Walter S. Plock


Walter S. Plock

Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA
Death 28 Apr 1900 (aged 30)
Richmond City, Virginia, USA
Burial Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA
Plot Plot 116, Grave 4, 1
Memorial ID 60764806 View Source

Professional baseball player in 1891. Centerfielder for the Philadelphia Phillies.

cause of death: bridge accident

[Patriot News - April 30, 1900]

By the toppling over of an overhead crane on the Richmond, Petersburg and Caroline railroad trestle, at Richmond, on Saturday, three lives were crushed out and three other workmen, one a Harrisburg man, were injured.

Harry Marzolf, of this city, is numbered among the dead. He was found some time after the accident covered under the crane and girder which was being lifted into position when the accident occurred.

The injured man from this city is Joseph Simmers, bridge builder for the Pennsylvania Steel Company, at Steelton, and who resides with his wife and two children at 1115 Wallace Street. Walter S. Plock, of Philadelphia, who was a relative of Mr. Simmers and George B. Bower, of Halifax, were killed.

The injured men besides Mr. Simmers were Miller Brubaker, of Halifax, who had his left leg broken above the ankle and Leslie Everett, of Richmond, whose skull and collar bone were broken. Everett, it is said here last night, is dead.

The accident, according to a story told last night by an employee of the steel works, occurred between 3 and 4 o'clock. A thirteen-ton girder, he said, was being hoisted preparatory to being placed in position, when the overhead crane fell from the track into the street thirty feet below. At the time the crane fell there were perhaps a dozen men working around it. Some were on the girder and some were beneath it. Marzolf, of this city, whose body was badly bruised, had been holding a guide rope and was crushed under the awful weight.

Mr. Simmers and a force of men have been working at Richmond for some time and when the accident was first reported here the telegram announced that Clarence Simmers, son of the bridge builder and his assistant, had been killed. By a second dispatch, which quickly followed the first one, this report was denied. Clarence was not even slightly injured.

Mrs. Simmers, wife of the injured man, was seen at her home last night and was almost prostrated over the accident. She and her daughter, Rowena, were anxiously waiting on a telegram announcing the return to this city of the husband and father. Mr. Simmers is very well known in this city and in the bridge department in Steelton, where he is best known, the news of the accident was received with general regret.

Harry Marzolf lived with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Marzolf, at 931 Grand Street. He had been in the employ of the steel company for about ten years and was unmarried. Mr. Marzolf was twenty-seven years old and was well liked by his friends and his associates in the bridge department. Recently when a force of men were selected to go to India to erect an immense viaduct for the company, Marzolf was picked to be one of the chosen few. He declined the trip to India because of the objections his parents had to the journey and the distance from home. Besides his father and mother Mr. Marzolf is survived by three brothers and one sister. The brothers are still at home.

The victim was a member of the German Lutheran Church, this city, and was generally liked for his good disposition.

The first intelligence his family had of the accident was at 9:30 o'clock Saturday night. It was then said that the young man was fatally injured. This information came from Steelton. At 1 o'clock Sunday morning a second telegram told of his death.

Walter Plock, the Philadelphia man who met death in the falling of the crane, was at one time a ball player and was formerly a member of the Philadelphia police force. His wife had been in Richmond just one month. Saturday was his first day on the hoisting machine. He was a cousin of Mr. Simmers, of this city, the injured man.

Bower, of Halifax, who was killed, had been with the working crew at Richmond for some time and is survived by a wife and nine children. Everett, who resided in Richmond, was employed on the trestle since the work was started there several months ago.


In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees

Sponsored by Ancestry