William I, Count of Burgundy and Macon, nicknamed the Great, le Grand or Tête Hardie, "the Stubborn" This is NOT William the Great.
William was a son of Renaud / Reginald I and Adelaide, and grandson of Otto William, Count Of Burgundy and Ermentrude of Reims and Roucy, Richard II, Duke of Normandy and Judith of Brittany. William was a descendant of the Viking Norman ruler, Rollo Rognavladsson.
William married Etiennette de Longuy aka Stephanie de Lorraine, daughter of Adalbert, Duc de Lorraine and Clementia of Foix. They had many children including:
* Renaud II, William's successor, died on First Crusade
* Stephen I, successor to Renaud II, died on the Crusade of 1101
* Raymond, married Urraca, the reigning queen of Castile
* Guy of Vienne, Pope Calixtus II
* Sybilla, wife of Eudes I of Burgundy
* Gisela, wife of Humbert II of Savoy & Renier I of Montferrat
* Hugh III, Archbishop of Besançon
* Clementia, wife of Robert II, Count of Flanders & Godfrey I, Count of Leuven
* Stephanie, wife of Lambert, Prince de Royans
* Ermentrude, wife of Theodoric I
William succeeded his father in 1057 and reigned over a territory larger than that of the Franche-Comté itself. He died in 1087 at Besançon and was buried there in the cathedral of St John.