Captain George Edward Ram


Captain George Edward Ram

Death 25 Mar 1916 (aged 36–37)
Burial West Brompton, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, Greater London, England
Plot 8(3) 163 x 124
Memorial ID 24628908 View Source
Suggest Edits

Rank: Captain
Regiment: North Staffordshire Regiment "A" Coy. 4th Bn.
Age 37 years old

Son of the Rev. Prebendary Robert Digby Ram, M.A., late Vicar of Hampton, Middx., and Prebendary of St. Paul's Cathedral.
George was the husband of Millicent Grace Ram, of 19, Hove Park Villas, Hove, Sussex. He married Millicent on the 9th of October 1907, at St Stephen's Church in Cheltenham.
They had a daughter Georgiana.

George was educated privately and at Michaelmas (September) 1900, he was admitted to Trinity Hall, Cambridge as a "pensioner". (A pensioner was a student who paid for his tuition and accommodation, etc.).George failed to complete his degree course, and by 1902 was a full-time soldier.

On 3 September 1901, George enlisted as a second lieutenant in the 4th Battalion, the Prince of Wales (North Staffordshire Regiment). From 1901 to 1902, he served in South Africa with his battalion during the Second Boer War, seeing service in the Cape Colony and later the Bechuanaland Protectorate. His service in South Africa earned him the Queen's medal with three clasps.

After the Boer War ended in 1902, the battalion returned to barracks in England. On 7 February 1903, George received his first promotion, to lieutenant.

On 11 February 1904, George was seconded as aide-de-camp to Sir Charles Cavendish Boyle, KCMG, the Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Newfoundland. Sir Charles Cavendish Boyle (1849–1916) had been appointed Governor of Newfoundland in March 1901, but shortly after George's appointment as his ADC, he left the island and in August 1904 was appointed Governor of Mauritius, with George accompanying him to his new post.

George received his final promotion to captain on 29 November 1905. Following Boyle's retirement in April 1911, George rejoined the 4th Battalion of the North Staffords, now placed in reserve. Until the outbreak of war in 1914, George found employment as a private tutor, latterly living at The Drive, Hove.

When war was declared in August 1914, the 4th Battalion was mobilised and sent to Guernsey to take over the garrison there, where they were to remain until October 1916. On 22 December 1915, George, now attached to the 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment, was sent to the Western Front.
George spent only three months at the front line, during a relatively quiet period of the war.

On Sunday 12 March 1916, George first complained of ill health, recording in his diary that he "felt very seedy". Over the next few days, his diary reports:

Monday March 13th I felt very seedy all day and went to bed as soon as I got into billets.

Tuesday March 14th I stayed in bed all day. Doctor said I had temperature of 102°, so I came down to 1st Dressing Station and was motored to Bethune No 1 Casualty Clearing Station. My temperature was 103° by then.

Wednesday March 15th Had a poor night, awful cough & throat. Coughed all day. No better by evening. Temp 102°.

Thursday 16th Went on hospital train for Havre base. Took 26 hours. Very tiring.

Friday 17th Arrived Havre 11 am. Here examined at station and detained at No. 2 General Hospital for 6 hours.

Here the diary ends, but George was then sent to England, via Southampton, to Lady Inchcape's Hospital for Officers at 7 Seamore Place, Mayfair, London W1. On arrival at the hospital, on 20 March, he was "very sick" and was diagnosed as suffering from Lobar Pneumonia. He failed to recover, and died on Friday 25 March 1916.

A.F. Marcom, the doctor responsible for treating George, reported that his illness commenced with "trench fever" combined with a heavy cold, "apparently due to exposure whilst on duty". His transfer from the front line to hospital had taken over a week and involved ten separate stages. In his report, Dr. Marcom added "He remained on duty until the last possible moment and was extremely ill with Pneumonia – Bronchitis on arrival here".

George was buried at Brompton Cemetery in West London. His grave bears the inscription: "All these were honoured in their generation & were the glory of their times". (Ecclesiasticus 44:7)

George was awarded the 1914–15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

George's widow, Millicent, died at Crowborough, Sussex on 29 January 1943.

(sources: CWGC, various online and Sussex People)




In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees