Thomas Coates enlisted in Company "A" of the Independent Loudoun Virginia Rangers (USA) on Sept. 20, 1863 at Potomac Furnace, Va. for three years. He was captured in a skirmish near Leesburg, Va. on Dec. 26, 1863, sent to Richmond, and was paroled on April 16, 1864 at City Point, Va. He was mustered out on May 31, 1865 at Bolivar, W.Va. His rank was Corporal.
Married Mary A. Athey on January 8, 1872. She died on April 20, 1907 and is buried at Glenwood Cemetery in Washington DC.
They had the following children:
- Eva May Coates 1873 - 1911
- John Thomas Coates 1876 - 1902
- William Athey Coates 1878 - 1945
- Walter Clayton Coates 1881 - 1943
- Jane Elizabeth Coates Barnes 1885 - 1928
(thanks to Edward Spannaus for the service information)
Co. B., Loudoun Rangers, Va. Vols.