The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

Lieut Edward Crafts Hopson

Lieut Edward Crafts Hopson

Connecticut, USA
Death 19 Oct 1864 (aged 22)
Cedar Creek Battlefield, Frederick County, Virginia, USA
Burial East Poultney, Rutland County, Vermont, USA
Plot Lot 116
Memorial ID 29147926 · View Source
Suggest Edits

See letter from Edward to his sister, Caroline Scovill (Hopson) Clark (FAG Memorial #43708467), for complete transcription of November 1862 letter.


Civil War casualty.

Company D
2nd Connecticut Heavy Artillery

Died at age 22.

Education: 1865, Posthumous degree from Trinity College, CT.

Military Service: Between 1861-1864, Corporal, Connecticut Volunteer Artillery.

Killed in the Civil War Oct 1864. In a letter home Nov. 1862, Ned had written, "I prophesy that within a month the Waterloo of the war will be fought in Virginia, which battle will place Richmond in our hands before Christmas. Second that Willie (his brother in the Confederate Army) and I will get together in Richmond. Third, that peace will be declared by the first of March. Fourth, that Willie and I will get home by next summer."

September 10th. Mrs. William Curtis Noyes presented a beautiful stand of colors to the regiment. On the 11th it was formally mustered into the service of the United States and on the 15th it proceeded by rail to Washington, DC and to Alexandria, VA where it was equipped with "A" tents and Enfield rifles. It was assigned to duty under General J.P. Slough, "military governor of Alexandria," encamping just outside the city, and relieved the Thirty-third Massachusetts in the disagreeable task of patrolling the city. This service soon began to tell on the health of the regiment. Colonel Wessells himself became seriously ill, as well as other officers and a large number of enlisted men; sixteen deaths occurring from disease in a single month.

January 12, 1863, brought through the persistent solicitation of Colonel Kellogg for relief from this unwelcome service, an assignment to duty under General Robert O. Tyler, in the "military defenses of Alexandria," and change of location to Forth Worth, near Fairfax Seminary. This soon resulted in improving the health of the regiment.

May 12, 1863, its companies were distributed for garrison duty in Fort Ellsworth, Redoubts A,B,C, and D, and the Water Battery on the he Potomac below Alexandria.

September 16th, Colonel Wessells (his health proving to be permanently impaired) tendered his resignation, and, October 23rd, Lieutenant-Colonel Kellogg was promoted to the colonelcy.

November 23rd, its organization was changed, by order of the War Department, to artillery, and recruiting to that standard was authorized.

November 30th, Lieutenants Marsh, Knight, and Hosford were ordered to Connecticut on recruiting service, and Captain Williams, with Lieutenants Coe and Candee, to the draft rendezvous at New Haven for the same purpose, and by March 1, 1864 the regiment numbered 1,80 strong. May 17, 1864 it was ordered to the Army of the Potomac, which it joined near Fredericksburg May 20th and assigned to General Emory Upton's (Second) Brigade, First Division, Sixth Army Corps. May 22nd it crossed the North Anna River, and while on the skirmish line lost its first man, killed by rebel bullets. May 24th to 30th it was occupied in destroying the railroads at various points, and making one of the hardest marches of its entire service. May 30th it was on picket duty near Tolopotomoy Creek and, on May 31st near Cold Harbor, losing two men killed and five wounded.

June 1st under command of Colonel Kellogg, the regiment was disposed in three lines under Majors Hubbard, Rice, and Ells, and advanced in that order, the objective point being the heavy earthworks defended by Longstreet's veterans. It was passed at double-quick to the first line, capturing it and sending to the rear over 300 prisoners; forward again at double-quick, with intervals of less than 100 yards between battalions, to and through a stiff abattis, within twenty yards of the enemy's main line, where it met a most destructive fire from both its front and left flank, but pressed on, some even to the top of the main line of earthworks. Nothing could withstand the murderous fire that now met them, and the First and Second battalions crept back to the somewhat less exposed position held by the Third, but leaving behind on the field 323 of Lichfield County's bravest sons, 129 of them dead or mortally wounded -- a record unsurpassed by any other regiment of the Union Army during the war. Among these were that ideal soldier, Colonel E.S. Kellogg, who fell riddled with bullets in the advance with the First battalion, Captain Luman Wadhams, who was mortally wounded and Major Ells who was severely wounded. < See Ned's letter of 4 June in Part 4)

We are not allowed space in which to chronicle individual acts of bravery and devotion to duty, but cannot pass to record other scenes without saying that the fortunate survivors remember with loving pride the last words and acts of such comrades as Corporal Baldwin of Company E (reported "missing" but certainly killed in action). And the cool, quiet but quick and sensible decisions of Kellogg, Berry, Burnham, Hosford, Spencer, and other officers and the unrecorded bravery of the very many of our fellow soldiers.

This advanced position was "stubbornly held" (vide Upton), and on the he 3rd another advance was made, the regiment being under fire continuously until the 12th.

June 6th, Captain R.S. MacKenzie, of the Engineer Corps, took command of the regiment, Lieutenant-Colonel Hubbard declining promotion.

June 16th, embarked on James River, disembarking (17th) near Bermuda Hundred. 19th crossed the Appomattox, and relieved Hind's colored brigade, in rifle-pits in front of Petersburg, at night relieving our Eleventh Connecticut regiment, in a still more advanced position, with many silent evidences of the bravery of that regiment around us.

June 20th and 21st made cautious and slight advances.

June 22nd, had a lively affair with Hill's Division, losing ten killed and nine wounded, but gaining a position that was held by the Union army as the advanced line until the close of the war. July 9th marched through the stifling dust, "knee deep" to City Point, embarking on steamboats, disembarking July 12th at Washington, marching to Tenallytown, arriving in time to hear the last of the firing and to engage in the chase of Early; forded the Potomac at Edward's Ferry July 16th; crossed the Blue Ridge at Snicker's Gap 17th; forded the Shenandoah 20th, and camped near Berryville. At midnight commenced the return march, reaching Tenallytown 23rd, remaining long enough for the issue of much-needed clothing.

July 25th crossed Aqueduct Bridge to Fort Corcoran, relieving an Ohio regiment of one-hundred-day's men.

July 26th, recrossed the Potomac, under orders to rejoin the Sixth Corps, which had been turned back to repel another of Early's attempted invasions of Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Joined the Corps 27th; crossed the Potomac at Harper's Ferry 29th; was occupied in continual skirmishing up and down the valley until September 11th, when Early was forced to near Cedar Creek, and First Division camped near Clifton.

September 19th, was called into action to check the enemy, who had broken our lines near Winchester.

General Sheridan's report tells the story, as follows:

"At Winchester for a moment the contest was uncertain, but the gallant attack of General Upton's Brigade (Second Connecticut Artillery, Sixty-fifth and One Hundred and Twenty-first New York, and Ninety-fifth Pennsylvania) restored the line of battle until the turning column of Crook and Merritt and Averill's divisions of cavalry sent the enemy whirling through Winchester." The regiment lost here 14 officers and 122 enlisted men, killed and wounded, among them Major Rice and Lieutenants Candee, Hubbard and Cogswell killed, Captain Berry and Lieutenant McCabe mortally wounded and Lieutenant Flyer crippled for life by a wound in the leg. Colonel MacKenzie and Major Skinner were among the less seriously wounded.

September 22nd, the corps was advanced directly up the seemingly impassable face of Fisher's Hill, arriving at the summit, just as the Eight Corps, by a brilliant move, was enabled to strike the right flank of an otherwise impregnable position, and the enemy was driven in the utmost confusion the Second Artillery losing only four killed and nineteen wounded.

September 25th at Harrisonberg, the command was again faced toward the Potomac, with orders to destroy everything which, if left behind, could give aid or comfort to the enemy. Ashby's Gap was reached October 13th. Here, Sheridan, learning of Early's presence in the valley again, once more headed his own army up the valley, encamping (October 14th) near Cedar Creek, where early on the 19th, it was surprised and driven back about three miles. About 4 p.m. a new line was established, and the enemy to and beyond our camp of the previous day again scattering Early's army. This day the regiment lost thirty-eight killed and ninety-six wounded. Captain Hosford was killed early in the morning and Captain Fenn and Lieutenant Gregory each lost an arm, -- severe losses for our regiment which had learned to rely on the quiet self-possession, and unflinching bravery of these officers.

Lieutenant Henry Skinner, with about forty men of Companies E and L, was on picket and captured, and was not released until about the time of Lee's surrender.

Tentative locations:
Oct 1863-May 1863: Ft Williams, VA
15 May 1863: Fort Cass
17 May 1863: Ft Albany
May 1863: Belle Plaine, VA
19 May 1863 Fredericksburg, VA
Marched within a mile of Spotsylvania Courthouse
22 May 1863: near Mattpony, VA
31 May 1863: near Mechanicsville, VA within 7 miles of Richmond
4 June 1863: Gaines Mill, VA
21 September 1863: near Strasburg, VA (Letters, Part)
23 September 1863: near Woodstock, VA


at the battle of Cedar Creek, Va.
Oct. 19, 1864
AE 22

I have fought a good fight. I have
finished my course. I have kept
the faith.

II Tim. IV. 7.

Gravesite Details Date of burial: September 21, 1865




  • Maintained by: Charlet Roskovics
  • Originally Created by: Steven Smith
  • Added: 19 Aug 2008
  • Find A Grave Memorial 29147926
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Lieut Edward Crafts Hopson (18 Jun 1842–19 Oct 1864), Find A Grave Memorial no. 29147926, citing Saint Johns Episcopal Church Cemetery, East Poultney, Rutland County, Vermont, USA ; Maintained by Charlet Roskovics (contributor 47959578) .