The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 James William Huish, Sr

James William Huish, Sr

Uley, Stroud District, Gloucestershire, England
Death 1 Dec 1897 (aged 75)
Payson, Utah County, Utah, USA
Burial Payson, Utah County, Utah, USA
Plot Block 24 Lot 6 Pos 9
Memorial ID 31472469 · View Source
Suggest Edits

James William Huish, Sr. was born December 21, 1821 in the village of Uley, Gloucestershire, England, was the son of Edward Huish and Elizabeth Ball. My mother had six children - four boys and two girls. Their names were as follows: Mary Ann, Alexander, William, James, Walter, and Elizabeth. Two of them, Mary Ann, and William died in infancy.

My father dying when we were young left my mother to struggle along in the world with a family of small children, in consequence of this we were obliged to go to work when very young and did not have the privilege of going to school on week days, so that all the education we could get was in the Sunday School. My oldest brother, Alexander, however, was more fortunate than the other children. My father's Aunt Catherine Cave took him to live with her and she being well-to-do gave him an education far above what we could get in Sabbath School. At that time my Mother was apprenticed to spinning in the woolen factory before she married my father and after his death returned again to the factory and I with my brother and sister went with her. I being just eight years old continued to work at the factory until I was fifteen years of age. At that time I was apprenticed to a blacksmith at a place about 7 miles from Uley at the village of Avening. My apprenticeship lasting seven years. The same year my sister Elizabeth went to London and my brother to London in Herfordshire and Walter was left at home. My mother, after being a widow twelve years married a man by the name of George Tilly. At this time I met Helen Niblett and on the 14th of February 1842, St. Valentine's day, were married in the village of Avening, Gloucestershire, England. On the 12th day of April 1843, our first child was born, Edward Alexander. Up to that time I was not impressed very seriously with any religious other denominations, but stood aloof from them all until I heard the Latter-day Saints preach the everlasting Gospel and was convinced of its truth and was baptized on the 27th day of December, 1843 in Avening by Elder Henry Webb and confirmed the same day by the same Elder. My wife was also baptized by the same Elder.

I was ordained a priest on the 1st day of January 1844 when my oldest son was two years old. I moved into Monmouthshire and went to work in Blaenavon at the Iron works and continued to work there for 12 years. During that time I had four sons and one daughter born to me. Joseph Walter born July 25, 1846--Fanny born December 4, 1848 (died in infancy) Orson Pratt September 13, 1851--Franklin D. and Lorenzo Snow, twins born November 27, 1854.

I was appointed President of the Church branch in Blaenavon in 1846 and continued until I was counseled to go to America in the year 1857. When I left my family and embarked on the ship Trescorna bound for Philadelphia. We landed on the 3rd day of July and took the train on the same day for Dottsville to celebrate the national Independence of this great Republic. I soon found employment among the coaleries at Minersville Schuylkill County and worked there about 5 weeks and then went to St. Louis and worked there for a short time with my brother Walter, From there I went to Louisiana, stayed there about 3 weeks or a month, and then went to Frankfort, a small city about fifteen miles from St. Louis. There I stayed, hired a shop and went to work in earnest and in a few months earned enough money to send $200 to England to emigrate my family. They arrived safely at New York on the 15th day of January 1859 with the exception of our youngest son Heber who was born after I left and died on shipboard and was buried in the Atlantic Ocean. My family came on to Frankfort where we lived until the year 1860. In this place my son James William Jr. was born May 11, 1860. We left this place on the 10th of April 1861 to meet the emigration at Florence, Nebraska the fitting out camp for the saints. Here we stayed three or four weeks waiting for the company to get ready. It was about this time that my brother Walter while out buying oxen for the journey was thrown from his horse and was so very badly used up that he was unable to do anything all the time we travelled. In May 1861 we started across the plains with ox teams to Utah in Job Pingrees Company. After travelling something like four months we arrived in Utah and came directly to Payson arriving the 4th of September 1861 and were greeted by some of our old acquaintances. I was immediately engaged by Bro. Beeby to work at the nail factory (which afterwards became the Machine shop and Furniture Shop of my brother, Walter H. Huish). I worked there for some time or until the company broke up and then went to work for myself. I continued to work for myself at intervals as well as I could. It was a very trying time then and hard for a man with a large family to make a comfortable living. There was no money in the country and it was a long time before I saw a half dollar in coin after I came. On June 29, 1863 my daughter Florette was born and on June 9, 1866 my son Frederic Augustus was born making in my family 8 sons and 2 daughters (2 dying in infancy).

My first blacksmith shop was on the corner where Hyrum Lemon's home now stands, where I did blacksmithing for some time and then moved down to the corner East of the 4th Ward Church where I continued in the business with the help of my sons for many years and then in late years I moved my shop again onto my own place where I could work just when I felt like it.

He was connected in many ways in the up building of the country and was willing when called upon to do whatever was asked of him. As a pioneer he took his turn standing guard at night against the Indians at the Fort, was a tradesman and made many things that were in need so much in those pioneer days, such as bolts, hinges, scrapers, door latches, shoes for oxen as well as horses and he also held many positions in the Church. Being of a strict religious nature he held his religion above everything. He was honest, straightforward in all his dealings and tried to be a L.D.S. to the best of his ability. He was of a most congenial and lovable disposition and always had a good word for everyone, and tried to make others happy.

He was a great lover of children, and although he was in poor health for quite a long time was hardly ever heard to complain. He died the 1st day of January 1897 at the age of 75 years 11 months and 10 days, leaving a wife and 8 children. They were Edward, Joseph, Orson, Franklin D. and Lorenzo S., James William, Florette Gardner, and Frederick Augustus. Seventy-two grandchildren survived him.

Written by James William Huish Sr. and completed by Florette Huish Gardner

Family Members





  • Maintained by: Bonnie Huish
  • Originally Created by: Cindy Baldogo
  • Added: 17 Nov 2008
  • Find A Grave Memorial 31472469
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for James William Huish, Sr (21 Dec 1821–1 Dec 1897), Find A Grave Memorial no. 31472469, citing Payson City Cemetery, Payson, Utah County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by Bonnie Huish (contributor 46938507) .