Ann <I>Redford</I> Haslam

Ann Redford Haslam

Death 8 Feb 1926 (aged 79)
Wellsville, Cache County, Utah, USA
Burial Wellsville, Cache County, Utah, USA
Memorial ID 39855460 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Married 5 Apr 1869 in the Endowment House at Salt Lake City to James Halt Haslam.

We kept a small green grocery. After father came to America, we were unable to get enough money to run it. The early part of my life, while in England, was spent working in the factory. At age twenty-one I came to America with John Hilton, his wife and two children. They were to pay my fare if I would help with the children. Mother thought it a fine chance for me to come to America. It was a sad parting for me, leaving my mother and two brothers in England. Instead of Mr. Hilton coming on to Utah as he intended, he stayed in New York, being persuaded by a man he had met on the boat who was going to Philadelphia to work in a coal mine. He said nothing of this to his wife, and on landing in New York, left us. We slept one night in the depot then were sent to the "poor house" where we stayed for two weeks. We had to sleep on hard benches and our meals consisted of water and dry bread. Hilton finally came back for us, telling me he had a job for me working for Mrs. Sage, a Catholic lady, living at Pittsburg. You can imagine how glad was at the thought or leaving the "poor house". Mr. Hilton would not give me my trunk so had to go without it. He went to the coal mines where I learned afterward, he was killed. Later, his wife got up a subscription for money, saying she wanted to go on to Utah. She used the money instead to go back to England where she told a good many untrue things about the Mormons.

While living with Mrs. Sage, I was earning six dollars a month. I stayed eight months, lacking two days. While here, mother sent a letter saying they were coming to America on a sailing vessel. I did not get the letter. A lady friend and myself paid a man fifty cents to row us out on a ferry boat. I was very much surprised, when mother and brothers, Abraham and Robert, called to me from the ship, asking me if I was not going with them to Utah, being so surprised I did not know what to say but told them I guessed not I didn't think I could get my money from Mrs. Sage. Mother came with me to the immigration office kept by Brother Staines. He asked my name and looking over his books found my brothers, John and Joseph, had sent money from Utah to help us across the Plains. Brother Staines asked me if I could be ready in two days. I went back to Mrs. Sage's home and asked if I could get my money. She was so angry at me for leaving she held back one month's pay. I felt very bad as I had been very careful to save every penny I could to help us across the plains. As I left I told her I would write to her when I got to Utah. She said to never mind she didn't want anything to do with the Mormons.

All the young people had to walk across the plains. The older ones had the privilege of riding part of the way. We had some very happy times and some very sad times on our journey. While fording the Green River a son of a widow was drowned. The Company waited for some time thinking the body would be found. It wasn't, so we finally had to go on. The poor mother was heartbroken.

John B. Hill and Richard Williams were called from Wellsville to Laramie. We were passengers in the Richard Williams wagon from Laramie to Wellsville in Captain Loveland's Mule train consisting of forty wagons and about four hundred passengers. While on the way, my brother, John was sent with a load of flour to our train from Simpson Molen's train, as our supply was getting low. We arrived at Salt Lake City 20 Aug 1868 and at Wellsville 23 Aug 1868. Upon arrival we learned my father had been dead for three years, having died the same year my brother Ephraim had died in England.

Ann and her husband made their home at Wellsville raising their family. Her life was not an easy one as she was the second wife in polygamy and was not blessed with many of the material things of life. She was a quiet person, always careful not to hurt anyone's feelings. She loved to read and study the gospel, enjoying someone to come in and converse on church teachings. She had a cheerful personality, loving life and people. She was "Aunt Ann" to every one. One of the highlights of her later life was attending the dedication of the Alberta Temple; also visiting her two sons and a daughter who lived there. She made her home in Wellsville until the last two years of her life which she spent with her daughter, Florence and family, at Weiser, Idaho, where she passed away after suffering a stroke shortly before she was eighty years of age. She was taken to Wellsville for burial.

Ann and James had the following children:
John Ephraim Redford, Mary, Robert Redford, Samuel Redford, Lettice Ann Redford, Richard Redford, Emily, Florence Redford, Maude Redford, and Briar Redford Haslam.

Sponsored by Ancestry



  • Created by: Jess Brown
  • Added: 25 Jul 2009
  • Find a Grave Memorial 39855460
  • Find a Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Ann Redford Haslam (27 May 1846–8 Feb 1926), Find a Grave Memorial no. 39855460, citing Wellsville Cemetery, Wellsville, Cache County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by Jess Brown (contributor 47138782) .