The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Kenneth James Browning

Kenneth James Browning

Idaho Falls, Bonneville County, Idaho, USA
Death 6 Sep 1957 (aged 29)
Willard, Box Elder County, Utah, USA
Burial Murray, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Plot 11 076 3
Memorial ID 58653 · View Source
Suggest Edits

4 Crash Victims Married,
Eleven Children Survive

Eleven children were left fatherless in the crash of an automobile and truck early Friday on U.S. Highway 91 near Willard.

Here is a brief history of the lives of the five men.

Redge Lyle Johnson
Myron Hugh Brinkerhoff
Glen H. Hansen
Stanley P. Brinkerhoff
Kenneth J. Browning
Kenneth (Ken) James Browning was born April 12, 1928, at Idaho Falls, Idaho, son of Lester M., arid Cleofa Webster Browning.

He attended Idaho Falls High School where he was an outstanding football player and boxer. He also was active in the Idaho Falls Fifth Ward, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. After graduation in 1946 he enlisted in the Navy.

He was discharged from the service in 1948 and married Arlene Frint. Following a divorce, he married Karen Oswald, Idaho Falls, who survives him.

For a period of three years he operated the Browning; Furniture and Appliance Co., in Salt Lake City.

Other survivors include a son, Alan, 7, a newborn son, Kenneth Lars, and a daughter, Connie, 5. He also is survived by a brother, Lloyd, Orem.

Funeral arrangements will be announced later by the Jenkins Mortuary, 4760 S. State, Murray.

The Salt Lake Tribune, Saturday, September 7, 1957

Five Meet Violent Death
In Box Elder Smashup

Special to The Tribune
WILLARD, Box Elder County, Sept. 6-Five Utah men were killed and their bodies fused into the new automobile in which they crashed into a huge semi-trailer truck near here early Friday.

Investigators identified the victims as Stanley Brinkerhoff, 27, 1385 Jefferson St., Salt Lake City, the driver; Myron Hugh Brinkerhoff, 42, 1167 Lorraine Dr., Salt Lake City, owner of the car and uncle of the driver; Redge Lyle Johnson, 35, 2134 10th East, Salt Lake City; Kenneth J. Browning, 29, 94 W. 9400 South, Murray, and Glen H. Hansen, 23, 140 E. 1st. North, Spanish Fork.

On Way to Work

The men were believed on their way to work near Brigham City when the accident occurred.

Driver of the 45,000-pound truck and semi-trailer, L. E. Butterfield, 39, 865 Riley Cir., Salt Lake City, was unhurt.

The relief driver, Lloyd W. Price, 39, 2624-9th East, Salt Lake City, was asleep in the sleeping compartment of the truck and suffered a small cut over the right eye.

According to the driver of the Pacific Intermountain Express truck and semi-trailer, he and his relief driver were going south in the outside lane of the four-lane U.S. 91 and 30S high way, driving possibly 45 to 47 miles an hour, as 47 is the limit with truck.

'In Wrong Lane'

"I was not paying any particular attention to traffic at 4 a.m., until, all at once, I saw this northbound car, headed toward the truck in the wrong lane of traffic, coming right at me.

"In an attempt to avoid the collision, I tried to swerve to the left, and then suddenly he driver of the car seemed to wake up or something and headed for me in the inside lane, turning abruptly directly into the truck, head-on," said Mr. Butterfield.

"By that time, I had braked my truck to possibly 30 miles an hour, but the oncoming car was simply ground underneath the truck before both vehicles came to a stop," he said.

Hooked Front End

One wrecker summoned to the scene hooked onto the front end of the huge truck and tried to lift it off the car, but could not raise it high enough to free the car underneath.

Lowered to the ground again the wrecker hooks and chains were fastened farther back on the truck frame and this time was able to lift it high enough for a second wrecker to pull the car free.

The shock of Impact had been so great the front wheels and axle of the truck had been knocked loose and were crosswise over the car.

Three bodies in the back seat of the car hung with heads nearly outside the car's left rear door, while the other two, in the front seat, were buried under crumpled, twisted metal debris.

Two-Hour Task

It took nearly two hours for workers to free the two vehicles, and then get the bodies out of the car and loaded into mortuary ambulances from Harold B. Felt Mortuary, Brigham City, where the bodies were taken.

State Trooper TeWayne Woodland, in charge of the investigation, was assisted by Weber County deputy sheriffs, Roy and South Ogden city police.

The weighmaster at the state checking station near Utah Hot Springs, about two miles south of the scene of the accident, said they were unable to raise anyone at Box Elder County sheriff's office or police station in an effort to get help.

As his truck was being towed off the paved highway, Mr. Butterfield stood looking, and said, "That is the worst accident I've ever seen." He paused and then added, "And to think it had to be me."

The Salt Lake Tribune, Saturday, September 7, 1957

Family Members




  • Maintained by: Anne
  • Originally Created by: Utah State Historical Society
  • Added: 2 Feb 2000
  • Find A Grave Memorial 58653
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Kenneth James Browning (12 Apr 1928–6 Sep 1957), Find A Grave Memorial no. 58653, citing Murray City Cemetery, Murray, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by Anne (contributor 46788213) .