The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

Suggest Edits
 Daphne Ineta <I>Summer</I> Monts

Photo added by PC

Daphne Ineta Summer Monts

  • Birth 18 Nov 1932 Saluda County, South Carolina, USA
  • Death 22 Jan 2012 Lexington, Lexington County, South Carolina, USA
  • Burial Lexington, Lexington County, South Carolina, USA
  • Memorial ID 83879620

Mama always loved to let folks know that she was born in Leesville, Saluda County, SC

Her mama (Effie) was living in Chapin, SC, but came home to her mom Minnie Price (Leesville) for the delivery. The Summer family soon moved to a small home down the hill from Minnie Price.

Times were hard, the family worked hard. Mama often talked about her dad saying "You boys get on out to the fields." Mama was the eldest and the only girlchild, but was referred to as one of the boys when it came to certain things.
Mama graduated Hollywood High School; spent a bit of time at Columbia College. She worked at a "chickin-pickin" plant some during the summer months from school and later worked in Columbia while staying with kin.

She & Daddy were married in 1953 at St. Peter's Lutheran Church. Not long after she moved to Green Cove Springs, FL while Daddy served during the Korean War.

She became pregnant, a difficult & sick time for her. She gave premature birth to her first child and only son. While she did get to see and hold him, he passed two days later.

After Daddy got out of the Navy, they moved back to the Lexington area. It was 1961 when they moved into the house that she stayed in until the unfortunate time that she became ill and eventually entered into a nursing facility.

Mama loved to laugh and was a bit of a prankster. Should I say that if she got tickled enough, she would snort?
She loved her "bald-headed" brothers and they were mostly prone to her pranks. She didn't call before visiting, but if they weren't home, she'd stack stuff up in front of the door to let them know she'd been there. I remember one particular time when she was scooting around the yard gathering this & that, giggling the whole time. I only hope no one was in a hurry to get inside that day!

Her garden was lush and very productive. I remember one time she showed me her "secret" to keeping vegetables going. Squatting down beside a row with a grin on her face, she'd shell a dried bean and poke the seeds in the soil between the other plants.

Her cakes were masterpieces. Back when she was baking cakes for the church fundraisers, folks would call the house to purchase her cakes before they ever got transported. The "secret" was to use REAL butter which she drove a distance for and extra farm fresh eggs. That and an extra special dose of love.

She loved meeting folks, she loved life.

A pheasant that landed in the chicken yard (and shortly thereafter caught) started her hatchery business. She hatched many birds but turned down a request to hatch snakes.

Later Daddy bought a pea-sheller and another business was started. It was common to see her under the shed after dark pouring shelled peas in front of a box fan to scatter the shaft before her customers took home their ready-to-cook peas -- bushels at a time.
~♥~ ~ † ~ ~♥~ ~ † ~ ~♥~ ~ † ~ ~♥~ ~ † ~ ~♥~ ~ † ~ ~♥~
Mama & I met Pastor Justin Smith when she was admitted to the hospital Jan 16. He came in her room with a radiant smile and asked if he could pray for us. He placed his hand on her head and prayed from the heart. After he left, I said to Mama, "That was a great prayer." She turned to look at me and answered, "Yes it was and he meant every word of it, you could see it in his eyes." It was Pastor Smith that delivered words of comfort at Mama's simple but significant graveside service.

Those few hours/days at the hospital she was in a fine mood, perhaps it was that morphine had finally dulled the pain she had experienced for too long. She requested "Pepsi Cola" to drink and we had some laughs along the way.

Days later it was time for her to go. With sister and I watching her, she opened her eyes slowly, as if from a deep sleep and "tracked" someone (that we couldn't see) move to her right, even turning her tired little head-steady watching. Then her eyes closed and she was gone from this world.

Mama's earthly remains were laid to rest Thursday, Jan 26, 11AM with mostly family in attendance. Her casket was covered with red roses, baby's breath & greenery which was put in the vault with her.

i'll write more at another date ........

I'm ready to write the rest -I add this on May 22, 2016.

Mama became ill & was admitted to Lex Hosp .. later transferred to Lexington Extended Care for rehab ... then thankfully(?) a bed was available for her transfer into same nursing "home" ....
It was documented that she had dementia, yet a nurse's note states she was "racist" (I have copies/proof)-
I will swear on my own life that she was NEVER racist, NEVER!!! - besides, how can anyone claim someone with dementia is a racist ....
"DEMENTIA .. [dih-men-shuh, -shee-uh]
noun, Psychiatry. severe impairment or loss of intellectual capacity and personality integration, due to the loss of or damage to neurons in the brain." per

Her days prior to that last hospital admittance had to be intensely painful since she had GANGRENE IN THE BONE at her heel (again I have proof-PHOTOS AND an independent pathologist changed original death certificate issued by Lexington Extended Care).

We get to Stage Four(!) This is where Mama was at time of admittance to hospital from Lexington Extended Care.
"Stage IV
This is the most advanced and serious stage. Damage has now been done to the bone, muscle and the joints and tendons, which are the supporting structures. Large amounts of skin have been destroyed and these wounds are very difficult to cure. At this stage, they can cause lethal infections.

Sadly Mama's last attending staffers "chattered" that others on the same wing also had gangrene. My "feeling" was that they said this in my presence to protect themselves.
I WISH/PRAY(!) that some journalist will have courage enough to investigate/inquire how many amputations are performed by the hospital from those in care of this "home".

My heart will always hurt that I couldn't protect Mama as she would have protected me.
My prayer is that our Heavenly Father show those that need to be shown the error of their ways.
My hope is that no one else ever have to suffer indignity or pain again while in the "care" of this facility or another.
Heavenly Father I pray you blast the "darkness" with sunlight. Your sunlight is a most efficient disinfectant.
Amen and Amen.

Family Members


  • Created by: PC
  • Added: 23 Jan 2012
  • Find A Grave Memorial 83879620
  • PC
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Daphne Ineta Summer Monts (18 Nov 1932–22 Jan 2012), Find A Grave Memorial no. 83879620, citing Woodridge Memorial Park, Lexington, Lexington County, South Carolina, USA ; Maintained by PC (contributor 46773894) .