The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

Sgt Frederick A Huber

Sgt Frederick A Huber

Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania, USA
Death 31 May 1862 (aged 20)
Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Burial Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania, USA
Plot Section G , Lot 8, Grave 1
Memorial ID 6629956 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Frederick A. Huber, son of Henry and Priscilla Huber, was born in Gettysburg Pennsylvania on February 12th 1842 (Abraham Lincoln's 35th Birthday). Henry S. Huber was the Town Physician and He and his wife had just, a few years before purchased a New Home on the Southeast Corner of York and South Washington Street in Gettysburg. Frederick grew up in the small, Central Pennsylvania farm town, attending School in town. As an early teenager, it was his will to follow in the footsteps of his father and become a doctor. In 1860, Frederick left Gettysburg, for Philadelphia, to attend Medical School and embark on a fine career. That all ended in December of 1860, when the State of South Carolina seceded from the Union and fueled the Civil War. Frederick was both a Patriotic and moral individual, of the finest quality and was willing to put his career on hold to enlist in the 23rd Pennsylvania Volunteers, "Birney's Zouaves", a colorfully attired Zouave Regiment headed by Son of an avid abolitionist David Bell Birney. Frederick enlisted on August 2nd 1861, and quickly rose to the rank of First Sergeant. On September 7th, he left the City of Philadelphia for Washington D.C. by rail and arrived on September 8th in Washington D.C. for the defense of the capitol against possible rebel invasion. The Regiment was placed in Camp, three miles north of the Capitol (which was Still under Construction) on a farm owned by Jacob Queen which was named Camp Graham. It was situated on high ground, but subject to the elements and very muddy. During the winter of 1861, fifty one men of the 23rd Pennsylvania died of Typhoid fever and the camp was moved in February of 1862 to higher, better quality ground near Bladensburg, MD to an already established Camp Clark (It was at this camp earlier in the year 1861 that Sullivan Ballou wrote his famous "Dear Sarah" letter).
On March 13th 1862, the 23rd Pennsylvania and Frederick A. Huber were moved from their Camp in Bladensburg and marched to Alexandria Virginia where they boarded a steamer and were taken to the Virginia Peninsula. The largest Army Force ever amassed at the time was assembled by General George B. McClelland, and in April the Army was on the move, up the Peninsula toward Richmond. Frederick was engaged in the Battles of Yorktown and Williamsburg in April and May of 1862 and the 23rd Pennsylvania Volunteers were the first to plant the Colors in the enemy works, which were built by The British in The War for Independence. Finally, in May, the Army was ready to Strike and claim Richmond and put an early end to the War. This Resulted in the "Seven's Days Battles". On May 31st 1862 the 23rd Pennsylvania was engaged at the Battle of Fair Oaks (Seven Pines). The 23rd was ordered to support Miller's Battery of Napoleon guns, and for near four hours held the enemy in check, who advanced in overwhelming numbers to take the battery, which was undergoing fearful execution in their ranks. Fierce fighting went on for hours, and at one point Frederick and his Company was surrounded and needed a Desperate Bayonet Charge to not only free them, but protect the Brigade Line. Around 4 PM, Frederick received his first wound being shot in the arm, ten minutes later he was wounded again in the thigh and then at 5 PM the Fatal Blow was delivered, when while urging the Rally to the Colors, Sgt. Huber was shot in the Right Breast and died 30 minutes later. As he lay dying on the field, several men of the Regiment surrounded him and attempted to remove him to a nearby field hospital. Knowing the wound was mortal, and the unit was in danger of Capture, he begged the men to leave him die and save themselves. His friends refused to leave him. Just a few seconds before his passing, the Regimental Chaplain, James G. Shinn, prayed with him and then Frederick exclaimed, "Tell my father I have died for my country." He passed away that evening of May 31st 1862 at 5:03 p.m. The Surgeon of the Regiment, Albert Owen Stille, buried him on the field of battle and marked the grave as his friends returned to the Ranks.
Upon hearing of his son's death, and Priscilla being devastated that her son was in Rebel Soil, Henry S. Huber left Gettysburg for Richmond to retrieve his sons remains. He arrived on June 5th and was taken to the site by the Surgeon. The remains were taken from the field, placed in a box and taken back to Gettysburg where they arrived on June 11th 1862. Pricilla insisted on seeing her son, and even though the decaying process had begun, her wish was granted. She exclaimed, "My Dear son" and bent over to kiss him. A piece of Frederick's lip has come off due to decay. The casket was closed and the remains were treated with Chlorate of Lime to rid them of the smell, and prevent further decay. On June 13th 1862 a Large Crowd, including Superintendent Peter and ElizebethThorn gathered at Evergreen Cemetery for the Funeral of Frederick A Huber, only the second Gettysburg Soldier killed during the Civil War. He was buried in Section G, Lot 8. His Non Commissioned officer's sword that he was killed with was given to his mother. He would be the last soldier to ever be buried in evergreen Cemetery at no charge.
Just over 1 year later, The American Civil War reached the North and raged through the town of Gettysburg. On mid afternoon of July 1st 1863, retreating through the streets of Gettysburg, General Oliver Otis Howard's 11th Corps retreated to Cemetery Hill in Evergreen Cemetery. The men were ordered to take the headstones in the cemetery and lie down all possible grave stones on the ground so they would not be struck, and become projectiles themselves. One stone that was not placed on the ground was Frederick A. Huber's, since there was a small sapling that had grown in front of it, protecting it. The stone was struck by rebel artillery and a chunk of the top broken off. Though dead for 1 Year, Frederick was still in some strange way part of the Historical Battle of Gettysburg. Struck down in life, in Virginia in 1862, he was again stuck down in death. His father learning of the incident were quoted as saying, "He became a part of the Battle of Gettysburg, though not present and his Grave will be an everlasting tribute to both the Freedom of the Nation and the Battle of Gettysburg. It is a Stone that I wish never to be removed."
Six months later in November of 1863, President Abraham Lincoln, who Frederick had paraded in front of in Washington D.C. at Camp Graham in November of 1861, came to Gettysburg to give his immortal Gettysburg Address. He stood on a Speakers platform just yards from Frederick A. Huber's grave and delivered words that would be considered the greatest speech of all time. In the crowd were both Henry and Pricilla Huber who had stood at their son's grave to hear the President. One of the most famous Gettysburg residents, and a true American Hero, Frederick A. Huber, a man who surely died for his country.

In the Spirit of "respect an honor", Frank P Marrone Jr, approached the Superintendent of Evergreen Cemetery, Brian A. Kennell, in December of 2010 with the proposal to get a new Grave Marker that would supplement the aging and worn stone. It was agreed between the two men that they would place a Bronze ground Marker, to be placed in front of the existing Historical Stone. Frank applied to the Veterans Administration for the Headstone and Brian agreed to place the stone and get a Granite base, free of charge.

Adams Sentinel - June 17, 1862

Death of Sergeant Huber

In our last, we briefly alluded to the death of Sergeant Frederick A. Huber, son of Dr. H. S. Huber, of this place, who fell in the battle of Fair Oaks, in front of Richmond. We have since been put in possession of some particulars, which will be of interest to our readers. The deceased, soon after the breaking out of the Rebellion, volunteered his services to the Government, like thousands of other patriotic young men, from convictions of duty, and connected himself with the 23d PA Regiment, Col. Birney, and was soon promoted to the responsible post of First Sergeant, in compliance to his fidelity and soldierly bearing.

Cap. Birney being promoted to a Brigadier, was succeeded in command of the 23d by Col. Niell, who gallantly fought his Regiment in the battle of Fair Oaks against overwhelming odds for nearly four hours. When Casey's Division was suddenly attacked Andover whelmed by the enemy, Cohen's Division (including the 23d) was ordered up to its support, and gallantly advanced to the front. The 23d was ordered to support Miller's Battery of Napoleon guns, and for near four hours held the enemy in check, who advanced in overwhelming numbers to take the battery, which was doing fearful execution in their ranks.

Again and again the enemy advanced only to be driven back by the tempest of grape and canister rained upon them by the battery, and the destructive fire of the 23d.

At one time the 23d found it necessary to make a bayonet charge, which was executed boldly and daringly, temporarily dislodging the enemy from a position they had secured. Still the foe returned, their thinned and shattered ranks supplied by fresh troops, and the murderous contest continued until 4 o'clock in the afternoon, when Miller's Battery having exhausted its last round of ammunition, Col. Niell ordered the 23d to rally upon the Regimental colors, and retreat firing, with their face to the foe.

It was awhile executing this order, and rallying his squad upon the colors, that Sergeant Huber received the severe wound in his right breast that proved fatal. Being observed to fall, he was picked up and was being carried to the rear, when he remarked to his attendants that he would die, and requested them to leave him and return to their posts, where they could be of service. Several friends, however, remained by him, until he expired, about a half hour after receiving the wound, his dying injunction to his attendants, being

"Tell Father I have died for my Country."

We learn that letters from Col. Niell, and others speak in the warmest terms of eulogy of the many and soldierly bearing of the deceased daring his entire connection with the Regiment, and especially compliment his gallant conduct in the fearful and deadly struggle of that afternoon.

Dr. Huber, who left for the field of battle upon hearing of his son's death, succeeded in securing the body, which had been carefully interred by the Surgeon of the Regiment in a separate grave, and returned with it on Friday last. The remains were interred in Ever Green Cemetery the same evening, after impressive funeral services, attended by a large concourse of sympathizing friends.

Frederick Huber was born on February 12, 1842 (Abraham Lincoln's 35th Birthday) and died on May 31, 1862. He was born in Pennsylvania. The 1860 census shows that he was "white," a Medical Student, and that he lived in the same dwelling and was part of the same family with Henry S. Huber, born circa 1815 in Pennsylvania; Priscilla Huber, born circa 1818 in Maryland; John M. Huber, born circa 1844 in Illinois; Emma M. Huber, born circa 1849 in Illinois; Anne L. Huber, born circa 1852 in Pennsylvania; Harry J. Huber, born circa 1855 in Pennsylvania; Marie A. Huber, born circa 1857 in Pennsylvania; Eliza Boyd, born circa 1795 in Pennsylvania. While a medical student in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, he enlisted as a Sergeant in Company F, 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry on August 2, 1861.Frederick A. Huber was wounded multiple times during the Battle of Fair Oaks, Virginia (May 31-June 1, 1862) and died of his wounds, either on May 31, 1862, or possibly at the beginning of June, 1862. His last words were, "Tell Dad I died for my country." He was buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania on June 13, 1862 at 6:00 PM in Section G, Lot Number 8. Frederick A. Huber was the last Civil War era soldier buried in Evergreen Cemetery who was not charged a fee for his burial permit. After his burial, it was decided not to bury the soldiers from the Gettysburg area for free as had been the custom for the first soldiers buried here.When Frederick was to be buried, his mother, Priscilla Huber (the stone to the right, or west, of Frederick's stone), insisted on opening up his casket so that she could have one last look at him. Her family (Dr. Henry Huber is the stone to the right of Mrs. Huber) attempted to talk her out of seeing the rapidly decomposing body, but she insisted. According to family tradition, she bent down to kiss him one last time, and part of Frederick ended up stuck to her lips.

Family Members



Frederick A.
Son of
Dr. H.S. and P.J. Huber
Orderly Serg 23rd Reg PV
Born Feb 12 1842
Died May 31 1862
On the Battlefield Fair Oaks V.
"Tell my Father I have died for my Country"

Gravesite Details Headstone is Faded. New Bronze Ground Marker has been ordered from VA.




  • Created by: Frank P. Marrone Jr.
  • Added: 23 Jul 2002
  • Find A Grave Memorial 6629956
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Sgt Frederick A Huber (12 Feb 1842–31 May 1862), Find A Grave Memorial no. 6629956, citing Evergreen Cemetery, Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania, USA ; Maintained by Frank P. Marrone Jr. (contributor 46545383) .