Son Of Rev. John Cross and Margaret Hanna, born in Neburgh, Orange Co., NY. Married Hannah Benedict Sept. 18, 1836, Nassau, Rensselaer Co., NY.
Robert J Cross Time Line -
* Birth - 1 October 1803 in Newburgh, Orange Co., New York, the son of John Cross and Margaret Hanna Cross.
* 1824 May, he purchased 75 acres from William A. Peck, Ontario County Courthouse, Canandaigua, NY.
* 1825 June, in Tecumseh, MI, Robert J. Cross, entered four hundred acres of land on section eight.
* 1826 September, the last day of, came to Tecumseh to make it our home.
* 1826, During that fall and winter, we built our log cabin.
* 1830 in the autumn we bought land, and removed to Coldwater in Branch county.
* 1833 Township Treasurer, Coldwater, Branch, Michigan Territory
* 1835, June when he came to his present residence in Winnebago Co., Illinois, (where he continually resided until his death).
* 1835 First permanent Settler; Roscoe, Illinois
* 1836 Election Judge; Winnebago County, Illinois
* 1836 August, being a member of the election board for the first election ever held in Winnebago Co., IL.
* 1836, at their first meeting, He was elected by the County Commissioners, County Treasurer, which position he held for three years.
* 1836, Sept. 18 he married Miss Hannah Benedict, of Monroe Co., N. Y.
* 1841 April 13,. Winnebago County Agricultural Society was organized Robert J. Cross, vice-president.
* 1846, he was elected by the Whigs as a representative to the General Assembly for his county
* 1847, as the colleague of Hon. Selden M. Church, a delegate to revise the Constitution of the State.
* 1849 Sent letter to Congressman Abraham Lincoln of Illinois.
* 1862, he was an independent candidate for the position of delegate to the Convention to again revise the constitution but narrowly defeated.
* 1862 Elected as delegate of Constitutional convention; Springfield,
* 1869 he was unanimously nominated by the Republicans for member of the Convention that formed our present Illinois constitution. Later he was nominated by the Republicans and elected one of the three members from Winnebago and Boone Counties to the General Assembly.
* 1872 State Representative, Winnebago County, Illinois
* 1873 15 Feb Death Typhoid Fever per newspaper item; Roscoe, Winnebago, Illinois
* 1873 18 Feb Newspaper item at home sick with Typhoid Fever and death at home
* 1873 21 Feb Newspaper description of Illinois Senate regarding death of Robert J Cross; Springfield, Illinois
* Chairman of the Board of Supervisors several years, occupying that position at the time of his death.
* 1873 Feb 15 date of death.
Robert and Hannah had five Children:
John CROSS, born 2 Nov 1837 Roscoe, Winnebago Co., IL, "born in the large log house, built on the bank of Rock River on R J Cross farm", and died 22 Jul 1917 in Iowa. He was married to Sarah Louisa PELTON 12 Oct 1856.Sarah was born 4 June 1836 and died 18 June 1895 in Iowa.
Margaret Louise CROSS, born 21 Apr 1839 in Roscoe, "born in the large log house, built on the bank of Rock River on R J Cross farm", and died 18 Oct 1918 in Chicago, Cook, IL. she married James M. MCAFFEE (m 22 Mar 1866).
William Hanna CROSS, Rev. Born 22 Jul 1842 "in the large log house, built on the bank of Rock River on R J Cross farm".
He graduated with honors from Chicago Theologican Seminary.
Was pastor of Tomah, WIsc. Congregational Church, Hollister California Congregational and 20 years at Saratoga Congregational near San Jose.
He died 2 Jun 1912 in Berkeley, Calif.
He married: Ellen GOODRICH 19 May 1870 in Platteville, Wisconsin.
Mary Antoinette CROSS born 25 Sep 1849, "born in the village of Roscoe", Winnebago Co., IL She died 1 Sep 1851 in Roscoe, Winnebago Co., IL.
Lewis B. CROSS born 31 Oct 1851 "in Roscoe village"(4), Winnebago Co., IL Died 5 Apr 1931 in Wood River, Hall, Neb. He married Lydia BOONE (m 19 Mar 1873).
Robert J. Cross