LtCdr Thomas Worth Marshall Jr.


LtCdr Thomas Worth Marshall Jr.

District of Columbia, USA
Death 28 Feb 1942 (aged 35)
At Sea
Memorial Site* Manhattan, New York County (Manhattan), New York, USA

* A structure erected in honor of someone whose remains lie elsewhere.

Plot Tablets of the missing
Memorial ID 56122037 View Source
Suggest Edits

Lieutenant Commander, Thomas W. Marshall Jr. MIA/KIA
Hometown: District of Columbia
Service # 0-063370
Awards: Purple Heart, American Campaign Medal W/STAR, Navy Good Conduct Medal
Captain: Lt/Cdr. Hugh D. Black MIA/KIA

Mission: Anti Sub Patrol
Ship: USS Jacob Jones (DD 130)
Loss Date: 28-Feb-42
Location: 38.37N, 74.32W - Grid CA 5458 Off the coast of Delaware
Fate: Sunk by U-578 (Ernst-August Rehwinkel)
Complement: 149 officers and men (138 dead and 11 survivors).

On the morning of 27 Feb, 1942, USS Jacob Jones (DD 130) (LtCdr Hugh D. Black) departed New York alone to patrol and search the area between Barnegat Light and Five Fathoms Bank. She then received orders to concentrate her patrol activity in waters off Cape May and the Delaware Capes. In the afternoon, the destroyer spotted the burning wreckage of the R.P. Resor, which had been torpedoed by U-578 the same day. The destroyer circled the tanker for two hours, searching for survivors before resuming her southward course.

At 10.57 hours on 28 February, USS Jacob Jones was hit by two torpedoes from U-578, while proceeding completely blacked out at 15 knots. The first torpedo struck on the port side just aft of the bridge and ignited the ship´s magazine. The explosion completely destroyed the bridge, the chart room and the officer´s and petty officer´s quarters. As the ship stopped, the second torpedo struck on the port side about 40 feet forward of the fantail and carried away the after part of the ship above the keel plates and shafts and destroyed the after crew´s quarters. The ship remained afloat for 45 minutes, allowing about 30 survivors to abandon ship on four or five rafts. But as the stern sank, the unsecured depth charges exploded, killing several survivors on a nearby raft. Some hours later, an US Army observation plane sighted the life rafts and reported their position to USS PE-56 on Inshore Patrol. The patrol craft was forced to abandon her search after three hours, due to strong winds and rising seas. She had picked up twelve survivors, but one of them died en route to Cape May. The search for survivors continued for two days but was fruitless.

Richard Dors USN
Louis F. Hollenbeck USN
Rudolph F. Jacobsen USN
John W. Merger JR
Albert E. Oberg USN
George E. Pantall USN
Woodrow A Roussell
Adolph R Strom
John S. Struthers
Joseph Paul Tidwell USN

Personnel MIA/KIA with USS Jacob Jones Click here

Gravesite Details

Entered the service from DC.

Family Members


In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees

Sponsored by Ancestry