The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Alonzo J. “Lon” Barton

Alonzo J. “"Lon"” Barton

Poland, Chautauqua County, New York, USA
Death 14 Oct 1888 (aged 52)
Barron, Barron County, Wisconsin, USA
Burial Barron, Barron County, Wisconsin, USA
Memorial ID 7258588 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Alonzo was born Feb. 23, 1836, in New York, son of Joseph and Sarah Barton. His mother was born in New York and his father in Salisbury, Connecticut. He died Oct. 14, 1888, of asthma at Barron, aged 52 years, 7 months and 21 days, and was buried there in Wayside Cemetery. His gravestone is inscribed "At Rest Alonzo J. Barton Born Feb. 23, 1836 Died Oct. 14, 1888."

On July 4, 1866, Alonzo married Lucy J. Covell, in the town of South Valley, Cattaraugus County, New York. Lucy was born March 4, 1838, at Carrol, Chatauqua County, New York, daughter of John and Serina (Rice) Covell. She died June 3, 1921, at Abeerdeen, Grays Harbor County, Washington, and was buried there in the Sumner Cemetery in Sumner, Washington.

Alonzo and Lucy were the parents of six children of whom the first four were born in Houston County, Minnesota and the last two in Wisconsin. They were:

Bertrand E., b. 15 Mar 1868
Frank born in Oct. 1869, who died young
Willard L., b. 17 Nov 1871
Winnifred L., b. 17 Nov 1871
Mabel I., b. 13 Mar 1874
Blanche, b. 26 Aug 1877

The family moved from Minnesota to Barron Co, Wisconsin in 1872. The last of the Bartons left Barron by 1905.

Alonzo's father, Joseph Barton, served in the War of 1812. He was in the Battle of Fort Erie in September, 1814, and was close to General Davis when Davis was killed. Joseph Barton was part of the famous sortie that overwhelmed the British batteries, which immediately led to the defeat of the British. In the book, "Pictorial Field-book of The War of 1812," by Benson J. Lossing, 1869, the author wrote of the sortie, "The British advanced works were captured and destroyed, and Fort Erie was saved, with Buffalo and the public stores on that frontier, and possibly all Western New York." Joseph Barton is buried in the Yucatan Cemetery, Houston County, Minnesota.

Alonzo's great grandfather, Asher Merrills, fought in the Connecticut Line in the Revolutionary War.

Lucy's great grandfather, Joseph Brigham of Marlborough, Massachusetts, also fought in the Revolutionary War, having answered the Lexington Alarm in April, 1775, hence was one of those who fired the "shots that were heard around the world." He was later commissioned as a Lieutenant and fought in the Revolutionary War. [Additional information inserted on 19 July 2006 as provided by Jim Barton.]

In the 1880 U.S. Census, Alonzo J. Barton was listed as the 44 year old Sheriff of Barron County, Wisconsin, where he lived in Sumner Township, with his 42 year old wife Lucy J. and their five children: Bertrand E., age 12; Willard, age 8; Winnifred, age 8; Mable J. age 6; and 2 year old Blanche Barton.

In the 1890 U.S. Census, Special Schedule, Lucy Barton was listed as living in Sumner Township, Barron County, Wisconsin, and as the widow of Alonzo J. Barton, who had served as Sergeant Major in Company E of the 9th New York Cavalry, from October 1861, to November 1864, for total service of three years. His actual Federal service was 3 years, 1 month and 24 days.

Alonzo was a Civil War veteran who enlisted October 9, 1861, at South Valley, Otsego County, New York, to serve three years as a Private in the 9th New York Cavalry. On October 16, 1861, he was mustered in to Federal service with Company E at at Albany, Albany County, New York.

Alonzo advanced steadily through the ranks and on June 16, 1862, was promoted to Asst. Corporal; September 6, 1862, to Sergeant. On March 18, 1863, he was appointed orderly to General Slocum. On May 22, 1863, he was promoted to 1st Sergeant and on June 24, 1863, to Sergeant Major, the highest enlisted rank in the regiment, which rank he held throughout the rest of the war.

On October 11, 1863, Alonzo was captured at Brandy Station, Virginia, and wsa imprisoned at Castle Thunder, Richmond, Virginia. After 6 months and 27 days as a prisoner, he was exchanged and paroled May 8, 1864, at Aiken's Landing, Virgina, and reported the same day to Camp Parole, Maryland. On the muster roll of Sep./Oct, 1864, he was listed as sick in hospital at Annapolis, Maryland. On October 13, 1864, he was sent to his place of enrollment and on November 10, 1864, was mustered out of Federal service at Elmira, New York, and discharged by General Windor, due to the expiration of his enlistment. He served 3 years and 24 days of Federal service.

On November 27, 1874, Alonzo filed Application No. 197,687 for an Invalid Veteran's Pension which was approved under Certificate 179,675. On January 4, 1889, Lucy Barton filed Application No. 386,274, which was approved under Certificate 264,387.

References; 1880 U.S. Census, Sumner Township, Barron County, Wisconsin, June 1, 1880, ED 197, Sheet 1, Lines 31-37, Family 7/7. 1890 U.S. Census, Special Schedule, ED 18, Sumner Township, Barron County, Wisconsin, Page 1, Line 11, Family 73/73.


At the home of the bride's mother in Cameron, Wis., on Thursday, Dec. 24, 1891, Rev. F.M. Haight of Barron, officiating. Mr. Percy Hudson, of Rhinelander and Miss Winnie Barton, of Cameron.
The young people are both well known in this city where they have a host of friends. The groom is a telegraph operator on the Soo line and is a young man of good qualities. The bride is the daughter of the late A.J. Barton, and is one of the most popular young ladies of the county. Her union with Mr. Hudson is the cause for congratulations among their many friends. They start life in their new relation under very flattering circumstances, and that their cup of happiness may always be overflowing is the wish of the Shield. [Published Friday, December 25, 1891, Barron County Shield, Barron, Wisconsin. Married.]

* * * *

Former Barronite Dies

A clipping from the Tacoma Daily Ledger of June 5, tells of the death of Mrs. Lucy J. Barton, a former resident of Barron county for many years. Death occurred on Friday, June 3, at her home in Aberdeen, Wash., and interment was made in


At his residence in this city on Sunday, Oct., 14th, 1888, of Asthma, Alonzo J. Barton, aged 52 years, 7 months and 21 days.

Alonzo J. Barton was born in the town of Poland, Chautauqua county, New York, Feb. 23rd, 1836. His early life was spent upon the farm and in the woods, he receiving, however, a good common school education. Soon after the rebellion broke out, he joined the army, enlisting as a private in company E of the 9th New York Volunteer Cavalry. He served with his regiment in numerous engagements until the 11th day of Oct. 1863 when he was taken prisoner and suffered the horrors of Rebel prisons for seven months. During his confinement at Libby Prison he once made his escape, by the most daring venture. Having in some way secured a rebel's coat he walked out in broad daylight past the guards in safety. Pursuing his perilous journey toward the Union lines he had got thirty miles from Richmond when he was retaken; he was taken back to Richmond and placed in Castle Thunder, where, confined for 36 days in a cold, damp dark dungeon, receiving the inhumane treatment which, characterized those Southern dens, he contracted the disease asthma, which hourly since then afflicted him, and to which his rugged constitution finally succumbed. He was paroled in May, 1864. He afterwards re-enlisted with his regiment and was finally mustered out in November 1865. During his service he was, for bravery and valiant deeds successively promoted, finally to Sergeant Major of the regiment, which position he held when taken prisoner.

On the 4th day of July, 1866, he was married to Lucy J. Covell, who, together with their five children, survives to mourn his loss. One year later, in July 1867, they removed west - to Houston Co., Minn., where they made their home until 1872, when they removed to Eau Claire in this state and shortly thereafter to the town of Summer in Barron county, where Mr. Barton made a homestead claim. In the fall of 1875 he was elected Sheriff of the county, which office he filled with satisfaction to the people and great credit to himself. He was again elected to the same position in 1879 and performed its duties with the same degree of satisfaction and credit. In 1884 he was elected Register of Deeds, re-elected in 1886, and was the Republican nominee for the same office at the ensuing election. He was a most efficient officer in these and other minor places to which he was often elected.

At time a great sufferer from the terrible legacy left him by Southern rebels, his general health was yet very good, and he took great delight in out of doors sports. At base ball he was quite an adept, and in the gun club was an excellent shot. A short time before his last illness he took a trip to Appleton, Minn., paying his three brothers there a visit; and while there bought up a car load of work oxen which he shipped here for sale in the woods. It was in riding over the prairies in their purchase that he contracted a terrible cold, which, settling on his lungs brought on hemorrhage and attendant fever. Greatly against the wish of his brothers he returned home, his brother James accompanying him. On his arrival here, the Wednesday before his death, he took to his bed. His condition did not seem to get worse until very near the last; but the terrible affliction which held his lungs as in a vice, was more than nature and skill could conquer; and when the end came - not looked for or expected so soon by any - he passed away without a struggle, life being smothered as it were from his great frame.

The deceased was a member of the Barron Lodge of F.A.M., of the Martin Watson G.A.R. Post, of the John A. Logan Union Veterans Union and of the Knights of Pythias of Rice Lake. The funeral, which was one of the largest ever held in the county and attended by people from all parts of the county, was held Tuesday and was conducted by the Masonic Lodge of Barron assisted by the lodges of Cumberland and Rice Lake, and attended also by bodies of the several other societies named. Rev. Jas. McMannus of Neilsville, who had been telegraphed for, preached a beautiful sermon at the M.E. church, from the text, "If a man die, shall he live again?" The remains were escorted to our city cemetery by a long cortege, and there, with the beautiful and impressive ceremonies of the Masonic order were consigned again to the dust from whence they come.

"Lon" Barton as he was familiarly known by all, was one of God's noblemen. He loved truth, honesty and uprightness, and scorned a mean act from any source. He was one of the truest friends whom it was ever one's honor and pleasure thus to call. He filled a place in the hearts of all which will long be felt vacant; and to his family his loss is irreparable. To the writer who has known him intimately for years, he seemed as a brother; and we can now only say as we were, by the surroundings when gazing upon his dear familiar face for the last time, constrained from saying, "Good by, Lon, Good bye."

Card of Thanks

To the grand Army Post of Barron, the Masonic fraternity and all other friends who so kindly assisted in the hour of deep trouble, Mrs. Barton and family tender sincere thanks. [Published Friday, October 19, 1888, in the Barron County Shield, Barron, Wisconsin.]

Family Members



"At Rest Alonzo J. Barton Born Feb. 23, 1836, Died Oct. 14, 1888."

  • Maintained by: James C. Barton
  • Originally Created by: John Christeson
  • Added: 13 Mar 2003
  • Find A Grave Memorial 7258588
  • James C. Barton
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Alonzo J. “"Lon"” Barton (23 Feb 1836–14 Oct 1888), Find A Grave Memorial no. 7258588, citing Wayside Cemetery, Barron, Barron County, Wisconsin, USA ; Maintained by James C. Barton (contributor 46874889) .