Henry Ernest Wylde

Henry Ernest Wylde

Claverdon, Stratford-on-Avon District, Warwickshire, England
Death 29 Apr 1881 (aged 49)
Clarkstown, Rockland County, New York, USA
Burial New City, Rockland County, New York, USA
Plot Eastern Old Cemetery - Lot Number 4 - Grave 6 ~ Contributed by Carole Nurmi Cummings
Memorial ID 39290548 · View Source
Suggest Edits

A Line of Aristocracy Runs In This Family:

Henry's third great grandfather was the Second Viscount of Rathcoole Robert Tracy of Toddington Hall in Gloucestershire.

His second great grandfather, Thomas Wylde, was a descendant of the Wylde Family from the Commandery in Worcester and was an active Member of Parliament.

Another second great grandfather, Charles Dowdeswell, was also a Member or Parliament for Twekesbury.

Henry married Elizabeth Barrow whose grandfather was John Barrow, Magistrate of Wedmore, Somerset, England.

His father Reverend Robert Wylde and grandfather Reverend Charles Edmund Wylde were both Oxford educated.

He lost his father when he was only one year old. His mother was pregnant with her 10th Child where Reverend Robert Wylde died unexpectedly leaving her with a large family to support.

Though there had been 500 years of Oxford educated males, Henry, being the 9th child, had to find a path of support.

He became a Merchant. In 1867, he immigrated to the United States and bought a home in the early 1870s in New City, Rockland County, New York.

He was involved in a terrible train accident that impaired his health. Within eleven years of the accident, Henry died at a young age of 49.

Baptism: 27 April 1832

Place: St. Michael and All Angels
Claverdon, Warwickshire, England
Child's Christian Name: Henry Ernest Wylde
Parents Name: Robert and Caroline Georgiana Wylde
Abode: Claverdon
Profession of Father: Clerk [Clergy]
By Whom the Ceremony was Performed:
Robert Wylde, Vicar [Father of Child]

1856 Occupation: Ship Chandler and Commission Agent

Henry Wylde was a Ship Handler in the 1850s in Constantinople with another gentlman name Physica. I believe this Physica to be John Baptist Physica 1817-1880. As is evidenced by a letter sent to him by his future father-in-law, Charles Barrow on 10 February 1856, Henry was living in Constantinople, now Istanbul, Turkey, and working as a ship chandler and commission agent.

A ship chandler (or ship's chandler) is a retail dealer who specialises in supplies or equipment for ships, known as ship's stores.

For traditional sailing ships, items that could be found in a chandlery might include sail-cloth, rosin, turpentine, tar, pitch (resin), linseed oil, whale oil, tallow, lard, varnish, twine, rope and cordage, hemp, oakum, tools (hatchet, axe, hammer, chisel, planes, lantern, nail, spike, boat hook, caulking iron, hand pump, marlinspike), brooms, mops, galley supplies, leather goods, and paper. In the days of sail ship chandlers on remote islands, such as St. Helena, were responsible for delivering re-supplies of water and fresh produce (fruit and vegetables) to stave off scurvy.

The ship chandlery business was central to the existence and the social and political dynamics of ports and their waterfront areas.

Letter from Charles Barrow to Henry Ernest Wylde

The following was a letter sent from Charles Andrews Barrow 1811-1868 to Henry Ernest Wylde 1832-1881. The “Elisabeth” Charles referred to was his daughter, Elizabeth Barrow 1836-1911. In this letter that was dated 10 February 1856, Charles appears to be telling Henry that his offer of marriage to his daughter, though well respected, was initially not well received because his daughter did not want to live abroad. As he put it, “She has fully made up her mind not to live abroad.” Henry was a "ship chandler and commission maritime agent" in Constantinople [Istanbul, Turkey] at the time of his proposal to Elizabeth. He may have also disclosed his longing to settle in the United States. One can well imagine the granddaughter of the Magistrate of Wedmore, England, then living in London and Wedmore, England, not finding Constantinople or the United States too appealing. Charles, her father, was enlisted to send the “Dear John” letter.

However, in just over a year, Elizabeth had married Henry and by 1867, just 11 years after this letter was written, Elizabeth was on her way to the United States to settle. The couple settled in a little community known as “Moses Town” which is now New City, Rockland County, New York. Two of Henry and Elizabeth’s daughters moved back to England when they were in their 20’s. I often wondered what prompted the move since they were raised in the US. Once reading this letter, it became evident that Elizabeth never quite “took” to living in a remote area of New York and expressed her dismay to do so encouraging her daughters “to move back.”

On Outside of Envelope

Henry Ernest Wylde, Esq.
Messrs. Wright Physica & Co
Galata of
Via French Packets

Letter to Henry Ernest Wylde from Charles Barrow 1811-1868

Cornwall Terrace
See, Stout, Feby 10, 1856,

My dear Henry,

Your Mother tells me, that you have received no reply to your letter to Elisabeth. I am sorry for this, as I am extremely unwilling that you should have an impression that your communication was not treated with kindness and respect.

I assure you, I pondered over the contents of your letter, and having the interest of my dear child at heart, I felt the decision come to, as of serious import; for I felt, that of Providence should bless me, before I left this world, with the sight of my children’s happiness in the keeping of steady worthy man, I should be a happy man indeed.

I wrote you on the 9th December, & subjoined is, as near a copy, as possible of what I said & trusting there will be no irregularity in the receipt of this, I remain, Dear Henry, Yours most truly, Charles Barrow.

On my return from Wedmore yesterday, Elizabeth gave me your letter. She has fully made up her mind not to live abroad. It would therefore be superfluous to enlarge upon the subject, but she hopes you will not attribute to any unkind feeling on her part, but not replying to you herself, as I gave her my opinion that I thought it better for me to write you. Now by dear Henry, I have carefully read your letter. Your sentiments show a good head, and heart, and I feel confident that the happiness of any young woman ____ to be your wife, would be safe in your keeping.

I consider the offer of a worthy man’s hand to a female, the highest compliment he can pay her, and we regard your offer in that light. – We all wish you every success, and shall always take an interest in your welfare. Believe me Dear Henry with kind regards in which all join.

1861 English Census - Essex County

Civil Parish: Walthamstow - Ecclesiastical Parish: St. James
Henry Ernest Wylde and Elizabeth Barrow Family
Address: Cambridge Road

Henry E Wylde, Head, Married, 28, Commission Agent, Born: Warwickshire Claverdon
Elizabeth Wylde, Wife, Married, 25, Born: Middlesex Hackney
Sophia F A Wylde, Daughter, 3, Born: Turkey British Subject
Elizabeth B Wylde, Daughter, 1, Born: Essex Fryerning
Caroline A Wylde, Daughter, 4 Months, Born: Essex Walthamstow
Maria Oakshott, Unmarried, 18, General Servant, Hampshire Bishops Waltham

Relocated from Hudson County, New Jersey [Residence in the 1870 Census] to Clarkstown [New City, New York] in the 1870s

Real Estate Transaction:

In March 1912 Sophia F. A. Wylde and Caroline A. Wylde of Radlett, England; Cecilia Washburn of Suffern, and James Smith Haring III (unmarried) of Clarkstown, parties of the first part, sold to C. Frederica Wylde, 344 East 9th Street, Manhattan, and Edith E. Wylde, E. Marianne Wylde and Robert H. J. Wylde, all of Clarkstown, parties of the second part -land adjacent to people named Clark - six acres in Clarkstown. This was property that Henry Wylde bought from Stephen and Ellen Drew in 1870.

Terrible Train Incident Causing Injury to Herny E. Wylde


In January, 1870 Mr. Henry Wylde, of Nanuet, who business was in New York city, took the morning express train on the Northern Railroad of New Jersey for Jersey City.

Mr. W. was in the smoking care. As the train was entering the depot at Jersey City, M. W. rose from his seat to button up his overcoat and make his preparations to ‘leave the car'.

Owning to some mismanagement on the part of the brakeman, or some defect in the brakes, the train was not stopped as usual but was run against, and brought up by, the bumper at the end of the track with such violence as to throw Mr. W., and several other passengers who had also risen, down upon the floor of the car.

Mr. W. and several other passengers who had also risen, down upon the floor of the car. Mr. W. Fell over one of the stationary chairs in the center of the car, breaking two of his ribs and severely injuring his spine.

The result of that injury was to confine him to his house for several months; to incapacitate him from business; to cause him great pain and suffering, and to disable him in such a manner as to make it doubtful if he will ever recover his former health and strength.

Mr. Wylde then brought an action against the railroad company for his damages.

That action was tried at the Rockland Circuit in November last. The railroad company among other defences urged that they had nothing to do with the running of the train - that the road was under lease at the time to the Erie Company, and the Erie Company was the company to be sued and not the Northern.

On that trial the jury failed to agree, eleven of them it is understood being in favor of the plaintiff, and one for the defendant.

The plaintiff's attorney then obtained an order of the Court making the Erie Company also a party defendant, and the case again came on for trail at Rockland Circuit held Monday last.

The same defence was made by the Northern Railroad as upon the former trial; and it was also claimed on the part of both companies that it was the plaintiff's own fault that he was injured; that if he had not stood up until the train was stopped her would not have sustained any injury, and that his act in getting up before the train had fully stopped negligence contributing to the injury.

The plaintiff's counsel claimed that the defendant's companies ran the road jointly, and shred in the profits, and that this made both liable, irrespective of whose agents had charge of the train at the time of the injury; that on the question of contributing negligence, it was not negligence in Mr. Wylde, to stand up when he did; that a passenger had a right to stand up in a railroad car when in motion without incurring the charge of negligence, unless warned by the conductor or those in charge of the train that it was dangerous to do so; and that as no warning had been given to Mr. W. he had not been guilty of negligence.

The court instructed the jury that they were the judges under all the circumstances as to whether Mr. Wylde had been guilty of contributive negligence or not, and also as to whether both companies or either were liable.

The jury after being out a short time returned with a verdict in plaintiff's favor of fifteen thousand dollars against both companies.

We believe that, with two or three exceptions, this is among the largest of the verdicts ever obtained in the State against a railroad company for personal injuries.

Thos. B. Hall and C. P. Hoffman for plaintiff; Messrs. Abbott & Lewis for defendants.

~ Source -Rockland County Journal - 20 April 1872 - Page 4


• Sacred to the
• Memory of
• Henry E. Wylde
• Born April 27, 1832
• Died April 19, 1881

~ Contributed by Carole Elizbeth Nurmi Cummings - Henry Wylde's 2nd Great Granddaughter