The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Katherine Mildred <I>Reimann</I> Hadley

Katherine Mildred Reimann Hadley

Roy, Power County, Idaho, USA
Death 27 Jun 2002 (aged 83)
Ogden, Weber County, Utah, USA
Burial Emmett, Gem County, Idaho, USA
Plot LDS
Memorial ID 70217488 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Father: John "S" Reimann
Mother: Faye Margorie Sager

Spouse: Harold Samuel Hadley
Marriage: 20 Oct 1937 Salt LakeCity, Utah

Children: Norene Hadley, Lois Ann Hadley, Katheryn Hadley, John Steven Hadley, Ralph Reimann Hadley, Karelyn Hadley, Harold Stanley Hadley, Laura Hadley, Colleen Hadley

Katherine Mildred Reimann was born on October 14, 1918 in Roy, Idaho. Mildred was the first child born to John and Faye Reimann. She was very close to her father, and enjoyed working outside with him. She loved the horses, and there are many pictures of Mildred with them. She was very close to her "double-cousin," Raymon Sager. Raymon's mother, Mary was the woman who helped Faye with Mildred's birth; and Raymon was born just a few months after Mildred. Because Raymon's parents were brother and sister to Mildred's parents, the two families spent a lot of time together. Mildred was very sad when Raymon and his parents moved away when Raymon was only six years old, She told Raymon that " When you left, I went up into the loft of the barn so I could watch you drive down the road until I couldn't see you any more. Then I cried and cried." Mildred went to school in Roy. She was a good student, but school was only available for part of the year. Sometimes they couldn't get there because of the snow, and sometimes there was no teacher. However, Mildred had a quick mind and did very well. When her father died, Mildred's formal schooling came to an end. She completed the eighth grade. Life for the Reimann's was pretty good while John Reimann was alive. Of course, there were the normal struggles of making a living in the small community of Roy where the Reimann families had homesteaded in 1910; but John Reimann had a knack for making things easier. He invented many useful items for his family-like his delco battery system which gave them simple electricity; he built a system to deliver running water into the house; and he could figure out almost anything. He had one of the first cars in that part of the country. Mildred often said that they were "better off" than most of their neighbors and friends. But when John died, life took a terrible turn for Mildred, Not only did her schooling come to an end, but she had to hire out to help earn her own way. The farm failed and was sold shortly after Faye Reimann remarried, so there wasn't even a home for Mildred after that. Even before her father died, Mildred had hired out occasionally during harvest time to help with cooking for the harvest crews. But after John died, it became her livelihood. Once Faye married Orphis (Slim) Gentry, Mildred pretty much moved out. She went to work for her Aunt Pearl (Pauline Kieson). She didn't get paid very much, but what little money she did make, she used to buy her own clothes. When Mildred was 18, she met Harold Hadley. She had gone to a community dance in Rockland with a date, but he began behaving badly, so Mildred left to go home without him. While walking home, she was offered a ride by Carl and Alvin Hadley-two boys she knew from school. With the two Hadley boys was their older brother Harold. Harold made a gallant effort to win Mildred's hand, and eventually they were married on October 20, 1937- Mildred joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints before she was married-much to the dismay of her Sager relatives. But Faye replied, "Well, she's old enough to do what she wants." The newlyweds didn't have a home of their own at first. They shared the home of Harold's parents, John and Amy Hadley. After the first winter, they went to live in a little two room house on the dry farm-or as Mildred called it, "Two rooms and a path." Her first child, Norene, was born in 1939. Then four years later, she gave birth to twin boys, John Steven and Harold Stanley (named after their father, Harold, and grandfathers-both Johns). Within the next four years, 3 more children (Lois, Ralph and Laura) were born giving Mildred six children who were eight years of age or younger. Mildred had her hands full with diapers, farm and garden, and children. Shortly after the twins were born, John and Amy Hadley decided to make the move to a small farming community near Boise, Idaho. Harold and Mildred had no farm land of their own, so they followed Harold's parents to the small community of Emmett where Harold bought a small 16-acrefarm "on the bench," (or on the bluffs) above the Payette River which flowed through the valley. Within a few years, however, this small farm was too small, so Harold traded it for a 40-acre farm not too far away. While they lived in this home, three more daughters (Katheryn, Karelyn, and Colleen) were born bringing the number of children in the Hadley household to nine. The house was full, money was tight, but no one went without anything important. Mildred worked hard raising her children, sewing, cooking canning, cleaning, and gardening. Mildred was active in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints serving as President of the Primary (a children's organization), and a teacher in the Sunday School. When her twin boys were called to serve missions for the LDS Church, Mildred went to work as a clerk and bookkeeper in the Emmett Department Store. She worked in the orchards and packing house in the mornings, and in the department store in the afternoons. Her income paid for missions and college for most of her children. She did without many things for herself in order to give her children opportunities she never had. On the 2nd day of January, 1972, Mildred suffered a devastating stroke which crippled her left side. She was left with a paralyzed left arm and leg. Although she never recovered the use of her arm, eventually she was able to walk and continued to do many things. But Harold felt it was too much for her to try to continue doing all the things necessary for a farm wife, so he sold the farm and they moved to Caldwell, Idaho, about 30 miles away. While living in Caldwell, Mildred nurtured and planted her flower gardens, but Harold took over the chores of the vegetable garden. Mildred was called on a "mission" for the LDS church and did genealogy extraction work in the German language. Due to her German heritage, she was good at it; and many times Mildred could read or decipher German names or words when no one else could. Harold died on March 12, 1981 leaving Mildred alone in Caldwell, Norene lived the closest to Mildred, but her home in Kuna was nearly 20 miles away and it was hard for her to help as much as Mildred needed, so the neighbors pitched in to help Mildred with her yard and various errands-like running to the bank, doctors and pharmacies, church, etc. By 1986, however, Mildred felt like she was burden to her neighbors, and sold her home in Caldwell. She moved into a brand new double-wide mobile home in Farr West, Utah (near Ogden). She loved her little home, and commented that "it was the first home I didn't have to fix up." She lived here alone for several years continuing to do her own canning, cleaning, cooking, and some yard work. Unfortunately, she also continued to suffer small strokes-each one taking a little bit more of her independence. There were also a couple of more severe strokes, and after a time, Mildred needed more assistance than she could get from part-time help and helpful family members. A series of falls which resulted in broken hips and pelvis and other injuries ended her ability to live alone, and in 1991 she was forced to move first into a nursing home, then finally an assisted living center.

Family Members






  • Created by: R.I.P.
  • Added: 22 May 2011
  • Find A Grave Memorial 70217488
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Katherine Mildred Reimann Hadley (14 Oct 1918–27 Jun 2002), Find A Grave Memorial no. 70217488, citing Riverside Cemetery, Emmett, Gem County, Idaho, USA ; Maintained by R.I.P. (contributor 47339884) .