*** CIVIL WAR Veteran ***
date of service: Aug. 25, 1862 to June 30, 1865.
Assigned to NY 3rd Regiment, Company K, Light Artillery.
Mustered in under Captain James R. Angell.
William A. Scott was promoted to rank of Corporal on May 23, 1863.
He was mobilized in combat at the following Battles:
1) Rawls Mill on Nov. 2, 1862 in N.C.
2) Kinston on Dec. 14, 1862 in N.C.
3) White Hall on Dec. 16, 1862 in N.C.
4) Goldsboro on Dec. 17, 1862 in N.C.
5) Chaffin's Farm on Sept. 29 - 30, 1864 in Va.
6) Petersburg on June 9, 1864 to March 25, 1865 in Va.
His brother's, Orrin Edgar Scott and John Albert Scott also fought in the same battles. All 3 brothers were mustered out of Richmond, Virginia on June 30, 1865. After the war they shortly resided in Wolcott, Wayne, NY. instead of Weedsport or Brutus, Cayuga co., NY.
Orrin died on August 2, 1865 shortly after the war ended in Butler, Wayne, NY.
-- William usually went by his middle name of Augustus --
* - his father, William Scott, who died in 1899 was a U.S. Pensioner.
- On Wednesday July 24, 1895 - New York State Pensions granted was re-issued to William A. Scott of Weedsport. Not known if this applied to his father only or if Augustus earned some form of pension. In either case, unknown by what means the pension was accrued. Investigating NY State records may give details.
^^ member of the G.A.R. Whiteside Post #166, Weedsport, NY.
On July 3, 1868, William married Irene Hoyt, daughter of Isaac G. Hoyt and Phoebe Forman.
They had 5 Children:
1) William Irving "Erwin" Scott (b.1872) - never married
2) Harriett "Hattie" Mae Scott (b.1879)- married 3 times
1-Ora H. Dillingham -their children, Ruth and Harold.
2-Arthur F. Shryer
3-Courtney Reeves Hewitt
3) Helen "Nellie" Forman Scott (b.1880) - married 3 times
1-Edward Clare Wise -their child, Eva
3-Roy O'Neal Young (WWI Army Veteran).
4) Mae "Mary" Lenore Scott (b.1882) - m. Floyd Clinton Pulsipher
their children, Wayne and Leon
5) Harrison "Harry" B. Scott (b.1888) Find A Grave #85513534 - married twice
1-Georgia Hazel Mills -their children, Thelma and Glenn
2-Bessie E. (nee Russell) Foster - Britton
Parents: William Scott and Joan Allen (had 6/7 children).
*see explanation of number of children via his father, William Scott.
Orrin Edgar Scott
John Albert Scott
Walter S. Scott
Sarah J. Scott
Bio by: ScottishPiper
Irene Hoyt Scott
1848–1926 (m. 1868)
Co. K., 3 NY Light
Sponsored by Ancestry