The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Mary Etta <I>Bradley</I> Nash

Mary Etta Bradley Nash

Buchanan, Haralson County, Georgia, USA
Death 22 Jun 1985 (aged 88)
Downey, Los Angeles County, California, USA
Burial Gregson, Silver Bow County, Montana, USA
Memorial ID 6047879 · View Source
Suggest Edits

My maternal grandmother was born to Andrew & Louise (Williams) Bradley in Buchanan, Georgia, where she grew up. She was named after the town of Marietta, Georgia, but her name was two names rather than one. She had an older brother, Daniel, and two younger ones, Robert and David.

When she was 12 years old, she was walking into town on an errand for her mother when she saw two young men in suits on a street corner singing a hymn, "O My Father." She immediately fell in love with it and went home singing it. Her mother asked her where she heard it and she told her. Her mother said "Those are Mormon missionaries" and sent her to bring them home. Her family had joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints before she was born, but due to mob hostility, missionaries had been pulled out of the area. She was baptized not long after meeting the two missionaries.

Her family was later instrumental in building the first LDS meetinghouse in the state of Georgia. The mobs burned it down. They rebuilt it and it was burned down again. The third time, they were shot at while building the Church. But, it is still standing and in use today.

As a young adult, she was serving as Branch pianist. One Sunday, it was announced what new missionaries would soon be transferred to the area. When she heard the name "Robert Alma Nash" from Utah, she had a feeling that she would marry him and that they would have 9 children. She thought she was losing her mind to think this.

When they did meet, she thought he was crass and she didn't like him at all. However, after he went home, they corresponded. After her family moved to Idaho, he came to see her. Soon, he won her heart. As a wedding gift, her parents paid for them to take a train to Salt Lake City to be married. They showed up at the Salt Lake Temple on January 2, 1918. (I guess you didn't need an appointment in those days.) However, the temple was closed for cleaning. Ironically, the man who had set Grandpa apart for his mission answered the door of the temple annex. He married them in the annex. They came back in June and were sealed.

She and Grandpa lived in Idaho, Utah, and Montana. And, they did have 9 children. The first three were all born in Rigby, Idaho: Twins, Robert Alma Jr. and James Andrew; and Daniel Edwin. Hazel Louise and Mildred Elnora (my mother) were both born in Garfield, Utah. Melvin Lawrence was born in Tooele, Utah. Wilma Mae was born in Vernal, Utah. And, Mary Murlene and Verla June were both born in Tooele, Utah.
The twins were 17 when Verla came along.

They settled in Butte, Montana in 1939. He passed away in 1964. She lived there until 1981 when she went to California to live with her son, Dan, and his wife, Leah May. She lived there until her death in 1985.

After she was widowed, she took training and became a general practical nurse. She also served as a temple worker at the Salt Lake LDS Temple.

Grandma loved music and was a talented pianist. She served as Church pianist many times. She also had a "green thumb." She had a beautiful yard and garden. The back yard was filled with tall orange poppies. The front yard had large rose and lilac bushes and trees of various types. And, her flower beds were filled with flowers of all sorts. My favorites were the violas which looked like tiny pansies, and the lilacs. I still have a vase that she had my parents bring to me filled with lilacs once when I was sick.

I was very close to Grandma Nash. She was the only grandparent that I knew very well, my grandfathers having died before I was born and my paternal grandmother when I was 5.

She had over 40 grandchildren (some died in infancy), but I always thought that I was her favorite, at least of the younger grandchildren. There were rules for all of the little kids at Grandma's house. The only ones that applied to me were safety rules that applied to everybody. I was allowed to do things my cousins weren't at her house. When she sold her house and moved into an apartment, my Mom was helping her move. She sent several of her things that were my favorites home with Mom for me plus a few other things. To my knowledge, I was the only grandchild she did so for.

I was close to my parents, but I was definitely a Grandma's Girl. She died when I was 16, almost 17. I still miss her very much.

Family Members


  • Created by: A Marine's Daughter
  • Added: 25 Dec 2001
  • Find A Grave Memorial 6047879
  • darealjolo
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Mary Etta Bradley Nash (9 Apr 1897–22 Jun 1985), Find A Grave Memorial no. 6047879, citing Sunset Memorial Park, Gregson, Silver Bow County, Montana, USA ; Maintained by A Marine's Daughter (contributor 46506165) .