The last of nine children born to John C & Ester (Terry) Burris of VA, later of Liberty Twp, Highland Co OH, Bowater married:
1) Tabitha Sumner on 24 Jun 1809; she died Oct 1834.
2) Bedy [most likely Betty] Fowler on 24 May 1835 in Morgan Co IN.
Children with Tabitha:
1) Rachel Elvira Burris (1813-1888), m: John Strange Bryant.
2) Margaret Burris (1815-1903); m1: William Collins, m2. Lawrence Bradley.
3) Hester Ann Burris (1816-1889), m1: John Mosier, m2: Joseph Lane, m3: George W Moore.
4) Mary Ann Burris (c1819-bef 1857); m: Jackson Jordan.
5) Caleb Burris (1822-1891), m: Nancy E Richardson.
6) Martin Burris (b. c1825)
7) John Burris (1827-1866)
Bowater had no known children with second wife Bedy/Betty.
Mooresville Indiana Public Library, Death Record:
"Last Name: Burris
First Name: Bowater
Date of Death: 03/05/1841
Spouse: 1) Tabitha/Phoebe Sumner; 2) Bedy Fowler
Other: Age 57. Born Mar 13, 1784 in Surry Co, NC; son of John C and Esther Terry Burris, both natives of NC. Married twice: to Tabitha/Phoebe Sumner and Bedy Fowler. Father of Rachel Burris.
Cemetery: White Lick
Source Information: Cemetery index"
Bowater's parents were Quakers. In 1805, at age 21 years, Bowater was disowned and removed. This indicates he made the decision to leave the faith. Three years later he married Tabitha, a Quaker. She was disowned for marrying out of unity, but was later reinstated.
Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Pg 961:
"1805, 11, 23. Bowater dis. (rem)."
Bowater is my 3rd paternal Gr-Grandfather. Many thanks to Julie for the tombstone picture.
Tabitha Sumner Burris
1789–1834 (m. 1809)