General Joseph "Lukie" Davis was the son of Lewis "Luke" Davis (1837-1887, Civil War Veteran, buried at Oak Forest Cemetery in Blount County, Alabama) and Mary Hayden Culwell Davis (1842-1932, buried at High Rock Cemetery).
Lukie married (1) Talitha Curl Davis, daughter of John Lewis Curl and Talitha Ware Self Curl. They had one daughter as followed:
1. Mary Delitha Davis Standridge (1883-1970, married George Standridge from Lawrence County, Alabama.)
Shortly after Mary was born, Talitha passed away. Afterwards, Lukie married (2) Martha Thomas Speight Davis daughter of Thomas Dillard Speight and Jane C. Waddell Speight Shaddrix. Their children were as follows:
1. Lewis Thomas Davis (1891-1986, buried at High Rock Cemetery, married (1) Sarah L. McClellan (2) Nellie Mae Jett).
2. William Robert E. Lee Davis (1894-1983, buried at Shoal Creek Baptist Church, married Clara Lively).
3. Isaac Marion Davis (1897-1974, married Susie Valine Dutton).
4. General Dewey Davis (1900-1989, buried at Valhermoso Springs Holiness Church Cemetery, married Zoney Rose Brown).
5. Pearl Davis Morgan (1904-1995, married John R. Morgan).
6. Joseph Carter Davis (1907-1992, married Esther Lucille Lyle).
The date of birth shown on Lukie's headstone is an error as the date was before his parent's marriage and census records all show that Lukie was the 2nd born son and not the oldest. Alt. Date of Birth, Dec. 1862, is shown on the 1900 US Census and is believed to be more accurate.
Sponsored by Ancestry