Obit appeared in the Wilmington Evening Journal, Dec. 30, 1947.
William S. Richardson, 28, was electrocuted while working on installation of the new mercury vapor lights along the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal yesterday.
Richardson, who had climbed the pole to test equipment, opened the door of a transformer. His hand apparently came into contact with a live wire and nearly 7,000 volts passsed throught his body.
As Richardson collapsed against the pole, held up by his safety belt and leg spikes, his father, Howard H. Richardson, Sr., supervisor on the work, went up and brought him down.
Richardson, had been employed with the McHugh Electric Company of Wilmington for 12 years. In the past war he served in the Marine Corps for more than a year.
He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Ruth Camperson Richardson, and three brothers, Howard H. Richardson, Jr., Stanton C. Richardson, and Kenneth L. Richardson.
Helen Richardson Riggs
Sponsored by Ancestry