Daughter of Benjamin Bennett and Susanna Lucinda Taylor
PROOF positive that the wife of Harrison Bennett was also named BENNETT (not Hines) at birth and the FACT that she was a daughter of Benjamin Bennett can be found in the Tennessee State Archives, Book G, pages 301-325, for DeKalb County, Tennessee, dated June 3, 1873 to Sept. 17, 1873, where it is recorded in a "Bill of Complaint" which listed the children and grandchildren of Benjamin Bennett, deceased, where the following is recorded: "Sarah Bennett widow of Harrison Bennett dec'd AND DAUGHTER OF BENJAMIN BENNETT in State of Arkansas."
She was married, about 1833 in Smith County, Tennessee, to Harrison Bennett. Together they produced 11 children, all of whom lived to adulthood and marriage. Which was somewhat rare in those early days.
Their children were:
1. Thomas Smith Bennett b. April 27, 1833, in Smith County, Tennessee, married Elizabeth Elmira McFarland on April 27, 1854, in Ripley County, Missouri, d. December 1885 in Randolph County, Arkansas.
2. Wesley Carlisle Bennett b. about 1835, in Smith County, Tennessee, married Sarah Jane Long about 1858 in Bollinger County, Missouri, d. after 1860.
3. Hester Ann Bennett b. October 17, 1839, in Smith County, Tennessee, married on December 31, 1874, in Randolph County, Arkansas to a widower named Dr. James Monroe Burk (whose wife had died in September of 1874 - leaving him with a daughter named Sarah), d. Feb. 25, 1916, in Henryetta, Okmulgee County, Oklahoma. She and her husband were divorced prior to 1900.
4. William Sorrow Bennett, b. September 28, 1841, in DeKalb County, Tennessee, married Susan Hufsteadler on February 21, 1867, in Birdwell, Randolph County, Arkansas, d. April 3, 1891, in Randolph County, Arkansas.
5. Mary Tennessee Bennett, b. February 28, 1843, in DeKalb County, Tennessee, married on October 18, 1866, in Randolph County, Arkansas, to John Marion Pearson, d. March 22, 1913 in Arkansas.
6. Elizabeth Frances Bennett, b. 1844 in DeKalb County, Tennessee, married about 1862, to William Henry Newland, d. January 27, 1928, in Sanger, Texas.
7. Allen Lafayette Bennett, b. 1845, in Tennessee, married on January 13, 1870, in Randolph County, Arkansas, to Georgia Alva Williams, d. 1888 in Denton, Texas.
8. Susannah Jane Bennett, b. March 25, 1846, in DeKalb County, Tennessee, married 1st to Martin Adams on April 21, 1867, in Randolph County, Arkansas, married 2nd to Tom Bryan on March 7, 1875, in Randolph County, Arkansas, married 3rd on September 13, 1885, in Washington County, Arkansas, to Williston Bates, d. July 28, 1923, in Arkansas.
9. John Paradise Bennett (my great, great grandfather), b. May 12, 1849, in Smithville, DeKalb County, Tennessee, married on July 21, 1872, to Sarah Inez Collier, d. December 14, 1931, in Springdale, Benton County, Arkansas.
10. George Taylor Bennett, b. September 5, 1853, in St. Francois County, Missouri, married on January 2, 1876, in Randolph County, Arkansas, to Letha Catherine Wyatt, d. 1941.
11. Henry Sterling Bennett, b. October 21, 1855, in Buffalo, Ripley County, Missouri, married on July 21, 1878, in Randolph County, Arkansas, to Sarah "Sadie" Jane Pratt, d. April 17, 1916, in Shannon, Randolph County, Arkansas.
Harrison Paradise Bennett
1814–1867 (m. 1833)
Thomas Smith Bennett
Wesley Carlisle Bennett
1835 – unknown
Hester Ann Bennett Burk
William Sorrow Bennett
Mary Tennessee Bennett Pearson
Elizabeth Frances Bennett Newland
Allen Lafayette Bennett
Susannah Jane Bennett Bates
George Taylor Bennett
Henry Sterling Bennett