Frank Jay Bartlome


Frank Jay Bartlome

Montpelier, Bear Lake County, Idaho, USA
Death 3 Jun 1997 (aged 71)
Montpelier, Bear Lake County, Idaho, USA
Burial Montpelier, Bear Lake County, Idaho, USA
Memorial ID 64821586 View Source

Frank Jay Bartlome was the 4th of six children born to Fred and Lena Mary Sutter Bartlome. He was born Jan. 19, 1926 in Montpelier, Bear Lake County, Idaho. He lived his entire life in Bear Lake, except for a brief stint in the Army. All of his schooling took place in Montpelier.

After graduating from Montpelier High School in 1944, where he won the Whitman Trophy for best lineman, Frank served for two years in World War II. He served in Patton's Third Army as Military Police, and actually ate lunch with George S. Patton. He became skilled at reading and following road maps and traveling.

After release from the Army in 1946, he came home and got a job at Safeway's Grocery Store where he worked for five years. While there, he met and Married Bertha Taylor June 17, 1947 in the Idaho Falls Temple in Idaho. The couple had three sons, Reed Jay, Don Ray, and Michael.

Frank was a hard worker and a good provider. He left Safeway and began working for the Idaho State Department of Transportation, where he worked until his retirement in 1984.

He was a member of the Bear Lake County Search and Rescue team for 23 years and a member of the Emergency Medical Technicians for 19 years. He taught over 1500 people CPR and first aid. He served his community in many ways. He said, "The people I've saved has been one of the highlights of my life."

After his retirement, Frank was called back to work four times, but he only worked in the summer and did not let work interfere with his retirement activities. One year, he was Grand Marshal of the Bear Lake County Fair.

Frank and Bertha traveled all over the world, going to places like South America, the Mediterranean, Australia, Hawaii, and the Caribbean. I personally went with them on an African Safari.

Frank had contracted cancer and was giving himself shots for treatment during the African Safari. This was difficult because of having to obtain ice to preserve the serum he carried in a small case.

When the cancer got to be too much for him, he went into the Montpelier Hospital where he was lovingly cared for by his associates in the EMT and Hospice for a time. He finally succumbed to the cancer June 3, 1997.

Frank was a member of the LDS Church, and funeral services were held in the 2nd & 6th Wards Chapel on June 6th, 1997. Interment was in the Montpelier Cemetery.

Frank was a good, faithful husband and responsible father to his wife and children. He was loved by all family and friends for his jovial personality and his ability to make everyone feel important. His passing left a void in many lives.

Written by sister-in-law Merlyn Cook.


Married June 17, 1947

Family Members



In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees

Sponsored by Ancestry