The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 James William Huish, Jr

James William Huish, Jr

Frankford, Pike County, Missouri, USA
Death 10 Jun 1941 (aged 81)
Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, USA
Burial Provo, Utah County, Utah, USA
Plot Block 10 Lot 143
Memorial ID 32255443 · View Source
Suggest Edits

James William Huish Jr. was born at Frankfort, Missouri on May 11, 1860. He was the son of James William Huish Sr. and Helen Niblett, and was the eighth child and seventh son in a family of ten children. The children's names were as follows: Edward Alexander, Joseph Walter, Fanny, Orson Pratt, Franklin D., Lorenzo Snow, Heber (buried at sea), James William, Florette, and Frederick Augustus. His parents were emigrating from Blaenavon Wales, to Utah and stopped at Frankfort where the father was working as a blacksmith to secure money to continue the journey.

In May of 1861 the family started across the plains by ox team in the Job Pingress company. His mother, besides carrying out her duties as a wife and mother, helped the younger boys drive the loose stock, nursed her brother-in-law who had suffered a leg injury, and was unable to walk, and walked almost two-thirds of the journey carrying James William in a shawl tied around her waist.

In September the company arrived in Salt Lake City, and the Huish family moved immediately to Payson, Utah, arriving there on September 4. The father secured work at the local blacksmith shop and was able to provide for his family by this work. The children first attended Sunday School at the tithing hall over the old tithing office in Payson.

James attended school for the first time in 1872 at the Jimmie Reece private school house. (There were no public schools in Payson at that time.) Later he attended in a Ward School house. His education was pretty much limited to teaching him to read and write well, along with some other classes.

On April 14, 1881, he was married in the Endowment House to Mary Elizabeth Fillmore, daughter of Milan Lucian Fillmore and Elizabeth Sanborn. Returning by wagon from Salt Lake, James rented a farm from his brother-in-law, Norman Fillmore. The couple lived on the farm just East of Salem for one year and then moved to Payson and lived in the Old Huish Home. Here their first child, Carrie Ethel, was born March 1, 1882. For three or four years James worked at odd jobs around Payson and through his work was able to secure enough money to purchase a lot on or near where the Orem line goes through a cut coming into Payson. While living in Payson, four other children were born. William Lucian was born July 4, 1884; Mary Elma, November 2, 1886; Viva Florette, April 1, 1889; and Ivie Maude, March 9, 1891. For several years James worked in logging camps in Brigham Creek, Pleasant Valley, and Bear Lake. With this work he was able to save enough money to buy a farm near Spring Lake, and in 1892 the family moved there.

Frederick Elbert was born February 12, 1893. Due to an epidemic of "Chills and Fever" that yea r, the family moved to Burville in hopes that a higher altitude would check the disease. A daughter, LaVieve Fern, was born there on December 6, 1898. The family moved back to Payson in 1899, and here the mother operated a dressmaking shop in the Douglas store. Not only did she make dresses for herself, but she taught hundreds of girls to cut the patterns and to make dresses for themselves and for others. Rhea Alberta was born on June 24, 1900.

In 1900 Lorenzo Snow, a brother, came back from Old Mexico with glowing accounts of conditions there in the state of Sonora. In the fall of 1900 the family left for Mexico, and after spending three weeks enroute (several days in E1 Paso) they arrived in Colonia Dublan, the father stopping for days at the custom house in Ciudad Juarez in arranging papers for the passing of his furniture and implements into Mexico. The mother and children took the Mexican North Western train to Colonia Dub1an, arriving there in mid afternoon. By chance one of the older sons of Timothy Jones living in Dub1an was at the depot. He recognized the Huish family, rushed home to tell his mother who immediately sent him back to the depot with instructions to have the Huishes come to the Jones home. Mary Elizabeth Huish and Mary Jane Jones had served as Relief Society teachers together in Payson and were the very closest of friends. The Huish family remained with the Joneses until arrangements could be made for them elsewhere. This was around the first of December, 1900. They had intended to continue on to the state of Sonora with the others of their party, but due to the sickness of Alberta, they decided to remain in Dublan rather than try to make the long trip alone. A farm of 25 acres just south of the town as well as a house in town were purchased, the house just two blocks south of the Church building.

James had learned the carpenter and plastering trades before leaving Utah, and in Mexico found plenty of this work to do. He worked on the farm during the spring and summer, and during the winter he worked at odd jobs in building homes for others, often times many miles from home. The youngest daughter, Thelma Zada, was born April 27, 1903.

In 1912 political conditions became very unsettled due to the revolution recently started. Inez Salazar, a revolutionary rebel came with his army, set up a canon on the railroad tracks, aimed the canon at the town of Dublan and demanded the colonists give up their guns and ammunition to his forces.

The men very reluctantly complied with the demands of the Rebel leader, but in cases where the family had more than one gun they made sure to take to the rebels the older one, keeping the better one for possible future use. The raiders took saddle horses, saddles, and in many cases they entered the homes taking provisions as well as clothing.

In the latter part of July, the Stake Presidency and High Council decided that since the colonists were without adequate protection it would be wise to send the women and children to El Paso, Texas by train. The first train from Pearson (a lumber town some 20 miles to the South) was to take all of the women and girls from Colonia Juarez and Colonia Diaz, but since the Huish family consisted chiefly of girls, Bishop Thurber advised the Huish parents to send the mother and daughters on this train.

The Huish Family immediately started making preparations to leave. They selected out all of the clothes that they could take on the train as well as blankets and other items which they knew that they would have to use. The kitchen floor was taken up and 300 quarts of canned berries, 100 lbs. of sugar, and a new batch of home made soap together with the best of dishes were placed under the floor with the hope that these things might be recovered and used later, but none of the Huish family ever returned to the home.

There were 121 passengers on the train with the Huish family. The seats were placed lengthwise, and the cars were so crowded that the conductor had to walk on the backs of the seats to get from one car to the next. Water had to be drawn from the locomotive tank for the passengers to drink. Soon after leaving Dublan a shower fell on the train, causing President Anthony W. Ivins to remark that the Heavens were weeping. Viva and Ivie brought their mandolin and guitar, and as they played, the group sang Church hymns and other old familiar songs. Anthony W. Ivins met the train in El Paso and helped to provide places for them to sleep. Upon meeting the Huish family he said, "I have slept too many nights in your home and have eaten too many fine meals at your table to permit you folk to not have a suitable place to stay." He took them to a hotel and paid the bill for one week. Note: Almost all of the people who came on train had no money at all.

In the evening of August 1, 1912, the Stake Presidency and High Council sent word to Bishop Thurber of Dub1an advising him that all of the men folk (all of the women had gone to E1 Paso on the train) should leave with their work horses (saddle horses had been confiscated) and that they should ride these horses west into the Sierra Madre Mountains to a place known as the Stairs. A.B. Call of the bishopric brought the word to the Jones home where quite a number of the men folk of the town were sleeping. Messengers were sent to awaken all of the men of the town and advise them to be at the Tithing Office with their horses ready to leave at daylight in the morning.

The following morning the men folk of the Colony congregated at the Tithing office, most of them riding work horses without saddles as the saddle horses and saddles had been confiscated. Most of them had folded quilts thrown over the back of the animal to serve first as a saddle and later as a bed. There were around 100 men and grown boys in the party. To get to the designated location where we were to meet the men from other colonies it was necessary to take the only road leading thru the rugged hills and mountains, and to get onto this road we of necessity had to pass within 3 miles of Casas Grande where the rebel General Inez Salazar was stationed with his army. As we left Dub1an, Some of the local Mexicans took word to Salazar with the result that he dispatched a group of soldiers to intercept the colonists. The Mormons had already entered the canyon road leading to the west so that these rebel soldiers could not get ahead of them. The soldiers from the rear began to open fire with the result that one of the colonists was hit with a bullet in the leg, though not badly hurt. As the company climbed onto a rather flat area, Bishop Albert Thurber told a number of the middle aged men of experience to wait until the soldiers came on top of the flat area but to turn them back. As soon as the rebels came in sight of the Mormon men they began firing, and the Mormon fellows returned the fire. From later reports, we learned that two of the rebel soldiers were killed. Sufficient to say that, we never heard of these rebels on our way to our designated location in the mountains. As the group left Dub1an, James W. Huish picked up a few cold biscuits and these he shared with some of the others who had no food.

The men arrived at "Stairs" entering through a very narrow canyon where a very few men could hold off an army. One of the fellows had brought along a sack of flour. Each of the group carried a little water in his hat, poured this into the sack, mixed a little dough, wrapped this dough around a willow, and then held the dough over the coals to bake it. They had no utensils or other food. The next day the Bishop sent three men of the colony back to enter the colony at night and to bring back, packed on horses or mules, utensils and a supply of different foods. Beef cattle, deer, and other wild game were plentiful in the mountains. The group remained at the "Stairs" for three days awaiting the arrival of the men from the three Mountain colonies, Pacheco, Garcia, and Chuichupa. After all the refugees arrived, a council meeting was held, and it was decided to march to the United States. The men were divided into groups of ten, each man given his own responsibilities.

Upon leaving the "Stairs" the group rode all night to the upper Tapacita where they camped all day and the next night. During the first night out one of the brothers (John Allen) became mentally unbalanced and left the camp barefooted walking all the way back to Colonia Juarez. On the second day out the company sighted soldiers of General Blanco of the regular Mexican army, and he dispatched word to E1 Paso that he had sighted the group and that they were coming to E1 Paso. For days, after we hade left the colony going into the mountains, the E1 Paso papers carried one after another story (rumors) that all the Mormons had been killed.

At "Dog Springs" on the U.S. border, the group encountered a detachment of U.S. soldiers. At first these soldiers thought that it was a group of Mexican rebels and prepared to put up a fight, but then they detected that the group was American, and so they welcomed the group permitting the entry without showing any papers. The next night the group camped at the Hatchet ranch some ten miles south of Hatchita, New Mexico. During the night there was a cloud burst of rain which drenched every one of the party as they were all sleeping either on one quilt or a saddle blanket. The rain was so heavy that the water stood nearly one foot deep where the group was sleeping. All the men could do was to stand in the water and suffer it out till the rain stopped the next morning as there was not a particle of shelter to be had.

Horses were left at Hatchita to be put on pasture, and the men of the group took the train for El Paso. Fortunately there were some Mormon ranchers living at or near Hatchita, and they volunteered to take care of the horses. There were several thousand citizens as well as the wives and children who had come be train to El Paso, there to greet husbands, sons, and brothers.

The U.S. Government and the General Authorities of the Mormon Church had arranged transportation of the refugees to any point in the United States where ever they had relatives or friends who could give them temporary aid. Most of them, however, figured that within a very short time the conditions in the colonies would clear up so that they could return to their homes, and these persons preferred to remain in El Paso. So, the government, in an abandoned lumber yard, furnished tarpaulins and cots, some utensils, and also food to take care of such. However, as time went on and conditions became even worse, most of the colonists accepted the free transportation to the home of relatives or friends, and the greater part of them never did return to their homes.

The Huish family moved back to Payson, the former home, but in December of the year 1912, they moved to Provo, Utah. Upon their arrival in Provo, the bishop furnished them with flour and coal and some other things to help them get started.

In 1913, James and his son went into Idaho where James found work as a carpenter, while Elbert worked at a sugar factory. The next spring, James worked at Ft. Douglas in Salt Lake City. Later, upon returning to Provo, a Mr. O. R. Thomas gave James a job in his greenhouse where he worked for 8 or more years. Later, he was hired as general repair man at the State Mental Hospital where he worked until June 10, 1927. His wife, Mary Elizabeth, died April 16, 1927. He lived alone for a few weeks, sold the home, then went to Las Vegas, New Mexico to live with his daughter Ivie and her husband Lorin F. Jones, both of whom were working as Agricultural Extension workers for the Agricultural College. After reaching 71 years of age in 1931, he was called to serve on two short term missions in Albuquerque, Santa Fe & Las Vegas. In 1936 he moved with the Jones family to Albuquerque, and three years later to Roswell, New Mexico for two years when the family moved back to Albuquerque.

During the 14 years he was with the Jones family, he visited with them many parts of the United States and some in Mexico. These included: Dedication of the Mesa Temple, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Carlsbad Caverns, Washington D.C., New York, Hill Cumorah, Niagara Falls, Chicago's World Fair, Nauvoo, Independence, 4 trips to California, and 2 trips to Colonia Dublan, his old home.

James has always been active in music and was a member of some orchestra from his early teens. He played the baritone in the Payson band, the Huish band, and the Dublan band. He played the piccolo in the Payson orchestra and in the State Hospital orchestra, and the drums in the M.I.A. orchestra in Albuquerque.

At an early age he took an active part in dramatic work, first playing in Sunday School and later in community productions. He played on the stage with such noted actors as John S. Lindsley in "Count of Monte Cristo." He was a member of the Payson Dramatic Association. In Old Mexico he took part in the play, "The Southern Spy," taking the part of Sockery Schneiderbaker with the result that he was given the nickname of Sockery.

Thirty years later, when he went back to Mexico to visit his old home, the older people there remembered the play and still called him Sockery.

Compiled by Lorin F. Jones and Ray L. Jones, May 8, 1940 at Roswell, New Mexico




  • Maintained by: Bonnie Huish
  • Originally Created by: Cindy Baldogo
  • Added: 18 Dec 2008
  • Find A Grave Memorial 32255443
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for James William Huish, Jr (11 May 1860–10 Jun 1941), Find A Grave Memorial no. 32255443, citing Provo City Cemetery, Provo, Utah County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by Bonnie Huish (contributor 46938507) .