LTC Maynard Conrad Schultz

LTC Maynard Conrad Schultz

Oregon, USA
Death 16 Jun 1944 (aged 30)
Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands
Burial Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii, USA
Plot Section N, Site 1431
Memorial ID 45030862 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Maynard Shultz was born in Oregon in 1913. He attended Oregon State College, where he lettered in football, and graduated in 1936 with a degree in education.

Schultz was appointed an officer candidate in the Marine Corps on July 1, 1936. He joined up with the Student Basic School at League Island, Pennsylvania. With instructors like Major Harry Liversedge - already known for his Bronze Medal in shot put at the 1920 Olympics, soon to be known as "Harry The Horse," commander of the 28th Marines on Iwo Jima, and future Brigadier General and director of the Marine Corps Reserve - and "the Marine's Marine," then-captain Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, freshly returned and freshly decorated for service in Nicaragua - Maynard Schultz received a first-class education in the duties of a Marine.

The course was intensive and lengthy; a far cry from the speedy instruction of officers after the outbreak of the war. Schultz remained a student at League Island until March, 1937, when he was sent to duty in San Diego, California. While several of his classmates were given the coveted "sea duty" aboard fleet battleships and cruisers, Schultz became a company-grade officer with First Battalion, Sixth Marines. He received his long-awaited commission to Second Lieutenant on May 1, 1937.

Second Lieutenant Schultz spent several months with First Battalion of the Sixth Marines. He served as a platoon leader, PX coordinator, and took instruction with the 2nd Chemical Company, before boarding the USS Chaumont and sailing for Shanghai. Schultz was posted to Company C, Sixth Marines, in Shanghai.

The climate in China seems to have disagreed with Maynard Schultz; he spent nearly a month in the battalion hospital late in 1937. He was recovered in time to resume duties by January, 1938, and by February was on his way to Guam with the rest of his company. Schultz would spend the balance of 1938 posted to San Diego, leading Second Platoon of Company C.

Schultz was transferred to the Fourth Marines on May 24, 1939. While in transit, he received a promotion to First Lieutenant - a welcome piece of news in a very long trip; he was delayed several times en route and did not arrive at his new post with F Company, Fourth Marines, until August 7, 1939. He would remain in China with the Fourth Marines - eventually landing in the Service Company - until December, 1940.

Three years later, Major Maynard Schultz was serving as Battalion Executive Officer of the First Battalion, 24th Marines.

He landed with the battalion on Namur, February 1, 1944, and was thrust into command the following day, when Lieutenant Colonel Aquilla Dyess was killed by a Japanese machine gun. Schultz, who by this point was carrying the nickname "Heinie" for reasons unknown, flourished under the new responsibility, and was soon promoted to Lieutenant Colonel.

Schultz participated in the battle of Saipan for only one day. Captain Frederic Stott, a member of the battalion staff, recalled the commander's last moments:

Lt. Col. Schultz of San Diego, the battalion commander and a fearless bull of a man, yet subtle in his powers of understanding, Captain Gene Mundy (the operations officer) from Northwestern and Mt. Carmel, Illinois, and I set out for a regimental command post shortly after daybreak. Our walk back showed that in our sector we held a beach head at least 1,000 yards deep, that several batteries of artillery were established, and that we were definitely down in the flat with poor observation, while the Japanese retained altitude, observation, and weapons.

The C.P. was located in a clump of trees, and nearby artillery plus movement in and out of the C.P. must have indicated a profitable target. For we were soon hugging the ground throughout a bombardment the equal of anything undergone the previous day or night. Cover was scarce, several casualties were suffered, but the conference of battalion commanders continued in a dugout. Lt. Col. Schultz neglected to take cover and despite the severity of the shelling he remained atop the hole. It was a deadly position as a close round sent a piece of shrapnel into his head, and he died in a matter of seconds.

His death stripped the Battalion of its most-needed man, for good battalion commanders are practically indispensable. All three companies were well-led and well-officered, but the coordinating person was now gone. Hence the real job of running the battalion devolved upon Mundy, with what aid Captain Webster (the Intelligence officer) and I could furnish him. He responded magnificently, and was the man chiefly responsible for knitting together the splendidly functioning companies with the staff and the succeeding commanding officers, Lt. Col. Brunelli and Lt. Col. Lessing. Throughout the battle the unit functioned as efficiently as we had anticipated.

- Frederic Stott, "Saipan Under Fire"

On the battalion muster rolls, Maynard Schultz was listed as having died of "shrapnel wounds of head and chest." Captain Irving Schechter of Able Company corroborates this in a 1982 interview:

He took a piece of shrapnel in his head. It was a small sliver so it had to hit him in just the right spot to kill him.

- Irving Schechter, quoted in Henry Berry's "Semper Fi, Mac"

Sergeant Edward F. Ruder, a combat correspondent, recorded his impression of the action in a press dispatch:

"Enemy mortars are turning the battlefield into jagged rows of pits and craters. From the air it must look like a beehive with Marines swarming in and out. The Marines are being hit hard, but not one of them has turned back.

A barrage of mortar fire hit dead into their lines. Someone called out, "Which way?"

"Lieutenant Colonel Maynard C. Schultz, 30, of 224 N. 26th S., Corvallis, Oregon, shouted back, "There's only one way; the hell with those mortars!"

"The colonel's Marines drove straight ahead. Shell after shell met their push. As the dust lifted after a shell hit, his outfit could still be seen moving ahead, without him. Lieutenant Colonel Schultz was killed by a shell in the last barrage.

"Not one Marine has since given up an inch of ground. And least of all, not one amongst them has asked, "Which way?"

Maynard Schultz was awarded the Legion of Merit and the Purple Heart.

  • Created by: Geoffrey Roecker
  • Added: 2 Dec 2009
  • Find a Grave Memorial 45030862
  • SigEp Patriots Project
  • Find a Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for LTC Maynard Conrad Schultz (20 Sep 1913–16 Jun 1944), Find a Grave Memorial no. 45030862, citing National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii, USA ; Maintained by Geoffrey Roecker (contributor 47006169) .