The Photo Request has been fulfilled.


Roda Annie Redding

Kansas, USA
Death 2 Dec 1918 (aged 42)
Lead, Lawrence County, South Dakota, USA
Burial Lead, Lawrence County, South Dakota, USA
Plot Section T, Lot 4, Grave 6
Memorial ID 82421279 · View Source
Suggest Edits

South Lead Cemetery records state that she was born in Kansas; late residence - Lead; age 40 years; died on December 2, 1918 of gunshot wounds; buried December 5, 1918; undertaker - J.J. Mead; nearest relative or friend - Chas. Hardin; husband killed himself on same day and was buried in the Deadwood Cemetery.

Lead Daily Call newspaper, December 2, 1918 - "Geo. Redding, Section Hand, Kills Wife and Commits Suicide. At 3 o'clock this afternoon, George Redding, a Northwestern section hand, killed his wife by firing a bullet into her head and then turned the gun on himself, adding suicide to the murder. This fatal termination of domestic trouble was not unexpected by the neighbors and Mrs. Redding herself feared that something of the kind might happen at any time. More than a month ago, she left Redding, because of his abuse, but as he has been constantly annoying her and she was getting ready to apply Judge Walsh to have her husband placed under bonds to keep the peace when the tragedy occurred. She had taken her baby to a neighbor's house intending to leave it there while calling on the judge with a woman friend, when Redding came to the place and a few minutes later the shooting occurred. Since their separation, she had tried to keep Redding out of the house, but Saturday he broke in and this induced her to apply for protection to the authorities.
Mrs. Redding had five chldren, four of them by a former husband; these ranged in ages from a young man of 21 living near Belle Fourche, to a son of 10 years. The baby of a few months, is by Redding. None of the children, nor anyone else was present when the killing took place. The Reddings formerly lived in Belle Fourche, coming from there last spring. Since their trouble about a month ago when the husband's abuse became more than the wife could stand, the wife moved to the house on Washington street, where she met her death.
Some time ago Redding secured the services of a woman from Denver, who had come here to act as housekeeper for another man. He had trouble with the woman and she was obliged to apply to the city authorities for protection. She was given a ticket back to Denver."

Lead Daily Call, December 3, 1918 - "Inquest This Afternoon. Jury Investigates Murder and Suicide in Lead Yesterday. At the Mead undertaking parlors this afternoon, Judge C.E. McHugh of Deadwood acting as coroner, is conducting an investigation of the circumstances attending the suicide yesterday of George Redding, which followed his murdering his wife. There were no witnesses to the double tragedy, but the position of the bodies and the facts connected with the previous trouble between the couple leaves no doubt concerning the perpetrator of the acts.
It is well known that Redding had a bad reputation and had a criminal record which runs back a number of years. A number of years ago he was convicted of an attempt to commit suicide and served eleven months in the penitentiary for that offense. He was suspected to have started a fire which destroyed the resort of Anna Woods on Bleeker street, where several persons lost their lives. Later he was convicted of having set fire to the dwelling house of Jack Murray in the Spearfish district and served four years in the pen. He was acquitted on charges of having set fire to a resort and to a flouring mill in Belle Fourche. He was in the employ of the Northwestern as a section man only a short time and of late had worked, from time to time, for the Homestake company.
The coroner's jury listening to the evidence in the case this afternoon is composed of John Fitzgerald, Clyde Davis and William Treweek. The witnesses subpoenaed are Mrs. Milt Arthur, a neighbor who knows of the trouble between Redding and his wife, William Mason, a 17 year old son of the dead woman, who also has knowledge of the trouble that preceded the tragedy, Police Officers O'Mear and Peretti, who were acquainted to some extent, with the Reddings' trouble and Deputy Sheriff Warren Owen, who had similar knowledge."

Lead Daily Call, December 4, 1918 - "Coroner's Jury Verdict. Redding Fired Two Shots into His Own Body. An inquest into the circumstances connected with the murder of Mrs. George Redding, by her husband, and the suicide of the latter, was conducted by Judge C.E. McHugh of Deadwood yesterday afternoon at the Mead undertaking establishment. The verdict of the jury composed of John Fitzgerald, Clyde Davis and William Treweek, was in accordance with the facts as stated at the time of the tragedy which occurred at 3 o'clock Monday afternoon, in Mrs. Redding's home on Washington street; it found that he had shot his wife inflicting a wound from which she died, and then turned the same gun on himself, dying instantly. Mrs. Redding lived a few minutes after her husband expired.
The bodies show that four shots were fired, evidently, the first one fired at Mrs. Redding, probably at a distance of ten feet or more, struck her in the thigh, but the second, the fatal shot, struck her under the left breast. Redding fired two shots into his own body, the first in the center of the chest, high up and the second 1 1/2 inches to the left.
The shooting was done with a 45 caliber six shooter, which Redding had bought the morning of the shooting, from Joe Seelig, paying him $7.50. A mark on the woman's face, indicated that Redding had struck her with the gun. Neighbors heard her scream, probably when the blow was struck, and then followed the four shots, two of them in rapid succession and then two more after a brief interval of perhaps ten seconds.
Neighbors of the couple feared that some such tragedy as occurred, was probable. They had been told by Mrs. Redding of Redding's efforts to have her take him back and of her refusal. They knew that he had forced his way into her home on more than one occasion, and her son testified at the inquest that Redding had kicked the door in the night before the killing. The boy intended to tell the police of the occurrence but desisted, when Redding threatened to kill him. There seems to be no doubt in the minds of those who knew Redding that he was mentally unbalanced and his past record showed that he was a dangerous man to be at large. It came to light in the course of the investigation that Mrs. Redding's daughter is married to a brother of Redding; they live in North Dakota. The daughter is expected to come here.
It developed in the course of the inquest that Mrs. Milt Arthur who was called as a witness and was expected to testify regarding the trouble between Redding and his wife, knew nothing of their affairs, except what she had heard as neighborhood talk."

lead Daily Call, December 6, 1918 - "The funeral of Mrs. Redding who was shot and killed by her husband at her home on Washington street Monday afternoon, took place this afternoon from the Mead parlors, Rev. Hupp officiating. Interment was made in South Lead cemetery. George Redding, the husband, who committed suicide, was buried by the county in Mt. Moriah cemetery yesterday."

SOUTH DAKOTA MARRIAGE RECORDS 1905 - 1949 show that George Redding, 41, and Annie Mason, 37 (widow), both of Belle Fourche, were married in Belle Fourche by Rev. L. Reynolds on November 11, 1914.

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE FILE #62042 (The record index notes that Roda A. Redding died in Lawrence County on December 2, 1918.)

Family Members

Gravesite Details Grave unmarked in 2011 although grave location is known and mapped





  • Maintained by: Margie Warren
  • Originally Created by: Don Toms
  • Added: 26 Dec 2011
  • Find A Grave Memorial 82421279
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Roda Annie Redding (Jan 1876–2 Dec 1918), Find A Grave Memorial no. 82421279, citing South Lead Cemetery, Lead, Lawrence County, South Dakota, USA ; Maintained by Margie Warren (contributor 47073496) .