The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

MMC Victor Harold Abbott

MMC Victor Harold Abbott

Seattle, King County, Washington, USA
Death 13 Nov 1942 (aged 22–23)
Burial Manila, Metro Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines
Plot Tablets of the Missing
Memorial ID 56780800 · View Source
Suggest Edits

MMC Victor H. Abbott was the son of John S and Mary H Abbott and the husband of Heriott Jane Abbott, whom lived in Seattle, Washington at the time he was reported to be missing in action.

MMC Abbott enlisted into the US Navy initially on 13 Sept, 1937, and then re-enlisted again on 10 Sep 1941 in Seattle, Washington. His assignments included the USS Jarvis from January 1941 to October, 1941. On 30 September, 1941, he was assigned to the USS Wharton until January, 1942. On 14 February, 1942, he reported for duty aboard the USS Juneau.

The first USS Juneau (CL-52) was a United States Navy Atlanta-class light cruiser sunk at the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal in November 1942. In total 687 men, including the five Sullivan brothers, were killed in action as a result of its sinking.

In May, 1942, the Juneau was conducting blockade patrols off Martinique and Guadeloupe Islands to prevent the escape of Vichy French Naval units. Afterward, she had a brief period to refit, but then assumed patrol and escort duty operations in the North Atlantic and Caribbean from 1 June, 1992 to 22 August, 1942.

From there, the Juneau returned to the Pacific theater where she rendezvoused with Task Force 18 under the command of Rear Admiral Leigh Noyes on 10 September, 1942. The following day, Task Force 17-which included the USS Hornet and additional ships, combined to form Task Force 61-with the mission to ferry fighter aircraft to Guadalcanal. On 15 September the TF came under attack. During the attack, the USS Wasp took three torpedo hits from the Japanese submarine I-19. With fires raging out of control, the Wasp was sunk at 2100 hours. 1,910 survivors were rescued by the Juneau and other screen destroyers. The survivors were transported to New Hebrides. Once the survivors were dropped off, the Juneau continued combat operations for the duration of September and October involving the Juneau.

On 8 November, Juneau departed Nouméa, New Caledonia as a unit of TF 67 under the command of Rear Admiral Richmond K. Turner to escort reinforcements to Guadalcanal. The force arrived there early on the morning of 12 November, where she took up station in the protective screen around the transports and cargo vessels. Unloading proceeded unmolested until 2:05 p.m., when 30 Japanese planes attacked the alerted United States group. The AA fire was effective and the Juneau alone, accounted for six enemy torpedo bombers shot down. The few remaining Japanese planes were in turn-attacked by American fighters. Only one bomber escaped. Later in the day, an American attack group of cruisers and destroyers cleared Guadalcanal on reports that a large enemy surface force was headed for the island.

At 0148 on 13 November, Rear Admiral Daniel J. Callaghan's relatively small Landing Support Group engaged the enemy. The Japanese force consisted of two battleships, one light cruiser, and nine destroyers. Because of bad weather and confused communications, the battle occurred in near pitch darkness and at almost point-blank range as the ships of the two sides became intermingled. During the melee, the Juneau was struck on the port side by a torpedo causing a severe list, and necessitating withdrawal. Before noon on 13 November, the Juneau, along with two other cruisers damaged in the battle-the USS Helena and USS San Francisco, headed toward Espiritu Santo for repairs. The Juneau was steaming on one screw, keeping station 800 yards off the starboard quarter of the likewise severely damaged San Francisco. She was down 12 ft by the bow, but able to maintain 13 knots. A few minutes after 1100, two torpedoes were launched from Japanese I-26. These were intended for the San Francisco, but both passed ahead of her. One struck the Juneau in the same place that had been hit during the battle. There was a great explosion; the Juneau broke in two and disappeared in just 20 seconds.

Fearing more attacks from I-26, and wrongly assuming from the massive explosion that there were no survivors, the Helena and the San Francisco departed without attempting to rescue any survivors. In fact, more than 100 sailors had survived the sinking of the Juneau. The majority of the crew went down with the Juneau. Those that survived, were left to fend for themselves in the open ocean for eight days before rescue aircraft belatedly arrived. While awaiting rescue, all but 10 died from the elements and shark attacks, including the five Sullivan brothers.

MMC Victor Harold Abbott was declared missing on 13 Nov, 1942. His name appears on the Tablets of the Missing in the Manila American Cemetery. He is the recipient of the Purple Heart Medal.

Bio by: Rick Ervin

Gravesite Details Entered the service from Washington.





  • Created by: CWGC/ABMC
  • Added: 8 Aug 2010
  • Find A Grave Memorial 56780800
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for MMC Victor Harold Abbott (1919–13 Nov 1942), Find A Grave Memorial no. 56780800, citing Manila American Cemetery and Memorial, Manila, Metro Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines ; Maintained by CWGC/ABMC (contributor 6) .