The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Olena <I>Hoth</I> Weyerman

Photo added by Dora Jorgensen

Olena Hoth Weyerman

  • Birth 4 Aug 1874 Providence, Cache County, Utah, USA
  • Death 28 Mar 1962 Magna, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
  • Burial Logan, Cache County, Utah, USA
  • Memorial ID 46652736

My Life History written by Olena Hoth Weyerman
I, Olena Hoth, was born in Providence, Cache County, Utah on Aug 4, 1874. My parents were Charles Augustus Fredrick Hoth (He was known by Carl) and Anna Barbara Berger Hoth. My father was born and came to America with his parents in 1855. He was born in Schlesvig, Germany. They had accepted the Gospel in their homeland and came to Salt Lake City with a group of Latter-day Saints, as Mormon Pioneers.
Father was a faithful member of the Church, doing what ever he was called upon to do. He was called to make several return trips to Missouri with ox team for other Saints.
My father first married a woman by the name of Barbara Wilhelmina Wintch 2 Dec 1865. They had one child, a daughter Anna Wilhelmina Hoth. Barbara was left an invalid after the birth of her child, and lived but a few years. After her death my father married Anna Barbara Berger, my mother. Mother had a daughter Emma in Switzerland before she married my father. Mother and Father were married 5 June 1873 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. They made there first home in Providence, Utah. Soon after I was born my father was called to St. George to assist in build the Temple there. My father was a carpenter and cabinet-maker and a skilled worker in fine woodwork. (His name can be found upon the records of those who labored there.) We lived in St. George until the Temple was completed, then moved to Bunkerville, Nevada. Here my father did carpentry work, building houses and all kinds of fine furniture as well as others odd jobs to make a living.
I have only a child's remembrance of my father because he died before I turned five years old. I remember that I sat on his my father's lap while he drove the horses to the cemetery in Santa Clara, Utah, to bury my little brother Ludwig who was seven moths old. We had the casket in our wagon. Mother couldn't go because the other little twin, Leopold, was too sick.
Another experience I remember of my father was that I went with the older children to pick cotton one day. A man with a wagon gathered us all in the morning. We took our lunch for noon. No one could come back till evening. During the noon hour and after lunch I went to sleep in the shade of the wagon and when I awoke there was no one to be seen. Thinking they had gone home without me I started walking toward home. I followed the road. It divided and I took the wrong track, and leaving the road I cut through the fields. The field was swampy but I though I could go through anyway. I kept going until I got stuck in the mud and could not pull my feet up anymore. I cried until a man on a load of sugar cane heard me and followed the cry into the bulrushes till he found me.
My father was cook at the molasses mill and when the man that found me asked him if he knew whose child that was. He wanted to know where he had found me and all about it. I went home with my father that night.
About a year after my father died we moved to Logan, Utah in a wagon. My uncle Fred Buetler, came for us. The two weeks of the return trip we children walked much of the way, gathering wild flowers. When we came to streams too deep to wade or jump we were called to the wagon. After going through the water we got off again.
Mother and father were blessed with four children, myself, twin boys Leopold and Ludwig and Bertha. Bertha was seven months old when father died, leaving the family with little finance to carry on. Mother worked hard to make a living for our family.
I started school that winter. After attending school for three years I began working for other people making my own way. I have seen many times that our Father in Heaven is a husband to the widow and a father to the fatherless. Without the faith and trust that we had in Him it seems impossible for us to have lived.
After I was thirteen years old I was away from home working winter and summer till I was almost twenty years old. On the 4th of July 1894, just a month short of being twenty, I went to a girl friend's home to a party. After the celebration was over, as many of the relatives were from Bear Lake, I asked if I could go with them to Bear Lake to see my cousin Maggie Eshler, I went, but she was not home.
A boy friend I had met on the trip to Bear Lake found a job for me in a nearby farmhouse as a kitchen helper. He came to see me often and on the 1st of August, 1894, Gottfried Weyerman and I were married by the Ward Bishop before we started our trip to go to the Temple to be sealed there.
We found jobs as cook's helpers, farmhands, etc., living the life of hardworking people.
When I had four children my husband was called on a mission to Switzerland. I took in washings and did sewing for Sister John A. Wistoe to support my and family. I also took care of my husband's mother Anna Elizabeth Reber Weyerman , the last nine months of her life. She was very ill with dropsy.
Our lives have been blessed with fifteen children and much toil and sorrow. We have tried to be honest in our dealings and pay our debts before they are due.
In 1919 our two-year-old grandson, Wallace, came to live with us, his parents having separated.
In the flu epidemic of 1920 my husband's brother Jacob's wife died leaving a son, Donald, 8 years old and a daughter, Martha, 10 years old. They came to live with us for a few years.
By 1925 mother, Anna Barbara Berger Hoth, who had been living with my brother Leopold and his wife Augusta and family, came to live with us.
In 1926 we all moved to Delta, Utah. In 1934, eight years later, we moved back to Logan again.
My husband died in an accident 9th March 1935.
On November 14, 1955 I had a paralytic stroke that affected my left side. My children cared for me.
(Olena Hoth Weyerman died 29 March 1962 after seven years of suffering.
She was living with her daughter Clara Anderson in Magna, Utah, when she died.)
Survivors: five daughters; son; Mrs. Gideon L. (Anna) Bowen, Collinston, Box Elder County; Mrs. Joseph W.( Clara) Anderson, Magna; Mrs. Ida Hawkes, Providence; Fred Weyerman, Weston, Idaho; Mrs. Laurene Johnson, Provo; Mrs. Frank (Rhoda) Thurston, Hyde Park, Utah; 57 grandchildren; 95 great-grandchildren; one great-great-grandchild. Funeral Satruday noon, Logan Fifth LDS Ward Chapel, 502 E. 3rd North, Logan, where friends call Saturday,
9 a.m., until time of services. Burial, Logan City Cemetery.

Family Members


See more Weyerman memorials in:





  • Created by: Dora Jorgensen
  • Added: 13 Jan 2010
  • Find A Grave Memorial 46652736
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Olena Hoth Weyerman (4 Aug 1874–28 Mar 1962), Find A Grave Memorial no. 46652736, citing Logan City Cemetery, Logan, Cache County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by Dora Jorgensen (contributor 47225664) .