Audrey Florene <I>Green</I> Person

Audrey Florene Green Person

Avondale, Maricopa County, Arizona, USA
Death 8 Feb 2006 (aged 75)
Prairie Grove, Washington County, Arkansas, USA
Burial Cremated, Ashes scattered, Specifically: Ashes over the Buffalo River, Arkansas and is probably in the Gulf of Mexico by now.
Memorial ID 80098813 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Audrey's Story Written by daughter Debora

My mother was born in Avondale, Arizona, but grew up in California. She went to high school in Vista, but dropped out because she didn't like showing her knees in the phys-ed class. She was taller that her classmates and hated the look of her "knobby" legs.

She met and married Gary Wayne Fisher about 1947 and they soon had a daughter Donna. Gary wanted to go to Mexico and they couldn't take the baby with them so she was left with an adoption agency in Phoenix. I don't think they ever made it to Mexico. Shortly after that, they returned to Vista and had 3 more children. Gary was drafted in the Army in 1951 for the War in Korea, but was discharged because he had too many children. After child #4 and mom pregnant again Gary did something bad and was sent to jail leaving mom with no source of income. I don't think she had ever worked before and sought help. She found a place in the "Valley" (San Fernando, California) up in the Chatsworth hills that would take her and the kids.

The Fountain years: This place was called "Fountain of the World" or just "The Fountain". The Fountain was a religious organization that was known to help the needy and assisted the agencies for emergencies such as floods and fire fighting, providing shelter, clothing and food. The Fountain of the World became famous in the press in the 1940s and 1950s for uniformly dressing in robes, going barefoot, and requiring ALL its male members to grow beards and wear their hair long (boys had pigtails just like the girls). The Fountain was marginally controversial because one of the requirements for membership was that one donate all wordly assets to the group prior to joining; for most who joined the Fountain, however, this was irrelevant since few had much in the way of possessions anyway.

The Fountain (you can find them on the web under Krishna Venta) had about 25 acres with multiple buildings. Most were communal. There were dorms for women and another for the men, a nursery for ALL the children, a dispensary, lecture hall and communal dining. Mom was assigned to the laundry and sewing room and had to sign up for daily soliciting (the group went out door-to-door for money, clothing and food, or what ever was given). I know she hated that part but it was required. See photo "Sister Audrey". While there, she divorced Gary, and shortly after that, she married Brother Asaiah aka Claud Bates while there and he took her to the Fountain's homestead in Alaska, leaving us kids behind. She had child #6 there and was then sent out to the farm site some 30 miles inland of Homer (called Venta) without the baby. During this time (1958), back at The Fountain in California, some disgruntled members bombed the place, killing 11 people. I was up in the nursery still, but my brother and older sister were in the main lodge but unhurt. The bombing killed the leader of this group (Krishna Venta aka Francis Herman Pencovic) because he was sending wives to Alaska without their husbands or children. Hence, me and the rest of us were shipped off to Alaska to join mom. We spent 2 ½ years there and conditions were harsh. We farmed, obtained coal from the mud flats and provided the town of Homer with produce. The deal in Alaska was to obtain squatters land grants after living there 7 years. The grant was then given to Asaiah. Mom got sick, or just tired of living in the cold, and asked her brother Aubrey Dale Green for help. He sent for her and us kids, but not her youngest child, who was left with Asaiah. After getting settled back in Vista, she was sued for divorce by Asaiah in Alaska. He had to pay for her air-fair and living accommodations too. He won his divorce, but not the custody of the child. So she returned to Vista with the youngest.

Back in Vista, 1961: Mom's brother Dale was an electrician and builder. We stayed in his old house in Vista, while Dale and his family lived next door. My dad, Gary Fisher suddenly showed up and they were remarried. After he attacked me, mom left Vista and went back to the Fountain for support. She divorced dad for the second time and married a retired vet named Frank Person who ran the auto shop down the lane. The Fountain took care of us until I left in 1966. Mom stayed on for a couple more years then left too. The youngest son was shipped back to Alaska and the other son was left behind with the cult. The oldest girl was married too by then and the youngest daughter went back to live with her dad Asaiah. After Frank died, mom moved in with the oldest daughter and her family to help raise her grandkids. She stayed with them until the grandkids were grown. Mom then took a job taking care of an elderly gentleman in Hemet, California, who was dying of cancer. She hooked up with long-time buddy Bitzi and they took a trip to Hawaii. She also went ballooning and rock climbing in 4x4s with son Ken. When the old man she was taking care of died, she moved back in with her oldest daughter who was living alone in Upland, California.

A flying leap into the unknown: In 1997 the youngest son Ken died in an auto accident and left mom money that she used to leave California. She chose to live in Arkansas because it was pretty. So, we all (mom, my older sister and me) picked up and moved with her. It's funny, really that her brother Dale had left Arizona to live in Arkansas living only 100 miles south of us at the same time, only we didn't know it then. She finally became a homeowner in 2005 with a house in Lincoln. She was Dx'd with pancreatic cancer a year later and was removed to a terminal care facility in Prairie Grove. She only lived another 4 months.
One of the best things about mom was that she loved to sew and was good at it.

Family Members



In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees

Sponsored by Ancestry


See more Person or Green memorials in:

Plant Memorial Trees Sponsor and Remove Ads


  • Created by: Sharon Lee Fisher-Martin
  • Added: 8 Nov 2011
  • Find a Grave Memorial 80098813
  • Find a Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Audrey Florene Green Person (14 Mar 1930–8 Feb 2006), Find a Grave Memorial no. 80098813, ; Maintained by Sharon Lee Fisher-Martin (contributor 47549882) Cremated, Ashes scattered, who reports a Ashes over the Buffalo River, Arkansas and is probably in the Gulf of Mexico by now..