Francis Marion McDaniel


Francis Marion McDaniel

Randolph County, North Carolina, USA
Death 3 Oct 1903 (aged 68)
Carthage, Jasper County, Missouri, USA
Burial Carthage, Jasper County, Missouri, USA
Plot B 27 , L 2
Memorial ID 63628923 View Source

Excerpt of historical background article printed in the Carthage Press, January 30, 1920 titled
Such is McDaniel Co. Elevator Opening Tomorrow

Important Step in History of Business Established Here Over 50 Years Ago

Founded in 1861
The founding of the McDaniel Milling Company dates back to 1864, when the late F. M. McDaniel, of this city erected the McDaniel water-power flour mill on Spring River two miles east of Carthage. W. J. McDaniel, his nephew, is at the head of the company as it now stands. W. J. McDaniel, his nephew, is at the head of the company as it now stands. W. J. McDaniel, Sr. of Springfield, a brother of F. M. McDaniel, brought the latter here from Springfield in 1864, a few months before the close of the Civil War and helped him build a saw mill on Spring River and with this mill was sawed out the timbers and lumber of which the McDaniel Flour mill at the same site was at once erected.

h/o 1st Emuline "Emma" Jessup, 2nd Sarah E Pattison.

Birth: last of seven known children in North Carolina, reportedly Randolph county. (1900 census, AUG 1838)

Moved with parents to Greene county, Missouri by covered wagon very early in 1840's reportedly with six known siblings, but only four siblings listed on 1850 Federal census, with Harriet Haywood & Margaret Brooks both married.

Both "F M" and wife "S E McDaniel" were members of The Pioneer Club formed Dec 14, 1878 which was comprised of many of the people who were in Jasper county prior to January 1865 and Carthage prior to 1868.

A nice write up is published on pages 201 & 202 in The Biographical Record of Jasper County, Missouri, by Malcolm G McGregor, however in checking his work, ~ ~ its found Francis' parents death dates are incorrect which places a cloud of doubt over this article. It however says; Francis came to Missouri in 1841, marriage in 1859 in Greene county (married twice), during war bought horses for the Union, moved to Carthage 1865, had a 328 acre farm with horses, cattle & hogs, sold one Mill then built another. I find Ward L Schrantz's 1955 research is more believable.

It is written by some that during the later part of the Civil War Francis' older married brother Alford and sister's husband, Napoleon Morrow (father of Samuel Oscar Morrow) were killed by bushwackers. Their identical modern replacement headstones in Richwood cemetery of Christian county, Missouri have death date of 1861, which most likely (?) should be 1864.

That known as the Morrow Mill after 1929 (see second Powers Museum archival photo, at right) following World War II was, according to Marvin L VanGilder, page 53, first built on left bank of Spring river in 1848, about two and one half miles upstream from what became Carthage, Jasper county, Missouri by Washington Woodrum, buried Fremont, Iowa, when he built a dam across Spring river on his land purchased in 1847, with a mill trace on left bank. Indians would trade for finished product, camping near by, feeding off of neighbors crops and livestock, to the farmers displeasure. Many others having later ownership, such as John B Dale, a state representative and store owner on east side of square, a Mr Johnson in 1860, next operated & renamed Glass mill, by Thomas Glass of Kentucky early part of Civil War, serving both confederate and union troops, his wife eight months pregnant when Battle of Carthage occurred JUL 1861 with son Sterling Price, whose namesake was ex-Missouri governor, Confederate General Sterling Price.

Francis' next older brother, William Jasper McDaniel who died in 1883, had become a successful banker in Springfield, Greene county, Missouri, and was a partner in his new 1866 adventure of milling on Spring river, east of Carthage, Missouri during reconstruction days of the Civil War they took control of the old Glass mill and updated it for successful operation, operated by Francis Marion McDaniel, in 1878/9 they took in John Ruffin as a partner, nephew Samuel Oscar Morrow reportedly bought John Ruffin's interest then took charge about 1900, Its written Francis sold (gave?) his mill on Spring river in 1900 to "Morrow & Boyd" which was served by the Missouri-Pacific railroad's 239 mile trackage between Carthage and Batesville, Arkansas, partially built by the McNerney brothers, starting in 1905 opening transportation by rail to many areas then evolved into the Morrow Mill around 1929 following reconstruction after the fire. Francis reportedly started his Carthage five building, new modern mill, in the Frisco bottoms, east of Main street November 1900 at a cost of some $70,000, of which J. H. Staley was manager and part owner of the McDaniel Milling Company here from 1909 to 1919, later was vice president of the company, ~ ~ later to be owned & operated by National Biscuit Company. (see 1903 photo from the Ward Schrantz newspaper article of 1955, above Powers Museum photo of Morrow Mill at right).

Francis' four known sisters seemingly married successfully and around 1884 he has one sister's 1st born, Samuel Oscar Morrow, working with him at the mill who sixteen years later took charge in 1915 when it was known as Morrow & Taaffe Mill, the Mill was later, after World War 1, known from 1921 to 1929 as Morrow-Kidder Milling company, Edward W Kidder coming from Kansas City was vice-president and chief salesman, whose wife in 1928 died in Carthage, then after the 1929 fire and 1928 loss of wife, he returned to Kansas City to his father's milling company. The mill was thereafter known as Morrow Mill following Sam's son Samuel Roy Morrow, a World War I veteran, moving his family back to Carthage, then folding in with his father at the mill. Mill was replaced after 1929 fire it was then known as Morrow Mill, home for MOCO Feeds, until sold in 1976, closed in 1978 and burnt, except for concrete elevators, in 1981.

Now, 2013, the access road is known as Morrow Mill road extending south from old U S highway #66, The Mother Road, to Fairview, with new bridge over Spring river and the Mill's damn removed.

Census: 1850, age 15 in Finley township, Greene (now Christian) county, Missouri with parents & four siblings.

Census: 1860, age 25 in Finley township, Christian formerly Greene county, Missouri with parents and 1st wife Emuline McDaniel (Emma Jessup,?).

Census: 1870, age 34 in Marion township, Jasper county, Missouri with 2nd wife Sally, daughter Ada McDaniel and some farm & mill helpers.

Census: 1880,age 45 Madison township, Jasper county, Missouri with 2nd wife. daughter Ada, and some helpers.

Census: 1900, age 61 (sic), in Carthage, Jasper county, Missouri with wife, birth shown as AUG 1838, married thirty years and had NO children, living at 312 Clinton street.

Death: by drowning in Spring river, at Carthage, Jasper county, Missouri

Buried in Park cemetery plot with wife's great nephew McDaniel Logan (1885-1963).



Probably Lost His Balance While Stooping Over on the Bank -

Accident Happened Sunday on Spring River Near the Upper Bridge -

Life Was Extinct When Body Was Rescued

F. M. McDaniel, one of the best known citizens of Carthage and a very highly respected citizen, met death Sunday afternoon in Spring River just above the upper bridge by drowning.

It was at first said that Mr. McDaniel committed suicide but after a thorough investigation little evidence is found to support that theory or for that matter any other. However, member of the family, who are thoroughly acquainted with his life, are of the opinion that this drowning was accidental.

For many months he has been in very poor health and at many times suffered with severe headaches became very warm and a little cold water applied relieved this to a certain extent. It has not been uncommon also for him to take walks out a little from the city. The theory of relatives is that Sunday afternoon he started to walk along the river and that the exertion brought on one of his headaches. They think that he stooped over, scooping the water up in his hand to bathe his head. It is supposed by his relatives that he lost his balance and fell into the river, and because of his failing strength, was unable to get out. the water at this point is over ten feet deep. This is the most plausible theory and there is little or no evidence of suicide.

Mr. McDaniel had a horror of a man dying by his own hand and had often expressed this horror. He did not believe any man had a right to take his own life and this is one of the many reasons the family does not think he killed himself.

The body was discovered about 1:30 o'clock in the afternoon by a farmer and his family, who were driving along the road which clings close the the river's bank at this point. The body was then floating on top of the water. At first they took the form to be a log but on a second look it was found to be the body of a man. It was floating about twenty-five feet from the land in very deep water, although there is almost no current at this part of the driver on account of the dam only a short distance away. The farmer had no means with which to rescue the body and he called to Briggs, the local fisherman, who was with some other parties close by. They came to know how to get the body to land. O. P. Twigg of 1117 James Street and William Dorris, residing northeast of this city, happened to pass. On discovering the crowd watching the body, they joined in. Tying a small stone of the fish line of one of the fisherman, they threw it out beyond the body. Slowing drawing the line in, the hook caught in the clothing and the body was brought to land. It was examined but no one recognized the features of the man, his sickness of the past year causing him to look much different to what his friends knew him.

To the crowd gathered on the bank of the river, the body seemed at some places to be a little warm. A hand placed on the back of his neck showed that life had not long been extinct. While William Dorris drove to the city to get a physician the people gathered there attempted by all known means to renew life in the body. The form was rolled and lifted, and artificial respiration was produced by means of moving the arms and the water was forced from the lungs. It was impossible, however to get any heart movement. The body was worked with for nearly an hour but all efforts to bring him to life were of no avail.

Dr. Rhoades and Dr. Carter went to the scene of the drowning as soon as they were notified. They immediately made an examination and pronounced life extinct. About the time of the arrival of the doctor, Constable Gividen took charge of the body.

The remains were first identified by Elmer Allen, who resides northeast of the city. He had talked to Mr. McDaniel shortly before noon at Fulton and Fourth Streets in this city. Mr. Allen was then on his way home. He was driving and Mr. McDaniel was walking. They stopped and talked for a few minutes and Mr. Allen continued on his way home. As soon as he saw the body at the side of the river he recognized the features and the clothes worn. He told the few people gathered there that the body was that of F. M. McDaniel. Mr. and Mrs. H. T. During, who were driving in the country and passed brought the news to the city and conveyed it to Mrs. McDaniel.

It is considered very strange that the body was floating so soon after death. It is generally supposed that a body sinks as soon as the lungs became filled with water and that it will not return to the surface again for several days. However, in this case, the body was on the surface when discovered and did not sink while it was being brought to the land. Whether or not there was sufficient air under his clothes to buoy up the body is not known. McDaniel's hat was found on the bank of the river about twenty feet above the place where the body was first discovered. The river is very wide here, the place being just above the mill dam. The body could not have been in the water over thirty or forty minutes and it had moved downstream no father than this. This is accounted for by the fact that above the dam there is almost no current and a log thrown in the water would have gone about the same distance. the hat had evidently been carefully places on the bank by Mr. McDaniel and he would pick it up again in a few moments. The bank at this place is high but it is cut away in a narrow run down to the edge of the water. A few stones have been placed here by fishermen as this is said to be a good fishing point and is used a great deal. There are a number of trees and considerable underbrush here and it is probable that Mr. McDaniel selected this as a cool spot, where he could dampen his head and rest for a few minutes before returning home. It has been no uncommon thing for him to take walks and his absence from home at this time of the day does not necessarily support a theory of suicide.

His sickness for the past year had caused him to become wasted in flesh and it is reported his mind has been slightly affected, although he has never had any actions to cause any member of the family to think that he would take his own life. His sickness has been a brain trouble but he has been in better health recently. He spent a sort time at Hot Springs and has spent the greater part of the summer visiting relatives in Springfield. He returned to his home in Carthage only a few weeks ago. He has been unable to look after his business for a year or more, however.
For sometime it has been necessary for the family to keep a watch over him. Twice Sunday morning he roamed from the house and was found both times. One of these times he was found at Tangner's barn and the other time on North Meridan Street, close to the McDaniel Milling company's mill. He was taken home both times. However, later in the morning he strayed away again and did not return. Relatives who began searching for him were unable to find where he had gone. At the time the news reached the square and search was being made for Mr. McDaniel and when the relatives learned that a man had been drowned in the river they hastened to the place fearing that it might be Mr. McDaniel. The body had been identified previous to their reaching it by A. E. Allen.

Upon the announcement of the doctors that Mr. McDaniel was dead Constable Gividen immediately made arrangements for the inquest. He telephoned to Alba for Coroner Eamos but could not reach him. He then tried to get Deputy Coroner Potter of Joplin, but was again unsuccessful. He then asked Judge Warren Woodard to serve. A jury composed of Walter Finke, Will Turner, H. F. Neihart, O. P. Twigg, Frank Metcalf and Bud Meador was empaneled. The jury first viewed the remains at the river where they lay and again a short time later at the morgue of the Knell Undertaking Company, to which place they had been reviewed. After viewing the body the juty adjourned until yesterday morning at 9 o'clock when the inquest was continued. A number of witnesses who had either seen Mr. McDaniel in the morning or were present when the body was found testified. the verdict rendered was that Mr. McDaniel came to his heath "by drowning in Spring River and that said drowning was brought about by the said F. M. McDaniel while in a weak condition physically mentally by either falling or wading into the water."

The funeral was conducted from the residence. Rev. Dr. H. O. Scott, pastor of the First Presbyterian church and the Rev. W. S. Knight.

F. M. McDaniel was born in North Carolina and was 66 years old when he died. He came to Missouri with his parents when about six years old. He was raised in what was then Greene County [now, Christian county], about two miles west of Ozark. There he was married about 1861 to a Miss Jessup, whose parents lived about three miles from his father's farm. Their only daughter married T. M.[sic, Frank E] Headley of Springfield but is now dead leaving one son. Mr. McDaniel's first wife died in 1864 (sic, 1865).

About 1866 or 1867 he came to Carthage. He has been in the milling business here thirty-seven years, most of the time as one of the proprietors of the mill two miles up the river which so long bore his name and which was run by water power from Spring River. Thus Spring River, which had been his willing servant so many years, received him restfully to it's bosom in the end and became his master.

Mr. McDaniel also bought the large farm adjoining the mill on the west. The mill was at once refitted and practically rebuilt. His brother, W. J. McDaniel, was his partner in the milling business. In about 1870 he married his present wife, Miss Patterson (sic), daughter of A. M. Patterson of Carthage. They had no children. In 1878 or 1879 McDaniel Brothers took into partnership with them in the milling business
John T. Ruffin, in 1884 Samuel O. Morrow, a nephew of Mr. McDaniel, bought the Ruffin interest. About three years ago Mr. Morrow bought out the McDaniels' interests, and then Mr. McDaniel organized a company and built the $40,000 steam flouring mill of the McDaniel Milling company in this city and owned almost half the stock in it. The other half was owned chiefly by his nieces and nephews.

Mr. McDaniel, when he first came to Carthage lived at his farm near the mill. Later he moved to the east part of town and later, about twenty years ago, to the residence where he has ever since lived, at the corner of Fourth and Clinton. He carried no insurance on his life and so far as it is known left no will. He leaves besides his wife and grandson, two sisters who reside at Springfield - Mrs. Nancy Morrow and Mrs. Harriett Young

Father: Samuel A McDaniel b: 21 DEC 1796 in Randolph county, North Carolina
Mother: Sarah "Sally" Bray b: 19 AUG 1784 in Chatham county, North Carolina

Marriage 1 Emuline "Emma" Jessup b: 18 MAY 1840 in Indiana
Married: 1859 in Greene now Christian county, Missouri (noted several places but is NOT otherwise documented)

Known child

Ida/Ada McDaniel b: 24 DEC 1860 Christian, formerly Greene county, Missouri.

Marriage 2 Sarah E Pattison b: 2 APR 1838 in Greenfield, Hancock county, Indiana
Married: 20 APR 1870 in Jasper county, Missouri

No known children.

Revised: 20-July-2013 (after viewing Pete's, son of Joesph "Joe" Morrow, preliminary history of Morrow Mill)

Researched and prepared by Boggess and Brewer


In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees

Sponsored by Ancestry