The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 George Washington Campbell

George Washington Campbell

Death 7 Oct 1927 (aged 38)
Burial Gowensville, Greenville County, South Carolina, USA
Memorial ID 27324067 · View Source
Suggest Edits

s/o Elford Furman & Lee Anna Newman Campbell

Sent by: Kelly Jane O.

SOURCE: from the files of Cathy Griffith // kjmoh

SOURCE: Greenville County, South Carolina Death certificate # 16741
Glassy Mountain Township

George Washington Campbell
male, white, married
Birth: August 12, 1888
Age: 39 years, 1 month, 25 days
Occupation: farmer
Father: E.F. Campbell
Mother: Luana Newman
Informant: F.L. and W.F. Campbell
Death: October 7, 1927 at 7 PM
Cause: killed by having left jugular vain cut, bled to death, lived about 20 minutes, Homicide
Burial: October 7, 1927 at Gowensville Cemetery
Undertaker: Tolly W. Petty, Gowensville
SOURCE: Greenville News, Page 7
DATE: Tuesday, March 25, 1924



George Campbell, middle aged farmer of Highland Township, was arrested yesterday morning at his home near Gowansville by Deputy Sheriffs J.D. Noe, P.H. Jones and E.S. Cothran under a warrant charging him with assault and battery with intent to kill against C.H. Howe, a man over 50, in front of Howe's house near Gowansville last Saturday night about 7:00 o'clock. Campbell was found in bed at about 11 o'clock, arrested and brought to Greenville, being committed to the county jail. The Deputy Sheriffs said that he accompanied them without making any disturbance but added that he was non-commital and would make no statements about the alleged assault.
Mr. Howe, it was learned at the Sheriff's office, had had no quarrell with the prisoner but was injured while attempting the role of peacemaker. According to information obtained bySheriff Carlos A. Rector, Campbell was walking down the road in front of Mr. Howe's home when he met Belton Turner, who also lives near Gowansville, almost immediately in front of the Howe home. Campbell is said to have been considerately intoxicated and is quoted by Turner as threatening to "beat him up". The loud and angry voice of Campbell attracted Mr. Howe's attention and he ran out of his house shortly after blows had been passed between Campbell and Turner, it was said.
Mr. Howe according to the Sheriff's information, told the two men that his wife had a weak heart and was greatly frightened by the noise made by their quarrell. He asked them to stop fighting and making a commotion in front of his house. It was then, it was alleged that Campbell pulled out a knife and attacked the old man, cutting a gash from forehead to chin, on one side of his neck and another across his left chest, the latter cut was so long and deep as to almost reveal Mr. Howe's heart, it was learned. During the attack on Mr. Howe, Turner "took to his heels", officers said.
Mr. Howe is confined at his home, it not being known as yet whether his injuries will be fatal. He is said to be in a serious condition and it is understood that Magistrate James of Greer, before whom the warrant was sworn yesterday morning, went to the injured man's home. While the causes of the quarrell between Campbell and Turner is not definitely known, it is thought by officers that Campbell was trying to "get even" with Turner for appearing as witness against him in the last term of sessions court.
Campbell, who was tried in the March term of sessions court for assault and battery with intent to kill against Clyde Howard in a garage at Gowansville, was found guilty and given a sentence of eighteen months. The case was appealed and Campbell was released from custody under a $2,000 bond. It will be remembered that Campbell was held by the Coroner's jury in connection with the death of Landrum Mills, who was brought to his home near Gowansville shortly before Christmas by Campbell and others. It is said that those who brought Mills home told his wife that he was drunk, it being discovered later that he was dead. It was alleged that Landrum and a man named Stone engaged in a friendly wrestle with Campbell. During the tussle Campbell, it was alleged, lost his temper and stomped Landrum with his feet, He was released under a $2,000 bond on this charge, it was learned.
SOURCE: Greenville News, Page 1
DATE: Saturday, October 8, 1927





George W. Campbell, 40, farmer of Gowansville, was fatally slashed in the throat at 7 o'clock last night while in front of his brother, Broadus Campbell, at Gowansville. Ernest Lewis, 27, also a farmer of Gowansville, surrendered to Sheriff Carlos A. Rector at 10 o'clock last night, admitting he inflicted the wound. E.F. Campbell, of Greer, father of the deceased, said that he would have Bob Wolfe, companion of Lewis, arrested as an accomplice.
Campbell, with a wide knife wound in his throat, was carried to a Gowansville Doctor, about a mile from the cutting scene, but he died while on the operating table.
Conflicting reports of the trouble were given officers and a News reporter by Lewis and Wolfe and by Campbell's relatives.
Lewis said he drove up to the house with Wolfe on a friendly mission and that George was in the road. Wolfe got out and was attacked by Campbell. Lewis said he went up to seperate the two, and he was assaulted himself. While warding off Campbell, Lewis drew a large pocket knife and slashed in self-defense, he declared.
Wolfe said he tried to pull Campbell away from Lewis even after his (Campbell's) throat was cut. Campbell had a rock in each hand, he said.
"I don't know why he jumped on me", Lewis said."We had always been friendly. I was talking with him in a friendly way yesterday. He must have been drinking." Wolfe, who accompanied Lewis to Greenville, was wearing bloody clothes, he saying the gore came from Campbell's wounds.
E.T. Campbell, father of the deceased, told a News reporter that George and Broadus, his sons, were at the latter's house, he had been advised. Lewis and Wolfe drove up, and the latter got out. He went over to George who was sitting in his car, and said "I've been looking for a good man all day," and George said "Well, you've found him." They scuffled a short while, and George got out of the car. Lewis then came up and he and Campbell scuffled, rolling to the ground. Wolfe told Campbell, the father said, to get off Lewis, and he did, and Lewis, when he got up, whipped his knife to inflict the fatal wound.
Campbell has figured in courts of the county and district prominently in late years, officers recalled that night. Eight or 10 years ago he was tried for killing a man named Sanders, who was slain at Gowansville, and was acquitted. In 1923, he was charged with murdering Landrum Mills, also of Gowansville, and was acquitted again. Mills was trampled to death and his body was carried to his home and put in bed, officers said.
In 1924 Campbell was sentenced to serve five years on being convicted of assault and bettery in connection with an attack on Austin Howell, also of Gowansville. Campbell and another man were in the road creating a disorder and Mr. Howell asked them to be quiet. The response, officers said, was a bad wound in the side for which Campbell was sentenced. Governor McLeod paroled him however, a few months after the new term began.
Campbell was facing trial in federal court this month on charge of distilling.
Campbell is survived by his widow, who before her marriage was Miss Minnie Ballew, and the following sons and daughters: Alex, Ruth, Juliet, Paul, Marshall, Marcell and Kathaleen. His father and the following brothers and sister, likewise survive; W.F., Thomas, Alex and Furman and Mrs. Maggie Phillips.
The body was carried to the J.D. Wood, Funeral home, in Greer, for preparation for burial. Funeral announcements will be made later. An inquest date had not been set last night by Coroner J.L. Parks.
Wolfe was brought to the county jail at 1 o'clock this morning to be held until further unvestigation of the slaying is made. He was arrested by Deputies Pierce Jones, Ernest Cothran, Edgar Moser and Roy Hammond, who answered the first call to the slaying scene.
SOURCE: Greenville News, Page 5
DATE: Sunday, October 9, 1927



Formal inquest into the death of George W. Campbell, 40, Gowansville farmer, who was killed early Friday night allegedly by Ernest Lewis, 27, and Robert Wolfe, 30, of the same section, will be held tomorrow morning in the undertaking establishment of John M. Wood, at Greer, it was announced yesterday by Coroner John L. Parks.
It was understood yesterday that Lewis and Wolfe, held in the county jail on charges of murder, would be represented respectively by J.D. Landford and L.F. Wood, of Greenville and Greer. It was, likewise, understood that application for bond would be made for the two men as soon as the inquest was held.
Versions of events heading up to the death of Campbell, continued to vary last night. Coroner John L. Parks said that three witnesses with whom he talked said that Lewis and Wolfe followed Campbell to the home of Broadus Campbell at Gowansville, in front of which the fight occured. The Coroner said that these witnesses told him that Wolfe started a fight with Campbell and that Lewis tried to seperate them and in the scuffle that followed slashed his throat with a knife, giving him the wound from which he died while being taken to Greer.
Deputy Sheriff's E.S. Cothran and P.H. Jones said that the persons with whom, they talked said that Campbell knocked Lewis down and jumped on him. They said that Lewis, while lying beneath Campbell, cut him. They said further that Campbell, despite his wound in the throat, had to be dragged off of Lewis.
SOURCE: Greenville News, Page 2
DATE: Tuesday, October 11, 1927



A Coroner's jury yesterday morning held Ernest Lewis, 27, as the slayer, and Robert Wolfe, 30, as one connected with the killing Friday night at Gowansville of George W. Campbell, farmer of that section, who fell mortally wounded with a knife slash across the throat.
The two were formally charged with murder after the inquest by Coroner J.L. Parks and Solicitor J.G. Leatherwood consented to bond of $1,500 for each. However, they were still in the county jail at a late hour last night.
Three witnesses were examined during the probe. They were Broadus Campbell, nephew of the deceased, at whose home Campbell was killed, and Hughey Farmer and Charlie Benson. All testified in substance that Campbell drove up to Broadus Campbell's house at 7 o'clock Friday night and called to his nephew. A minute or so later, Wolfe and Lewis, likewise, drove up and the farmer went over to Campbell's car, saying "I've been looking for a good man all day."
Campbell said, "Well, you've got him", witnesses testified. They wrestled a minute or so, over the door of the car, and Campbell jumped out of the machine. Wolfe met him again and they finally got down on the ground. Lewis then came up and told Campbell to get off. At that he and Campbell became entangled and Lewis pulled a knife with which he slew Campbell.
J.G. Leatherwood, Solicitor, appeared for the state, and J.D. Lanford and L.E. Wood were Counsel for the defendants.





  • Created by: Elizabeth Olmstead
  • Added: 4 Jun 2008
  • Find A Grave Memorial 27324067
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for George Washington Campbell (10 Aug 1889–7 Oct 1927), Find A Grave Memorial no. 27324067, citing First Baptist Church of Gowensville Cemetery, Gowensville, Greenville County, South Carolina, USA ; Maintained by Elizabeth Olmstead (contributor 46772820) .