The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Amy Tryphena <I>Davis</I> Barton

Amy Tryphena Davis Barton

Payson, Utah County, Utah, USA
Death 28 May 1933 (aged 57)
Myton, Duchesne County, Utah, USA
Burial Myton, Duchesne County, Utah, USA
Plot A3.5_14_5
Memorial ID 46730 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Romans 16:12, "Behold Tryphena & Tryphosa who labor unto the lord."

'Tryphena ' is of Greek origin meaning 'dainty' or delicate'.

AMY T. DAVIS (BARTON) by unknown author

[Note from Sandra Barton Gwilliam: I do not know who wrote this history, but as I was researching the spelling on her middle name, I found almost no sources for her name with anything other than the initial "T." We have chosen to spell it Tryphena like it is spelled in the scripture above. Other spellings could have included Tryphema, Triphema, Triphenia, Tryphemia or Triphemia. Varied spellings of names were extremely common-- especially before 1900.]

Amy Tryphena Davis was born of goodly parents--Alexander George Davis and Emily Frances Oliver (Davis) on October 30, 1875 on a Saturday in Monroe, Utah. She came from a large family with nine children and close family ties. During her early years, her father moved his family to Circleville where Amy grew up.

Amy was a very modest and quiet woman--somewhat reserved. Her father didn't seem to have good health. He died early, leaving the rearing of the children to Emily. There wasn't much a woman could do to make a living, but she reared a fine family, giving them as many opportunities as was possible for an education.

Amy left home to marry Levi Lorenzo Barton at the age of seventeen and one half. Amy was a good cook, having been taught at an early age the basics of cooking, sewing and how to manage a home. She made delicious custard pudding and pies, not to mention the very tasty jelly and cream tarts.

Amy was a beautiful woman--lovely dark hair with natural curl; dark brows and eyes; rosy cheeks and fair skin; and charming smile.

Her son Arlo, told of a humorous incident in her life. Her husband Levi and she had stopped in a store somewhere in Richfield or Salt Lake City. Grandma spied some scales she could step onto and get weighed. By putting a coin into the little slot at the top of the scales, it would tell your weight and also issue a little slip of paper telling your fortune. Grandma played it. Her fortune-- "Never cut towards you when using a sharp knife." Levi teased her considerably about this.

Grandma Amy never had the opportunity of being baptized at the age of eight years. Somewhere her people had gotten away from the church before coming to Circleville. She was baptized along with her three oldest sons, Leo, Owen, and Claude on September 1, 1911--all on the same day. Ada, her daughter was nine years old, but because of her fright of water, she wasn't baptized until August 6, 1912.

When the weather was pleasant, Amy loved to walk down the boardwalk leading from the front porch of her home to the picket gate near the street. Here she leaned against the picket gate patiently waiting for signs of her husband and sons coming up the lane from East Valley. When they finally arrived, it was a special pleasure to walk down and open the corral gate and let the team wagon and menfolks into the corral yard. Horse unhitched, watered and fed, menfolk washed up, the table would be spread for supper.

Amy's first five children were born in Circleville, Piute County, Utah. Two girls and three boys--Delila, Leo, Owen, Claude, and Ada. Arlo, her youngest, was born in Tropic, Garfield County, where they had moved when Ada was around 5 or 6 years old.

Amy was over two months pregnant with Arlo when she was baptized. Soon after Arlo was born, Amy began having convulsions due to high blood pressure and a kidney condition. They feared for her life. Doctors didn't know what to do for those conditions then. I'm sure at this time everyone was praying for Amy. Her husband was very upset. He kept pleading with her not to have another convulsion. The love and concern of her family brought her through this hour of possible death. She never seemed to regain a full measure of good health after this experience.

Arlo and his mother were good pals. When he was in his early teens, money was very scarce. Every now and then, Amy sold a pound of her sweet churned butter for 35 cents. Arlo was given the money for a ticket. He remembered the sacrifice and was very grateful to his mother for her love and thoughtfulness.

Amy looked forward to the time when her mother, Emily Frances Davis, came to visit from Circleville. These times weren't often because of poor roads. Summertime was the only safe time to travel over mountain roads. Cars didn't have heaters and were not winterized. I can remember passing by the Barton home and seeing, seated on the font porch, Amy and her mother. Grandma Davis was a small woman as I remember her. Grandma Amy's family were dear to her, and she looked forward to their visits.

Amy spent some of her summers over on the farm in East Valley, where Levi had built a large cabin. She enjoyed being there with her husband and sons to cook their meals and help. Tropic town was only two miles away, and there were families living on farms nearby. Grandpa's farm took in most of the original town of Loseeville. Some of the log houses were still standing, which he used for barns to store hay.

Amy, by this time, was beginning to show a decline in health, which had never been good since Arlo's birth. Soon she had to seek medical help. She could no more enjoy the activities on the farm. Housework was left entirely up to her daughter, Ada. Her husband, Levi, took her to doctors and places trying to regain her health again. He took her to LaVerkin in Washington County to spend the winter where she could bathe in the Hot Sulphur Springs on the banks of the Rio Virgin. They rented a little house and took Arlo with them. He was in the 8th grade in LaVerkin School that winter. It was thought possibly that the Hot Sulphur Water would help to relieve some of the water build-up in the tissues of Amy's body and maybe help her kidney functions as well. The help was only temporary.

Returning to Tropic the next spring, her husband took her to other doctors. She spent some time in Myton, Utah, where they sought medical help. Her heart and kidneys were slowly deteriorating and were not performing their functions. The high blood pressure was winning the battle, as Amy was slowly losing it. She began to bloat with water. They called it "Dropsy". Levi spent a small fortune in his attempt to find some help or even a hope for a possible cure for her.

Arlo recalls the last winter she lived. Heat was necessary in the house because of extremely cold weather. Oxygen and oxygen tents and tanks were unheard of in the small rural communities. Grandma's breathing became difficult because of the lack of oxygen normally present in the air, but was being used up by the heat generated by the little wood stove. It became necessary for someone to sit by Amy's bedside and wield a hand operated fan to keep cool air going into her lungs.

"Many times", Arlo said, "I would grow so weary and sleepy and start nodding and my hand would stop waving the fan back and forth."

His mother would reach over quietly and gently rouse him and say with a little gasp, "Arlo, the fan."

Amy's sister, Dora and her husband, Van Fullmer, from a farm near Myton, came down early in May, taking Amy back with them so she could be near a doctor. Dora was a practical nurse. One morning, Amy had eaten her breakfast, having been to the doctor several days before and still feeling shaky, turned to her sister and said, "Dora, I believe I will go in and lie down in my bedroom."

Dora turned and said, "All right, as soon as I have finished the breakfast work I will come in and give you a bath and clean up your bedroom." Later when Dora went in to check on Amy, she found Amy's suffering over with. Dora figured she died as soon as her head rested on the pillow about 9:10 a.m., Sunday, May 28, 1933.
Utah Death Certificate:
Name: Amy Barton
Informant: Glenn Eugene Fullmer, Roosevelt, Utah
Death date: 28 May 1933 at 9:10 AM
Death place: Myton, Duchesne, Utah
Date of burial: 30 May 1933
Place of burial: Myton, Duchesne, Utah
Birth date: 30 Oct 1875
Birth place: Payson, Utah
Age at death: 58 years 7 months 28 days
Cause of death: Myocarditis
Did an operation precede death?: [hard to read] parac___(?) abd
Autopsy: no
What test confirmed diagnosis: ordinary
Doctor wrote that he treated her from May 7 to May 28 and last saw her alive on May 24, 1933
Gender: Female
Marital status: Married
Race or color: White
Occupation: Housewife
Spouse name: Levi Lorenzo Barton
Father name: Alexander Davis
Father Birth place: New Castle Canada
Mother name: Frances Oliver
Mother's place of birth: Illinois

Family Members

Gravesite Details Thanks to Blaine & Elaine Berger for helping to maintain this memorial and others in the Myton Cemetery.