Joseph Dixon Denmark was born 1817 in Duplin County to John Denmark and Mary "Polly" Hall.
On Jan 1, 1837 he married 21-year old Rebecca Lewis, daughter of Laban Lewis of Wayne County. Rebecca died June 23, 1837, just six months into the marriage, and a little over a month later, he married her 1st cousin, Frances "Fannie" Lewis, daughter of Urban Lewis & Susan Casey.
Joseph & Fannie would be parents to four (4) known children:
* Stephen Henry Denmark, CSA (1838-1896)
* Rebecca Janes Denmark (1839-1917)
* Joel Jackson Denmark, CSA (1841-1863)
* Bethany Eliza Denmark (1843-1926)
Fannie Lewis Denmark died Oct 10, 1843 and Joseph married her sister, Patience Lewis, on Dec 15, 1844. Patience & Joseph would become parents to eight (8) known children:
* John Lewis Denmark (1845-1847)
* James William Denmark (1847-1922)
* Fannie Marie Denmark (1848-1888)
* Willis Arthur Denmark (1850-1926)
* Mary "Mollie" Ann Denmark (1854-1938)
* Buckner "Buck"McDuffie Denmark (1859-1915)
* Robert Lee Denmark (1863-1899)
* Susan "Nancy" Demmark (1866-1933)
Three of Joseph's sons served with the Confederacy. Stephen Henry Denmark was a Corporal with NC 27th, Co. A. Joel Jackson Denmark served as 2nd Lt. with the same unit and was killed at Bristoe Station, VA in 1863. James William Denmark was Private in the Junior Reserves, Regiment 2. He later married Juanita Polk, d/o Leonidas Lafayette Polk.
Joseph Dixon Denmark died Oct 18, 1894 and was survived by his 3rd wife, who died Nov 11, 1913.
Stephen Henry Denmark
Rebecca Jane Denmark Hardison
Joel Jackson Denmark
Bethany Eliza Denmark Price
James William Denmark
Fannie Maria Denmark Edwards
Willis Arthur Denmark
Mary Ann Denmark Stroud
Buckner McDuffie Denmark
Robert Edward Lee Denmark
Susan Denmark Williams