She was born in Lonedell, Franklin Co., MO, the daughter of Daniel and Abigail (Brown) Lewis.
She married 31 Mar 1839, Franklin Co., MO, to Jesse Short, son of Samuel & Lydia (Field) Short.
According to the family story, Rebecca's husband Jesse fled to Texas after shooting a man. She followed and they made their home in Collin Co., TX.
1860 Collin Co., TX, Pilot Grove PO, p. 78 Jessee Short, 46, SC Rebecca A., 40, AL Abigail, 9, TX Rebecca, 8, TX Missoura, 7, TX Lida, 4, TX Crisa C., 1, TX
1870 Collin Co., TX, Farmersville PO, p. 408 Jesse Short, 59, KY Rebecca, 50, AL Rebecca, 16, TX Lydia, 13, TX Candice?, 11, TX Jesse, 9, TX Edwin Sage, 27, farm hand, MO
Their children were:
1. Abigail J. Short, b.c. 1851, Collin Co., TX; m. Richard Mitchell (b. 1837 TN); d. after 1880.
Children at home on 1880 Collin Co., TX census:
i. Jesse E. Mitchell b. 1870 TX
ii. Sarah A. Mitchell b. 1872 TX
iii. Eben J. Mitchell b. 1875 TX
2. Rebecca Short, b.c. 1852, Collin Co., TX; m. Edwin Saye (b. 1842 MO); d. after 1880.
Children at home on 1880 Collins Co., TX census:
i. Cora Saye b. 1872 TX
ii. Perry Saye b. 1875 TX
iii. Jesse R. Saye b. 1877 TX
3. Missouri Short, b.c. 1853, m. William McCollum (b. 1842 KY); d. after 1880.
Children at home in Collins Co., TX in 1880 i. Jannie McCollum b. 1871 TX ii. William McCollum b. 1873 TX iii. Joseph McCollum b. 1874 TX iv. Stanley McCollum b. 1876 TX v. Jesse McCollum b. 1878 TX
4. Lydia Short, b.c. 1858, Collin Co., TX; m. William Wilson (b. 1852 SC); d. after 1880.
Children at home in Collins Co., TX in 1880 i. Myrtle Wilson b. 1879 TX
5. Crisa Short, b.c. 1859, Collin Co., TX; m. William Saye (b. 1856 MO); d. after 1880.
Children at home in Collins Co., TX in 1880 i. Donna Saye b. 1879
6. Jesse L. Short, b.c. 1861, Collins Co., TX; d. after 1880.
Living at home with parents in Collin Co., TX in 1880
bio information and parent connections thanks to findagrave contributor Bev Golden #47513910
The Edwin Sage on the 1870 census as farmhand is really Edwin R Saye (27), who would later marry Rebecca, who was 16 on this census. Edwin Saye was in 27th Texas Cavalry, and apparently after coming back from War by 1870 was working at the Short farm.
Also, my grandmother was Willie Pearl Hollis, daughter of John Franklin Hollis (d 1954). My gmother's mother-in-law was Exa Saye, daughter of this Edwin R Saye.
this paragraph thanks to Paul Riddle
Wife of Jesse Short