Capt Richard Agar

Capt Richard Agar

County Carlow, Ireland
Death 4 Jun 1885 (aged 61–62)
New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, USA
Burial New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, USA
Plot Army of Tennessee tomb - crypt 2
Memorial ID 70465913 View Source
Suggest Edits

June 5, 1885
New Orleans, LA


By His Own Hand

Driven Thereto By the Torture of Disease

A Brilliant Confederate Record

` Thursday morning, shortly before 5 o'clock Capt. Richard Agar, a highly esteemed gentleman and a gallant soldier in the civil war committed suicide in his room in the City Hotel.
` No cause can be assigned for this act of self-destruction except that of bad health. Capt. Agar had been low spirited for some time, and occasionally complained of insomnia and lack of appetite. He took a trip to Sour Lake, Texas, from which place he returned Sunday and was meditating a visit to Blount Springs, Ala. Wednesday evening he talked with several people about the hotel, where he had been residing for many years, but gave no hint that he meditated taking his life. In fact, he seemed in his ordinary condition of mind, and retire to his room between 10 and 11 o'clock.
` His intimate friend and comrade in arms, Mr. W. T. Mumford, one of the lessees of the hotel passed his room in going to his own apartment and spoke to Capt. Agar, who inquired concerning the Mexican Band concert. Mr. Mumford's companion, Mr. Eyle, stopped at the Captain's door and conversed with him for sometime. He chatted and joked as usual, and gave no sign of an intention to commit suicide.
` At a quarter to 5 o'clock yesterday morning Mr. Mumford, who is a very early riser, heard a pistol shot, the sound coming from Capt. Agar's room. He repaired immediately to that part of the hotel and discovered the deceased lying face downwards on the floor in his night clothes, with his arms under his body, and a pool of blood near his head. Deputy Coroner Jones was summoned, and an inquest held. The investigation revealed the fact that Capt. Agar had committed suicide by shooting himself with a derringer pistol. the ball entered the roof of his mouth and passed into the brain.
` Capt. Agar was a native of Carlow County, Ireland, where several brothers still reside. He was educated for the ministry, but entered the army instead, and was an officer in the Cork regiment. Coming to New Orleans on furlough in the year 1859-1860, he resigned his military commission and took up his residence in the city. He joined the 1st Louisiana at the outbreak of the war. When these troops were tendered to the Confederate States Government the deceased was a lieutenant, which rank held until the siege of Vicksburg, when he was promoted to a captaincy.
` Mr. Mumford who served with him almost continuously throughout the war, bears earnest testimony to his unflinching courage and splendid soldierly qualities. He was in Fort Jackson on the Mississippi during the attack by the Federal fleet, and was the bearer of the flag of truce from Gen. J. K. Duncan to Admiral Porter. Mention of this incident was made in the Century Magazine for May, in connection with a portrait of Capt. Agar.
` In the stirring scenes of the siege of Vicksburg Capt. Agar took a prominent and honorable part. He commanded at different times the formidable Confederate guns, the long rifle known as "Whistling Dick" and a Blakely gun called pleasantly "Graveyard Battery", pieces which did great damage to the enemy. Capt. Agar was constantly on duty, directing the artillery or serving in other capacities, and was never on the sick list.
` After the war he came back to New Orleans and lived a quiet life in the pursuit of mercantile undertakings. At the time of his death, and for years previously he was employed by the prominent house of Wm Agar & Co., formerly Agar & Delong and was a cousin of the senior partner. He was 62 years of age, and apparently of a vigorous constitution.
` Capt. Agar was a generous, open-hearted man, high-spirited and brave, and was respected by all who met him for his excellent qualities.
` The funeral took place yesterday evening under the direction of the Army of Tennessee, of which association the deceased was remembered.