Suggest Edits

Gertrude Sonora Whisonant Crawford Young Schubert

  • Birth 7 Aug 1914 Morganton, Burke County, North Carolina, USA
  • Death 30 Jul 2001 Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee, USA
  • Burial Glades, Morgan County, Tennessee, USA
  • Memorial ID 5908507

Second wife of George William Schubert. First wife of Arlin Earnest Young. Mother of six children,Dewey Earl Young (1930-1955), Hyllis Lorene Young Sellers (1933-1994),P. Loretta Young Spunt,G.Irene Young Templin, Clayton Hilary Young and Lillian Arlene Young Mioduski. Daughter of Lillian Anna Gertrude Whisonant Crawford and step-daughter of Roy Edward Crawford. She was never adopted by her step-dad but used his name for school and even married as Gertrude Crawford. (We all laughed about Mom and Dad not being legal until common law set in, well after the first 3 of us were born.) When she passed she was the grandmother of 17, the great-grandmother of 28 and the great-great-grandmother of 11, and the numbers continue to grow.
Mom was many things to many people, she was a great cook and baker, she made hundreds of beautiful quilts for family and friends, she loved to garden and always had jelly, apple butter and vegetables to hand out to everyone who loved it. She was a great letter writer and wrote letters to her childhood friends as well as many other friends and family until her death. She worked crosswork puzzles in ink and loved to read books, her favorite was Gone With the Wind. She was a joy to know and it was an honor to be her daughter.


I wanted to share a few things with everyone about Mom that you might not have known.
She was born in Morganton N.C. on August 7,1914, she lived in Rock Hill S.C. with her mother and grandparents who loved her very much. Once her mother married they moved to Omaha Neb. Then out to Billings Montana where her stepfather and some of his family did construction work. After that they moved back to S.C. and then on to Chicago. She went to Moose Grammer school in Chicago where she finished the 8th grade but she had to quit school to go to work. She worked in a purse factory and took the money home to her mother. She also helped out at the boarding house her mother had with the cooking and cleaning.
When she was 14 years old she met our Dad and soon ran off to Valparaiso Ind. and married him on Aug. 12,1929, just 5 days after her 15th birthday. On April 28,1930 she had the first of her 6 kids and on April 11, 1948 she had the last one, me.
During those first 18 years she lived in Chicago and New Jersey before moving to Tennessee where life was very hard for her. She often told me that Grandpa Hilary and so many good friends, Ida, Rosie and Esau made living here bearable for her and her kids. Grandpa Hilary taught her how to make biscuits and how to can jelly without ever using sure jell. In 1951 Mom took Loretta and me to Chicago to visit Dad and stayed. Dad's cousin Lola helped her find a job and his sister Velma told her about an apartment on North Ave. Once she settled in everyone else came too. Said she just couldn't go back to the hard life that was waiting here in Tennessee.
She took me somewhere every Saturday afternoon, to the movies, the circus, stage plays, musicals, the ice capaides, navy pier, the prudential building and street fairs all over the city, no matter what group was having one. Because I was the youngest she had more time to spend with me, one of her favorite things was going to the library. She loved to read and to read out loud to me. The first book I remember her reading to me was Gone With The Wind, I was 5 or 6 years old, and sharing a bedroom with Irene who had a very busy social life, I was always in bed asleep before she came home. Anyway Mom would curl up next to me and read out loud until I fell asleep. She was also a great speller, even after I was grown I'd call her up and ask if I spelled a word right, she'd either say yes and laugh or tell me the right way to spell it. I had spell check years before I had a computer. One interest leads to another, so she was great with crossword puzzles, she always did them in ink. She loved to dance and once in awhile she'd go to a social with friends from work. She'd get all dressed up, thanks to Loretta who helped her pick out nice things and wear high heels and sometimes pretty hats and jewelry. She was a knockout with her bright red hair.
When I was 10 years old Mom took me to New York City, we went on the train and it was a wonderful trip. After we got there she took 2 huge hat pins with pearls and rhinestones out of her purse and wove one of them in and out of the material of my blouse saying, "Anyone gets too close, stick em"!! That's when I realized she was the bravest person I knew. Thank goodness we never had to use them.
When I was 12 or 13 years old she had to be rushed from her Drs. office to the hospital. I was alone with her and she wanted to call someone to come and get me but of course I said I was going with her. She finally agreed I could go but only after she made the ambulance driver promise to keep the lights and siren on so I'd have some fun out of the experience. We talked about that high speed ride through the city very often over the years.
Another ride we took together once was the el to somewhere. We were going home one afternoon and somehow got on the wrong el train, once Mom realized we were going the wrong way she said she'd never been that way before so we should stay on till the end of the line and see what we could see. We spent about 2 hours going out around the city and back looking at the neighborhoods and talking about the buildings and just exploring from the window of an el train.
Mom had many talents but there was one we asked her to do all the time,Mom could whistle, she'd stick her fingers in her mouth and out would come the loudest whistle. Clayton was so jealous when he was a kid.Ha! No one we ever met could top her but she was happy to find out a couple of years ago that she has a great grand daughter, Teresa who has inherited this same talent with a little different technique, she doesn't have to use her fingers.
Most people wouldn't know that New Years Eve was her favorite holiday, she loved to go outside and bang pots and pans together and blow horns and yell happy new years. Jim and I shared that with her lots of times and if we weren't able to be together we'd make noise over the phone together. I will never forget New Years Eve 1967, when she got all dressed up and went to a Conway Twitty concert. She loved it!! One of her hopes was to see the year 2000, she talked about it for years before anyone else did, if she could live long enough to see the date change to the next century she would have had a good long life and a big time on the porch with her noice makers. She made it and then some.
It wouldn't have mattered how long she lived, we would have wanted more and we will miss her for the rest of our lives but we all have our own special memories to keep her with us always.

Huston Lewallen said a few words and a prayer at the cemetery and that was Mom's funeral service.

I didn't say anything about George but everyone there knew his ashes and urn was laying beside her and buried with her.

Happy 8th angel day Momma, I love and miss you with all my heart.

Family Members

  • Created by: Lillian A. Young Mioduski
  • Added: 30 Oct 2001
  • Find A Grave Memorial 5908507
  • Lillian A. Young Mioduski
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Gertrude Sonora Whisonant Crawford Young Schubert (7 Aug 1914–30 Jul 2001), Find A Grave Memorial no. 5908507, citing Union Grove Baptist Church Cemetery, Glades, Morgan County, Tennessee, USA ; Maintained by Lillian A. Young Mioduski (contributor 46508098) .