Mary was the daughter of Jonathan Shrimpton and Mary Oliver of Boston, Mass. She was married in Boston on 19 May 1692 to Robert GIBBS, the son of Robert Gibbs and Elizabeth Sheaffe, also of Boston. Long after the death of her first husband, Mary married in Boston on 29 March 1722 Samuel SEWELL, a prominent Massachusetts judge who was involved in the Salem Witch Trials.
While Mary is buried here, her first husband is buried in the Kings Chapel Burying Ground in Boston with his grandparents Jacob Sheafe and Margaret (Webb) (Sheafe) Thacher, and Samuel Sewell is buried in the Granary Burial Ground in Boston. The children of Robert and Mary, b. Boston, Mass, surname GIBBS:
* Jacob, b. 6 May 1693, d. 14 Dec 1714, unmarried.
* Henry, b. 7 Nov 1694, d. Newton, Mass. 15 May 1761, m. Hannah [Wadsworth?], b. [1699?], d. 26 May 1783. Henry and Hannah are buried here in the East Parish Burying Ground.
* Robert, b. 29 Nov 1696, m. Amey (WHIPPLE) Crawford.
* Mary, b. 28 May 1699, d. 28 Sep 1761, m. Boston 19 Feb 1718/9 Rev. John COTTON, b. 15 July 1693, d. Boston or Newton 17 or 25 May 1757, the son of Rev. Roland Cotton and Elizabeth Saltonstall (Roland was a founder of Newton, Mass. and the minister there from 1714 to 1757). Mary and John had ten children, born 1719 to 1738. Mary and John are buried here in the East Parish Burying Ground.
* Samuel, b. 9 Dec 1701, apparently died young.
Here lyes buried
the Body of
Mrs. MARY SEWALL late
Consort of the Hon.ble
SAMUEL SEWALL ESQ.
who Departed this life
Ye 15th of JULY 1746 in the
79th Year of Her Age
Mary Oliver Williams
See more Sewall or Shrimpton Gibbs memorials in: