly because I was so weak and my leg muscles had quit working as they should. It was a struggle to walk from my bed to the bathroom. After forcing myself to eat and walk every day I began to slowly get my strength back.

For more than a week I felt that God wanted me to pray and give myself completely back to Him. I felt the desire to go outside away from all the commotion of the hospital and pour my heart out to Him, but I was too weak to walk that far. After an agonizing several days, I finally got the strength to walk out to the quiet picnic area and pray. After telling God that I knew why He had changed my path and asking forgiveness for my indifference, I promised God that as long as He gave me breath that I would do my best to serve Him. I felt as though a large weight was lifted from me. I no longer was worried about the outcome of all this. I knew that how ever all this turned out that God would be glorified. I believe it was the next day, or shortly thereafter, that they said the leukemia was in remission. I had never heard sweeter sounding words!

On July the 15th, 38 days later, I was finally released from the hospital. I would be on the antibiotics almost around the clock for the next four weeks. We were able to do this through in-home health care, but we had to learn how to use the IV pump and other equipment. Once I got home, however, my appetite returned and I began to get more strength back... just in time for two more chemotherapy treatments! My Oncologist was pretty sure that I would be back in the hospital when I did these treatments, but by the grace of God I was able to do all the remaining treatments from home!

I am eternally grateful to family, friends and loved ones who stood by me and supported me through all this. Without that support I'm not sure I would have made it. Even though things were very difficult, scary, and a lot of times painful during this time, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything; I learned just how real and powerful God is. After I made things right with Him, it was amazing how quickly He brought me back to full strength. Less than eight months after I was diagnosed, I was back to full duty with the State Police. Now, Praise God, it has been almost eight years that I have enjoyed good health and believe I have been healed completely! I hope my story will be an encouragement to whoever reads it and that they will know that God is in full control no matter what the situation is; serve Him and you won't regret it!


NOTE: The following is a Washington Post article of Virginia State Trooper Steve Benson being interviewed.

The Crime Scene

To Serve and Inform

Man Charged With Stealing From Patients
By: Jennifer Buske of the Washington Post
Posted: @ 04:35 PM ET, 03/25/2011

A Woodbridge man who provides hospice services in Northern Virginia was arrested Wednesday for allegedly stealing credit cards and checks from his dying patients, Virginia State Police said.

Eddie Moussa, 29, has been linked to at least two cases - one in Haymarket and one in Fairfax County - in which families reported credit cards and checks missing after his stay in their home, Virginia State Trooper Steve Benson said. More than $10,000 worth of charges were racked up on the stolen cards and checks, Benson said.

Moussa was charged with several counts of credit card theft and conspiracy to commit a felony, Benson said. Police have also charged Nathan Silla, 37, of Glenn Dale in the case. Benson said he allegedly used one of the stolen cards. Silla was recently charged with four other Washington area residents for allegedly creating counterfeit checks and altering stolen checks.

Moussa is being held in the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center on a $20,000 bond, Benson said.

Benson said his investigations into the Haymarket case began in January after a family noticed fraud charges on a deceased family member's credit card. When they checked his wallet, the card was missing. Moussa had visited the Haymarket home Nov. 15 to care for the cancer patient. He allegedly passed the card to Silla, who used it to purchase car insurance.

Benson, who did not release the name of Moussa's employer, said a similar incident occurred in Fairfax, and they are investigating a possible third case in Alexandria. Fairfax County Police could not be reached for comment.

Benson said that there may be more victims, and added that people should be careful about what they leave out when people they don't know enter their homes.

"People should be mindful that while hospice and various other home health organizations are great programs and are not involved in any criminal activity, they also have the possibility of having people with a less-than-stellar agenda working for them, as can any organization," Benson said.




The following is a Fairfax Times entry about Virginia State Trooper Steve Benson arresting a man.

Police and Fire Briefs
Tuesday June 19, 2007

Forged Check

A Harpers Ferry, W. Va., man was arrested June 14 for passing a forged check, Virginia State Police officer Steve Benson said. Benson arrested Timothy Brosius for passing a $2,900 forged check at Hill Tom Market in Hillsboro. will be arraigned June 20 at 11:15 a.m.







  • Maintained by: Anonymous
  • Originally Created by: Daddys♥Girl
  • Added: 29 Jan 2012
  • Find A Grave Memorial 84154883
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Stephen Michael “Steve” Benson (1 Dec 1964–22 Jan 2012), Find A Grave Memorial no. 84154883, citing Bright View Cemetery, Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia, USA ; Maintained by Anonymous (contributor 48127522) .