Jahaza Howard was a son of John Howard and Lavinah Harris. His name can also be found as Gehazi. It is believed he came to Ellisburg, Jefferson Co., New York at the age of 12. His family is one of the pioneer families of Jefferson Co. He entered the New York Militia , Allen's 55th on August 22, 1814 & completed service in 25 days & was paid $6.45. Jahaza was a ship's Captain.
He married Hannah Cronk in 1817 in Ellisburg, Jefferson County, New York and to that union were born the following children:
1. John C Howard - b. 1819
2. Emogene Howard - b.1820
3. Simon Harris Howard - b. 1822
4. Albert Wayne Howard - b. 1824
5. Charles Worth Howard - b. 1827
6. Adelia K. Howard - b. 1831
7. Rosseta G. Howard - b.1833
8. Laurel Jay Howard - b. 1835 d. 1902, buried in Lucerne Cemetery, Sheridan County, Kansas.
9. Samuel Howard - b. abe 1835
10. Diantha C. Howard - b. 1839
11. Mary Ann Howard - b. 1842
Written on the stone in between the names is "They live in memory"