Jeffrey James Weise

Jeffrey James Weise

Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota, USA
Death 21 Mar 2005 (aged 16)
Red Lake, Beltrami County, Minnesota, USA
Burial Unknown
Memorial ID 38888200 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Jeffrey James Weise was a Native American high school student who murdered nine people and injured five others in a shooting spree on March 21, 2005. Weise first murdered his grandfather and grandfather's companion at his home, and later killed five students, an unarmed security guard, and a teacher at Red Lake Senior High School in Red Lake, Minnesota. The shooting ended with Weise committing suicide.

Weise was avid on the Internet, leaving posts on websites such as, offering public insight into his thoughts and the hardships in his life that led to his depression and fascination with dark imagery in the months and years prior to the shooting.

Jeff Weise was a 16-year-old Ojibwa Native American who lived on the Red Lake reservation in north-central Minnesota with his paternal grandfather – Daryl Allen "Dash" Lussier, Sr.

His father, Daryl Allen "Baby Dash" Lussier, Jr., had committed suicide in July 1997 after a day-long police standoff on the Red Lake reservation. The senior Lussier had tried to intervene in the event, but failed to bring the standoff to a peaceful end. Jeff later moved with his mother to the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. Jeff's mother, Joanne Weise, was allegedly a violent alcoholic. She suffered severe brain damage in a 1999 alcohol-related car accident, and was forced to live in a nursing home in Minneapolis. At the time of the accident, Jeff was living with his mother and two aunts (Tammy Lussier and Shauna Leann Lussier), but was forced to return to the Red Lake reservation after the accident happened. Weise expressed frustration with being forced to live on the reservation, where he was considered an outsider by many there.

He attempted suicide in May 2004, describing his experience in a post made on the website Above Top Secret:

"I had went through a lot of things in my life that had driven me to a darker path than most choose to take. I split the flesh on my wrist with a box opener, painting the floor of my bedroom with blood I shouldn't have spilt. After sitting there for what seemed like hours (which apparently was only minutes), I had the revelation that this was not the path. It was my decision to seek medical treatment, as on the other hand I could have chose to sit there until enough blood drained from my downward lacerations on my wrists to die."

On March 21, 2005, Weise killed a total of nine people. He first killed 58-year-old Daryl Lussier, Weise's paternal grandfather, and Lussier's girlfriend, 31-year-old Michelle Leigh Sigana. Later he shot and killed seven people at Red Lake Senior High School, including one teacher and a security guard. Five other students were injured in the shooting. After briefly exchanging fire with police officers following the murders, Weise committed suicide.

The incident apparently began at home in the afternoon when Weise killed his grandfather and Sigana. Weise then drove his grandfather's patrol vehicle to the high school, propelling it into the building at around 2:45 p.m. CST. Wearing a reservation-police-issued bulletproof vest, likely taken from the stolen reservation police patrol vehicle, he shot a third victim, a security guard named Derrick Brun, immediately upon arriving at the school.

When the police first arrived, Weise briefly opened fire on them before proceeding into the building. Once in there, he was said to be "waving and smiling" as he shot students at random. An attempt to break into an English classroom was thwarted by a teacher who had taken the precaution of locking the door.

After finally being cornered in a classroom, Weise was believed to have exchanged fire with police officers and injured several of them. However, the police department stated that no officers had received any gunshot wounds. Weise then put the shotgun under his chin, and discharged a single round which killed him instantly. It was later discovered that Weise was shot twice, once in the leg and the other in his right arm, while exchanging gun fire with police.


See more Weise memorials in:

Sponsor and Remove Ads


  • Created by: King Raven
  • Added: 29 Jun 2009
  • Find a Grave Memorial 38888200
  • Find a Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Jeffrey James Weise (8 Aug 1988–21 Mar 2005), Find a Grave Memorial no. 38888200, ; Maintained by King Raven (contributor 47145563) Unknown.