Augustin Ferdinand “James” Dion


Augustin Ferdinand “James” Dion

Saint-Pierre-les-Becquets, Centre-du-Quebec Region, Quebec, Canada
Death 1 Jan 1904 (aged 67)
Bath, Steuben County, New York, USA
Burial Bath, Steuben County, New York, USA
Plot E, 14, 1
Military Private, 2nd Vermont Infantry Co. D
Memorial ID 584434 View Source

James was born in St. Pierre les Becquets, Quebec as Augustin Ferdinand Dion to Augustin Noel Dion and Margurite Gauvreau and baptized on 12 May 1836 in the Roman Catholic church. "Ferdinand" as he went by living in Quebec lived with his family until at least 1851. Many of his siblings moved to America to find better opportunities there. As an older sibling in his family, James was one of the first to make the move.

He arrived in Glenn Falls, NY on the 4th of October 1855. By 1859 he was in Richmond, MA where he took on the name James and married Mary Ann Monney on 9 November 1859. His parents stayed in Quebec along with a younger brother Octave who looked after his parents until their deaths.

In the 1860 census they are living next to Mary's parent and siblings. James is a laborer and his father in law is a wood chopper. In 1861 James and Mary had a daughter Emma Cordelia in Bennington, VT.

In March 1862 James enlisted as a private in the Union army and served with the 2nd Vermont Volunteer Infantry in Company D. His first battle was at Lee's Mills (Apr '62). By May he was sick and in July was taken by the US Hospital Steamer Commodore to Washington with typhoid. He was also listed as sick the in hospital for July 15-Sept 1862. During this time he missed several battles: Garnetts and Goldings Farm, Savage's Station, White Oak Swamp, Crampton's Gap, and Antietam.

After recovering, James fought in the following battles; Fredericksburg (Dec '62), 2nd Fredericksburg (May '63), Franklin's Crossing (Jun '63), Gettysburg and Funkstown (Jul '63), Rappahannock Station (Nov '63), Wilderness and Spotsylvania (May '64) where he was wounded and captured. He was taken to Andersonville prison from May of 1864 until he was transferred to Florence Stockade and was released in December of 1864. He was paroled at Annapolis, MD where he stayed in the general hospital until April of '65. He was discharged April 21, 1865.

James' father in law Peter Monney, who had enlisted with the 57th Massachusettes in 1864, died from wounds he received at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, VA on May 13, 1864.

By 1865 James and Mary are living in Dalton, Berkshire, MA with his widowed mother in law Sophie Monney, Mary's younger brother Albert, and James and Mary's two children Emma and a son Alexander who was born in about 1865. James was Naturalized in October 1867 while still living in Dalton, MA. Sometime between 1867 - 1869 James, Mary and Emma moved back to Vermont where they had lived before the war. During this time in 1868 Mary's mother Sophie died of uterine cancer which might have prompted the move back to Vermont.

In 1869 while in Bennington, VT James and Mary had a son who likely died at birth and was never named. It is also likely that their son Alexander died before 1870 because he is not with them on the 1870 Bennington, VT census or any future census records.

In 1873 they moved to Buffalo, New York where James worked as a scale builder for Fairbanks & Co. Mary died in Buffalo in 1882 and Emma their daughter died in 1892. James lived with his son in law and three grandchildren until his son in laws death. By 1900 James moved into the Bath, New York Soliders' and Sailors' Home where he was found dead in his bed in his barracks on 1 January 1904 at age 67.


Jas. Dion
Co. D.
2 VT Inf.


In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees

Sponsored by Ancestry