SAMUEL LAIRD was the son of Revolutionary War patriot Captain DAVID LAIRD and his wife ANNE SCOTT LAMME, who lived in Augusta Co, VA on the Rockingham Co line.
Their children were James, David, SAMUEL and Jean/Jane wife of Robert Cochran. David Laird died testate Aug 1800 in Augusta Co, VA; and shortly afterward his widow moved to KY. Anne Laird died in Shelby Co, KY and her Will was probated 9 Apr 1821 in Harrison Co. [SOURCES: Virginia Valley records: genealogical and historical materials of Rockingham County, Virginia, and related regions Pg 310, and "The Laird Family of Augusta County, VA" by John A Maltby of Redwood City, CA]
SAMUEL LAIRD (historical records)
Marriage: 17 May 1806 Samuel Laird & SUSANNAH GILMORE Fayette Co, KY. [SOURCE: Ancestry.com and "Kentucky Pioneer and Court Records" by Mrs. Harry Kennett McAdams]
1810 US Census Cumberland Co, KY - Samuel & Susannah 26-44, 2 boys under 10, 1 girl under 10 [SOURCE: ancestry.com]
Nothing further is known about the three children.
1820 US Census Fayette Co, KY - Samuel Laird & Susannah 26-44, female 45 and over, slaves [SOURCE: ancestry.com]
1822 Susannah Gilmore Laird died (23 Nov 1782 - 5 Jan 1822).
Marriage: 11 Jan 1823 Samuel Laird & MRS CATHERINE LOGAN in Woodford Co, KY. [SOURCE: Ancestry.com]
1830 US Census Fayette Co, KY - Samuel Laird male 40-49, female 30-29, female 15-19, slaves [SOURCE: ancestry.com]
1840 US Census Fayette Co, KY - Samuel Laird male 50-59, male 20-29, female 40-49, slaves [SOURCE: ancestry.com]
Samuel & Catherine are not found in the 1850 US Census.
Will Abstract, probated 21 May 1856 in Fayette Co, KY.
- wife Catharine, $2,000 in addition to "settlement previously made".
- bequests to the descendants of his sister Jane Cochran, viz. son John and daughter Anny Kinchloe both living, and descendants of deceased daughter Patsy Yantis;
- bequests to descendents of his deceased brother James Laird, viz the living children David Laird, John Laird, Elizabeth Noel; and descendants of James's deceased children Anne Brown, Jane Christian, Peggy Kavanaugh, Nathaniel Laird; and also James's grandson Eliezer Laird (James, James, David);
- remarked on having given considerable amounts of money in the past to the relations of his first wife - he left them nothing, except for Nancy Mason and Martha Mason, daughters of William Mason and his wife Eliza McGuire;
- a bequest to old friend Jane Hawes, wife of Simeon Hawes.
- bequests to the Presbyterian Church, the Danville Theological Seminary, the Boards of Foreign Missions, Domestic Missions, Education, Publications, and the Church Extension Committee.
Executors, his friends, Dr. Robert J. Breckinridge, Dr. Richard J. Spurr, and Christopher M. Keiser.
[Summarized from "The Laird Family of Augusta County, VA" by John A Maltby of Redwood City, CA]
Samuel was an Elder of the Presbyterian Church.
BETHEL CHURCH Fayette Co: "about 7 and one half miles from Lexington off the Leestown Pike" The first Session book (1823) indicates that in the Fall of 1822 Rev. Robert Marshall drew up a list of "members in full communion" of "Bethel Congregation" including "Samuel Laird, Elder and wife since deceased" [Source: "Kentucky Pioneer and Court Records" by Mrs. Harry Kennett McAdams, pg 170] l
MT HOREB CHURCH, Ironworks Pike, Fayette Co: "Ruling Elder in Mt Horeb Church from the 28 Mar 1829 until his death" [engraved on his headstone]
[Samuel S/S Susannah on opposite side]
Born Nov'r 1, 1780
Died Sep't 8, 1858
A Ruling Elder in
Mt Horeb Church from
the 28 Mar 1829
until his death
Born Nov 23, 1782
Died Jan 5, 1822
Gravesite Details not my family